Auger Advice (disability)

• tucrs
    NW Metro

I have a question of you for those who have gone to the K-Drill Route. Is this easier for say someone with a bad shoulder, Arm, back?

I am wondering if I should potentially start looking into these types due to an injury last season.

The 3HP solo I run I love but I having started it a few weeks ago just that motion was painful.

I know they are lighter but I more worried about the centrifugal force.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Hey John,

Is it the actual drilling that is causing you difficulty, or is it the starting? If that’s the case, would an electric auger be the answer?

tucrs
    NW Metro

It is more of the torque of the unit. The twisting motion. I need something smoother for the time being. I was just wondering if the drilling effort on one of those has less effort.

Hey John,

Is it the actual drilling that is causing you difficulty, or is it the starting? If that’s the case, would an electric auger be the answer?

Mark Wilson

Don’t have the K-Drill, but I can’t imagine anything being less physically demanding to use that my Nils with a hammer drill. Most hammer drills come with a secondary handle…the longer the more it will help to distribute the force. However, the ice auger doesn’t create much more force than drilling into wood with a large (say ½”) bit.

tswoboda

Have you used a Nils? They put almost no torque on the user’s arms. It really stands out in the ease of drilling a hole compared to all the other augers I’ve used. With a sharp blade on the gas nils I can drill a hole one handed.

I’d imagine the orange nils is even easier on the body since it’s a less aggressive bit. Maybe that on drill would be the answer if you’re looking to minimize rotational torque.

EDIT: Looks like Mark is a faster typer than me.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Sounds good I will check it out!

Thank you!

404 ERROR
    MN

The Nils is a great auger that requires almost zero force on the operator, like stated above. In fact, if you decide to push, you may slow the auger down. Just keep in mind the blade replacement costs if you slip and fall with the auger and you bend the cutting head. It’s only $20 to have the heads sharpened by Frank Deluca and they’ll be good as new. But if bent, he can only do so much before you need to replace…

I’m on year 8 of trouble free Nils operation between using a Tanaka powerhead, hand auger attachment and drill attachment.

Crappy Fisherman

Best setup I’ve seen for shoulders and lower back problems is the Milwaukee Fuel, Clam Plate, Mora blue 6 inch hand auger. I have a shoulder problems, a Pacemaker, 3 back surgeries and I’m 68 years old. The Niles will work about the same as the Mora but it cost a lot more and you have to send the blades in to be sharpened. I actually sold my Niles gas auger after I went to the drill setup. Late ice is the only time you might have a problem, thick soft ice isn’t the best with drill setups but it can be done. I hole hop and drill a lot of holes. This setup works for me. If you go the Milwaukee fuel, get the hammer drill with 1200 inch lbs. of torque and at least 5 amp hour batteries.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

charly1954

I use my 18v drill and with an adapter my mora auger. Works great and lightweight.

tswoboda

I’m not saying the Mora isn’t good, it’s actually what I own and use… BUT the Nils is just soooo much smoother. I run a Mora 7″-8″ set up and my dad runs a Nils 8″, same drill unit – we fish together a lot.

The Mora is more compact, a couple pounds lighter, easier to replace/sharpen blades, $100+ cheaper, and maybe a hair faster than the Nils. BUT the Nils is a completely different drilling experience, super smooth and zero torque put on the user. That’s why my mid 60’s dad has the Nils and I have the Mora.

castle-rock-clown

I had carpal tunnel surgery last year in mid December and couldn’t operate my Strikemaster. I bought an Ion and mounted the 8”Kdrill with a universal adapter and was back on the ice inside a month. Very easy drilling and no recoil and it’s pretty light.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.