Polaris, Can AM, Honda which would you decide?

• skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Hands down Can Am. And I own a Yamaha

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

For pure power and speed-Can Am, For comfort of ride-Polaris, for dependability and longevity-Honda. I have a Polaris 800 and love it.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Are you talking ATV, sled, side by side? Sport or utlity?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

and what are you going to be using it for?

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Can-Am all the way, when I bought mine I test drove every make out there and the Can-Am won hands down in every aspect but price.
    I’ve had mine for 4 years and have had problem or repair zero.
    You will have to pay more, but you get more!!!

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Honda for resale, CanAM for comfort, avoid Polaris!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

For pure power and speed-Can Am, For comfort of ride-Polaris, for dependability and longevity-Honda. I have a Polaris 800 and love it.

X2

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have two Kawi Brute Forces. Love them but not sure I would get one again. No problems and they are really fun machines. I think I would get the Canned Ham 1000 if I had to buy one today.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I have owned Honda,Yamaha, and now Can Am. I have liked every machine I have owned…. But I LOVE my Can Am. It’s six years old now and I have had zero troubles. I am not easy on it either. It’s basically used for nothing but food plots, snow plowing, and brush hogging. Good luck on your decision!

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Lots of factors going into buying a 4 wheeler.Be honest with your self about what you want to use it for. That should be the biggest part of your decision. If somebody you are dealing with is just trying to push a model on you with no regard to what you want to do with it them move on as all they care about is the sale.

Now with that said the number one selling atv in the world is the Polaris 500 ho. Is that the best machine out there simply put no. It is a great bargain for what you get and a great machine. Simply put the best value in a 4×4 machine out there that will do anything you want with a wheeler. Now this posting is going to be about opinion just like the Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford. We all know Chevy is best but everybody has their own opinion no matter how wrong they are!

I have sold most every brand of atv offered at least in the big manufacturers. Here are a few things I have learned over the 15 years I have been doing this:

Arctic Cat: Great changes since 2009 and make a great machine and very heavy duty clutching system and the only wheeler that will still move if the belt gets wet! Some times not a great price point and usually dumb things they come back for repair wise. But a very reliable machine!

Can Am: perceived as the best b/c they are the most expensive. Saw lots of them come back for service and durability wasn’t there!

Honda: Here are the machines we build and this is what we are building so take it or leave it! VERY far behind in technology! Reliable machine but not like it used to be! A perception to the honda name!

Kawasaki: Not really good at anything but a decent machine for the money and reliable.

Polaris: The best resale in the industry, great innovation, best ride and handling hands down! Number one selling ATV what more can you say than that! Price and value!

Suzuki: A good machine for the money and usually a great buy. Not a stand out really in many areas but hardly ever see them for anything but general service. Good bang for the buck!

Yamaha: A lot of first in the ATV world but quicklly fell behind and and are lacking in fresh idea’s and lack of improvement. Pretty durable but very expensive to fix!

Bottom line is go with who WANTS to earn your buisness and service you to your expectations! Pick something you like. Make sure you test ride it! Buy what you like as nobody makes Junk today!

Good Luck!
    Millerman!

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Oh yeah if you want to PM me for my number I would be happy to discuss the ATV thing some more.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Honda I bought new a 1995 300 and it still plows the drive way 75 yards. It also went trapping for 5 years every day. I even pulled trees out to turn into fire wood. I have had some minor repairs but she still works.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

For the light use like it sounds like you will be doing most machines will suit your needs, try riding a few different ones and see what fits you. For deep snow you will want larger tires, possibly a lift and chains all the way around, or a set of tracks if that is in the budget.

I work my machines hard so I prefer the honda, it still has a more traditional transmission. I have never been a fan on the belt driven machines, I have burnt up way to many belts.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“Kawasaki: Not really good at anything but a decent machine for the money and reliable.”

I beg to differ. Their V-twin was pure innovation and all others have followed. Overall smaller in dimension than the others. Power to weight ratio makes this a very fast machine. But not fastest thanks to Kawi never improving what was a ground breaking engine. With all the power and noises they make it is a very exciting machine to drive but not for everyone.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

ATV for ice fishing deep snow.

Polaris or Arctic Cat. 500 mininum.

hunter991

I would go Honda or Yamaha. Very reliable machines. Can-am’s are nice but ungodly expensive and they were plagued with weak frames. Also, took a long time for dealers to fix due to part availablity. I have a 550 yamaha that i couldn’t be happier with. its price is good, and its a tough machine that does everything well. May not be the best in every catagory, but its great in every catagory. Alsoh have a suzuki which has been rock solid. We ride and use our machines pretty hard on trails and working in the yard. They plow snow, and are used year round. My family mostly rides hondas and they are very reliable too. they have less ground clearance however and lack a true diff lock. I would not buy a polaris, or Cat.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

ATV for ice fishing deep snow.

something with tracks. Deep snow and tires don’t play nice together.

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

Honda for resale, CanAM for comfort, avoid Polaris!

X2

hazen420

lol i know its probably a fluke but my father in law just bought a can am , $16,000 later…. and within a week the front tire was not holding air and the battery was weak, to the point where it would almost not start after a “pit stop” during a ride,and he drives like a sissy lol it was not caused by abuse. i drive a 2012 mud pro, drive it like its meant to and have 0 issues… lol just saying… but yes his can am has alotof power. The worst part is he brought it back to canam and they wouldnt fix it and said it was normal.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.