Baked Walleye?

• ChrisPy
    Rochester

Hey all!
    Wondering if anyone has a real tasty; tried and true, walleye recipe for the oven?
    When you want to get away from fried… We’ve tried a few, haven’t found on ewe love yet.
    One issue is Summer walleye texture… they get really soft in the oven. Need some cold water fillets!

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’d do the broiler before the oven; throw some butter, lemon, garlic, fresh herbs on top of it, and put it right under the broiler on high (watch it carefully) until you get a nice charred crust on top. Should only take about 5 min. If it’s a really think fillet maybe broiler on low for more time.

maddogg

I’d do the broiler before the oven; throw some butter, lemon, garlic, fresh herbs on top of it, and put it right under the broiler on high (watch it carefully) until you get a nice charred crust on top. Should only take about 5 min. If it’s a really think fillet maybe broiler on low for more time.

I do mine on the charcoal grill the same way. Scaled side down.

JEREMY
    BP

When you leave the skin on dont that dark crud between the meat and skin leave a bad taste

msimon

Blackened walleye is my go to method. Super easy, super fast and super good.

I use a 12″ cast iron skillet (on the grate over the firepit) or a cast iron griddle (smooth side) that’s 10″x14″ that I use on the gas grill

Prep the walleye with a light coat of olive oil and then apply blackening seasoning on both sides. You can buy it at the store or make your own. There’s homemade blackened seasoning recipes online.

On the grill I put the cast iron griddle in the closed grill with all burners on high for 10 minutes (600+ degrees, thermometer is buried) Once you start actually cooking the fillets you need to work pretty fast. Butter the griddle once it’s hot then lay each fillet on the griddle and close the lid for 90 seconds. Temp will drop but that’s OK since the griddle stays hot. After 90 seconds open the cover and flip each fillet quickly and close for another 90 seconds and you’re done. I use a big long stainless steel spatula to flip and I typically plate the walleye at the grill since it’s pretty delicate when it’s done.

For the firepit, using the 12″ skillet, the process is similar. My grate over the firepit rotates out away from the fire so it makes it easy to flip the fillets and then put the grate and skillet back over the fire.

Really good either on the gas grill or over the firepit.

Gerty

Put the fillets on some parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Smother fillet in mayo mixed with parmesan cheese. Crunch up potato chips and put on top. Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Super easy, super quick and they taste great. My wife likes the salt and vinegar chips.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Put the fillets on some parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Smother fillet in mayo mixed with parmesan cheese. Crunch up potato chips and put on top. Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Super easy, super quick and they taste great. My wife likes the slat and vinegar chips.

I do sometimes like this. Thin layer of Mayo, cover top in panko, parm cheese, and lemon zest. Bake in a glass dish at 375 for 15-20 mins. Finish Under broiler for a couple mins until it get really crispy.

wormdunker

Cut filets to smaller pieces (back straps and tail pieces) S&P filets

Dust in S&P/flour, dip in beaten egg and dredge in Italian Panko (substitute Panko with crushed Hi-ho’s 75% and cheese fish cracker mix 25%). Both of these are really good.

Drizzle melted butter over filets.

Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. I sometimes flip half way.

Baking time dependent on filet size.

nord

ChrisPy, until the temps get really cold, I bake them on the grill in an aluminum pan. I use shore lunch oven style and corn flake crumbs about 50/50 on the mixture. I try to keep the temp at around 300° for 30 minutes. In the winter,my wife, with the same mixture bakes it in a glass pan at 350° for around 30 minutes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

leave skin on, add seasonings to your liking, some fresh cut lemon slices and throw on a grill!!!!!!!!

Deuces

This guy looks pretty baked doah
    lol

disco bobber

I use Ritz Crackers for breading. Mix with a “good Quantity” of lemon or garlic pepper. Pour on a little melted butter and bake in a glass dish for 12-13 minutes at 400 degrees.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I like baked parmesan walleye

1 cup shred parmesan
    1ts Italian seasoning
    dash of red pepper flakes

dip the fillet in egg, then coat with the mixture above, bake at 400 for 15min or so then broil for a couple min to just brown the cheese a little

welliou

2 walleye filets from 18″or larger fish
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons mayo
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper
    mix egg, mayo & lemon pepper and set aside
    mince two cloves garlic and two shallots
    melt two tbls butter in fry pan and add one tbls olive oil
    saute garlic and shallots for a couple minutes
    add a couple handfuls or so of panko to the garlic and shallots
    and mix with a spatula until the panko is browned set the panko mix aside
    place Walleye skin side down on a shallow pan lined with parchment paper
    season filets with salt & pepper
    cover just the top side of the filets with first the egg mixuture and then the browned panko. Bake at 300 for 40 minutes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.