GPS for sled or 4 wheeler

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Hey guys

On the latest IDO episode, James commented on the Humminbird 385. I am looking for something that I can take from the sled to the wheeler, and possibly even the boat. I am tired of struggling to see my H2O while headed down the trail. Does anybody else have any ideas, opinions, or suggestions.

Thanks for the help

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I just went through the same thing, I decided the screen on the 385 aint a whole lot bigger than the h20, So I went with a 788, for the bigger screen.but I think the 500 series has the same size screen as the 788, so they may be an option also. Another thing I like about the 788 (there others with this same option) is the card slot is on the front versus the h2o,where you have to remove the batteries to get at the card. also you cant hook a transducer to the h20

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

I agree, it seemed like the screen was a little on the small side. It looks like on the 788, you can opt for the internal or external GPS antenna. Which did you get?

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

I use my Lowrance 522..goes from boat to sled to ATV to blue box and back. I can share the chip with my H2Oc when I’m on foot that way too……

Josh Runksmeier
    Pequot Lakes, MN

Why is your pic the same
    It should be changed buy now

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Very true, but I am waiting for the pictures off Sewman’s camera. I only have the one’s off my phone, he said he had a couple good one’s. (I hope) Not a good day to forget the camera at the cabin!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Do a search on ebay or anywhere else and try to find a Global Map unit by Lowrance. They were bullet proof, and take a chip. They only downside is you have to buy the old 2000 series pucks to mount for an antenae.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Chris

I was thinking about that as well, but I was hoping to avoid the “antenna”. Thought maybe going with the internal antenna would make swapping from sled to wheeler or boat easier. But I don’t know. Are the internal one’s as good as external?? I could deal with an antenna if needed, its not like I would be swapping it everyday.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Velcro is your friend!

But yeah..anything with an internal antennae is or can be spendy. I have a GM and love it! But if you could find a Garmin 188, you would have Internal GPS, and a transducer as well. I loved those units!

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Chris

Thanks for the input and ideas. Thats what I am looking for.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Good luck in your search…I’ll keep my eyes open for you…

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Husky
    I went with the Internal antenna,don’t want to mess with a puck on the sled and quad. The 2010 and older 788’s are not HD and are selling cheaper,FYI a new one on ebay was $420 and up last I looked. You may find a cho model also.they come without a transducer and should be cheaper. If you are only looking for gps a transducer wont be needed. another option is Cabelas bargain cave.they are closing out the old models.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Hi Mark,

Keep in mind you’ll have to buy new mapping chips if you
    change to a different brand.

Good luck with your decision.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Quote:

Hi Mark,

Keep in mind you’ll have to buy new mapping chips if you
    change to a different brand.

Good luck with your decision.

Only Lakemaster, Navionics work in both Lowrance and Bird!

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Today, I ordered a Humminbird 788ci from Reeds Sporting Goods. $499.99 with transducer. I think/hope I will be hapy with it. Plus I do run the Navionics chip.

Thanks for the help guys!!

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Husky
    if you want mount ideas,go to the Humminbird website and search for rm-atv or rm-auto. I ordered one,aint here yet,but should be sweet, as it works with the quick disconnect on the 788! aint cheap, but the footprint is much smaller than the mount that comes with the 788. it is a special ram mount.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.