August Fishing

Wow talk about how fast summer has gone bye! Can’t believe we are going into are first weekend this August before you know it we will be duck hunting and going back to pitching some jigs and minnows for fish. Anyway, it has slowed down for my guests at the resort for all species right now. When they do get guide trips or when I get a little more advanced angler staying with us they are still finding a fair amount of walleye. The best bite for me has been trolling #5 or #7 flicker shads/ shad raps/ glass shads etc. in 8-15 feet water. The mid lake reefs and big flats work best for me, and if the wind is rolling it gets better. Trolling for me I go about 2-3 mph and keep switching cranks until I find the right color and style. I still bring with spinner rigs and bottom bouncers, as well as the jigging raps, and do fish some of the deeper humps and hunt for the fish rather than the waiting game. IF you keep moving and use your electronics to find fish you will catch some. Off of the walleye subject, we have seen some very nice smallies get caught and the musky bite is on right now. I have seen quite a few fish get caught by the local musky anglers and the guests that are fishing for them are finding good success. Speed kills right now, fish those inline spinners fast, and jerk baits fairly quick. The rock points and rock reefs are the best spots. It will be another busy couple weeks for me for sure, and hopefully everyone is still finding some keepers to put in the box. Good luck fishing and keep moving fast.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Spot-on report Josh!

Rugbyguy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Josh, I’ll be a guest at your resort next weekend the 20-24th. I’ve never fished Leech, so I’ll search you out for some tips. Sounds like bringing up a variety of gear and being willing to search for multiple species will be the best bet.

Rugby Guy make sure you bring some crank baits with, and maybe some lead core. Most of my fish on this end have all come on cranks and lead core the past couple of days. We also are finding some awesome smallie fishing down here too on crankbaits.

Attachments:
    1. mikesmallie.jpg

2. mike-walleye2.jpg

3. bigwalleyejosh.jpg

4. Johnsmallie.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.