Back to School ?

• Fish To Escape

65k subject study out of South Korea showed kids 0-10 yoa spread the virus much less efficiently than other age groups. 10-19 spread it as efficiently or more so than adults.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

65k subject study out of South Korea showed kids 0-10 yoa spread the virus much less efficiently than other age groups. 10-19 spread it as efficiently or more so than adults.

Aligns with what the article said.

Weighing the public health risks posed by the coronavirus against the educational risks of not having in-person instruction, and the impact that closed schools could have on existing racial and social inequities, a new report from the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS) is urging school districts to prioritize reopening, with an emphasis on providing full-time, in-person instruction of children in grades K-5 and special needs students.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fish To Escape wrote:</div>

Aligns with what the article said.

Weighing the public health risks posed by the coronavirus against the educational risks of not having in-person instruction, and the impact that closed schools could have on existing racial and social inequities, a new report from the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS) is urging school districts to prioritize reopening, with an emphasis on providing full-time, in-person instruction of children in grades K-5 and special needs students.

I’m starting to agree with this. Emphasize the efforts on K-5 or K-6 for fully reopening. Their brains are growing and changing so rapidly that they need the schools moreso than most realize. Junior High – Highschool students need schools as well, but don’t necessarily need the direct supervison from a parent when they are not in the building if the space is being used for the younger kids.

A few districts by us have drafted plans with opening K-6, and distance learning 7-12 for the first quarter of the school year. The building would have socially distanced designated areas where kids 7-12 could still come in to work and have internet access if that was an issue at home. Teachers would work from home 2 days, and from school on 3 days staggering their attendance with staff in their wing to encourage distance. Paraprofessionals from the secondary would double down and help with elementary kids so that they could be further distanced into small groups. Lunches would still be provided by the district and delivered to those who request it (as happened in the Spring). Activities would follow MSHSL guidelines as to what is allowed or not. ***This would all be subject to change per the Governor’s announcement/guidelines in the next week***

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just got a notice that masks will be required in schools K and above. I guess I’m ok with it if it gets the kids back in class but don’t really see how it’s gonna work to well with the young ones.

Getting real tired of 2020…..

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like the announcement was made yesterday. Will be up to local school districts and based on the county health numbers they reside in.

lindyrig79

Sounds like our district in FL is planning on full in-class K-6. Thank goodness

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sounds like our district in FL is planning on full in-class K-6. Thank goodness

Thank goodness is right. Thats where my son goes he is going in to 4th this year and I was worried

Jason

Well FL high school announced that its doing 2 days one week and then 3 the next = Every other day scenario. Pretty shitty in my mind.

lindyrig79

Well FL high school announced that its doing 2 days one week and then 3 the next = Every other day scenario. Pretty shitty in my mind.

I agree and I hope they get the high school back to full time soon. All kids need in-person instruction. I do think it’s most critical for K-6 but hope the older kids get back full time soon. Pretty fluid situation I think

Tim Chrouser

Open schools back up. Take all precautionary measures (masks, sanitizors, distancing when it makes sense).
    Give parents option – send your kids to school or keep them home and learn remotely. Teachers – teach at school for 120% of your pay or take 80% of your pay and teach remotely.
    I don’t have a horse in this race, either, but I strongly feel kids need to socialize and parents need to be able to go to work if they choose to do so. If we choose to keep schools closed now we’re basically saying we’re going to keep schools closed until there’s a vaccine…which might be years away or never.

tim hurley

Socializing is important.
    They can’t socialize.
    A vaccine is on the horizon from more than one company, doses are being manufactured right now.
    Safety 1st

A buddy of mine that works in the ICU and has an MPH (knows more about all of this than I ever will) and I were talking about schools recently. He said “we should do the plan that keeps kids and teachers safe, allows the parents to work, gets everyone their education, allows them to be kids and socialize, and doesn’t increase the spread in the community.” I said what plan is that? He said there isn’t one, they are going to have to do the best they can and people need to get used to the fact that it isn’t going to be perfect

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Socializing is important.
    They can’t socialize.
    A vaccine is on the horizon from more than one company, doses are being manufactured right now.
    Safety 1st

How does it take many years for a vaccine. But this one they master in a few months. Its crazy to me.

lindyrig79

Open schools back up. Take all precautionary measures (masks, sanitizors, distancing when it makes sense).
    Give parents option – send your kids to school or keep them home and learn remotely. Teachers – teach at school for 120% of your pay or take 80% of your pay and teach remotely.
    I don’t have a horse in this race, either, but I strongly feel kids need to socialize and parents need to be able to go to work if they choose to do so.

Totally agree and sounds like a good plan to me!

Viewing 14 posts - 151 through 164 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.