Atv with a plow thoughts

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’m thinking of getting an atv with a plow. More than likely a little older. I use a tractor to plow, but I think it would be handy for pulling the portable and tiny permanent on the lake. Also wife could occasionally plow with it tractor is too big and too old for her to operate. Driveways maybe 40 yards or so.. wondering how people’s experience with these has been? I wouldn’t be doing any trail riding. Would more than likely be selling an enclosed snowmobile trailer and older 2002 sled I have. The sled doesn’t get used much and I’m on the lake we fish smaller 300 acre lake. Seems a four wheeler would be more handy fishing than a sled.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Also for the atv guys. If I went this route would you recommend a used 9-10 year old Polaris or a new cf moto?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have a Polaris 57O with a plow. I also have a tractor with a blower. Pros and cons to both

The atv/ plow is nice for quick jobs and when the snow isn’t too deep. The faster you go, the further the snow flies.

Similar for ice fishing… the atv is really nice for short to medium distance. However if you want to fish big water and cover distances a snowmobile is superior

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

You’ll love the ATV for about everything you said.

I don’t know enough about CF Moto to give an honest answer but my gut says to stay away…especially if plowing.

Deleted

Stay away from Polaris and cf. I’ve had Yamaha & Honda and never failed me.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Thanks for feedback I guess my main concern for plowing would be a deep snow and being screwed,but may justify keeping the tractor around as back up. We’re on a small lake and ice fish the lake 90% of the time so to Mel my makes sense versus a snowmobile. I’m down the street from the landing so if it’s bare tar I can’t drive the sled easily.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I bought a new cf moto 2 years ago. Getting a plow on it next week. We’ll see how it goes. Haven’t had any issues with the machine yet and only paid 4000 for it new. C force 400.

dbright
    Cambridge

I plowed with a foreman 450 up until last year since 04. I was only not able to get my driveway opened up at the lake once. Spring snow upwards of 20″. I have a blower on my John Deere now but I am looking for a plow for my sxs. With my plow it usually took me 10-20 minutes and with the blower it is usually a hr.

Ice Cap

I have a Ranger 900 XP with a plow. Been plowing with it for 4 seasons and now and it does great. Like everything else you have to know how to use it and realize it’s limitations. If the snow is really deep or heavy I leave the blade 6 inches or more off the ground. No need to push it all at once. Make a couple passes to get it cleared to the ground. Don’t think you are going to push a bank of snow back further by slamming into it. My son would hit a bank of snow so hard the rear wheels leave the ground. If you already plow with a tractor you have the how to’s down I imagine.

As far as ice fishing it’s great. I have a hard cab with a heater. I also bought the Polaris/Otter flip over that mounts directly to the box of the Ranger with the lock and ride system. Perfect set up imo.

A snowmobile will go out in deeper snow. But if it’s like the last half of last year that’s great but what are you going to do once you get there? Usually if there’s that much snow there’s slush and standing water under it in which case I’ll be dry in the hard house or on my couch.

Right now they are predicting 12 to 20″ of snow starting tomorrow. I will have no problems moving it with the Ranger.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Slip,
    I have 700 Griz with a 60″ plow. I use it for plowing and out on the lake I pull a small trailer.
    For deep snow plowing, you need to get that initial pass cut thru then nibble away at it. Chains help and some years I would chain up fronts and backs and both were chained when I went to LOTW.

Another thing to remember – if you ONLY use it to plow snow at your home it is covered under your home owners policy. If you use it recreationally it needs a separate policy. At least it does for me.
    Long story on how I found that out. crazy doah

Ice Cap

Ditto on the insurance. I had a separate policy on mine. Believe it or not somebody hit and run it while it was parked out in front of my garage. Actually he hit my trailer smoker first which probably goes close to a ton and then pushed that into my wheeler. $7500 damage to the wheeler. By all rights it should have been totaled. Even the dealer who did the repair was surprised the insurance company didn’t total it out.

Reason being I had it insured for cash value which at the time was about $9500 and then I had $10 grand in accessory insurance so the insurance would have had to give me about $20 grand. Which it would have actually cost more to replace it. In hindsight the insurance company saved me 5 grand or so because I would have spent that out of pocket replacing it I’m sure.

Henpecked

I plowed with a Yamaha Grizzly last winter and while it was great for the first few weeks, I run out of snow storage before January and had to use the blower the rest of the winter. They don’t pile snow very well so make sure you have sufficient room to store snow.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have a 1996 Polaris Explorer 400 which I have plowed snow with it going on 21 years and only maintenance issues chains gears belts etc. As mentioned above it is great for light snowfalls or heavier if is the powder type much faster then my Skidsteer. Using the Polaris takes about 15 minutes mostly because I am plowing at 25-30 MPH as it throws the snow farther, according to my Odometer I plow roughly 1.5 -2 miles as usually multiple passes are needed, never had chains on it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have a 1996 Polaris Explorer 400 which I have plowed snow with it going on 21 years and only maintenance issues chains gears belts etc. As mentioned above it is great for light snowfalls or heavier if is the powder type much faster then my Skidsteer. Using the Polaris takes about 15 minutes mostly because I am plowing at 25-30 MPH as it throws the snow farther, according to my Odometer I plow roughly 1.5 -2 miles as usually multiple passes are needed, never had chains on it.

shock

That’s moving.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

My brother and I are headed to check one out. Stay tuned for details. Road trip.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Keep your snowmobile helmet, it will be needed when it gets cold and windy and you have to plow into the wind

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom P. wrote:</div>

shock

That’s moving.

SEND IT!!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Thanks for the pointers. Snagged the 2010 550 sportsman. Was in great shape for a 2010 and it looks like with the forecast I’ll be trying it out tomorrow

Attachments:
    1. 6CB913D3-9BA0-484E-AF6B-416C902B64A3.jpeg

shefland
    Walker

Just remember. start the winter pushing the snow way back. plan for the whole winter, once the snow bank settles, not long you will not be able to move it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.