ATV

• Nitrodog

My buddy has a 2014 arctic cat atv. We were out fishing this weekend, on several occasions it didn’t want to start. We figured out that the fuel pump was not always working. We would let it sit and try it later and it would start right up. Don’t think it has anything to do with the cold temps. It sat out last night and started right up this morning. Any ideas what is wrong

mattgroff

I think my buddy had this happen to his brand new Arctic cat wheeler. It has something to do with the relays. When he is not using it when it’s cold.he took the one out for his fuel pump and kept it in his pocket to keep it warm. To get him through the week when he was fishing. Than took it in. Not sure if that’s any help but I know they had a recall for something like this. Thanks Matt.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I had something like that happen on my old arctic cat pantara sled, turn the key, and the fuel pump wouldnt kick in, I never did find out why before I sold it, but it was defiantly the fuel pump that would not allow it to start. really sucked one night 6 inches of ice 2 miles out on the lake, and no fuel pump, long cold walk, twice

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Yep, if the fuel pump does not run just as soon as the key is turned on, the relay is not closing.

The relay is located under the seat, inside the fuse box. There is a main relay and two smaller relays. One for the fan and one for the fuel pump. The fuel pump relay is the one to unplug, except you cant see the label until you unplug it.

Just unplug the relay and stick it in an inside bib pocket for a couple minutes to warm up. Then it should work fine. Mine only acts up if it get below about -15 degrees. Above that I have no problems. I’ve just learned to listen for the fuel pump before cranking the starter.

I even bought a replacement relay from the dealer and the new one is no better. That was 2 years ago so they may have improved them by now.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

thanks for that info that it is not fixed yet, this fall I bought a brand new 2015 arctic cat wheeler at least now I know what to do if it ever happens

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Yes, it sucks when it happens and you are stranded because you have no clue what to do. My machine is a 2013 that I bought new in 2014 and this happened the first cold day I was out. My buddy towed me back to his house 1/2 mile away. Fiddled with it in his garage and it started up after awhile (everything warmed up a bit).

I figured I had water in the fuel and it had froze up. Put some additive in and ran the heck out of it. Same thing happened the next day. My machine started just fine after being inside an enclosed trailer all night. Got out on the lake and two hours later it would not start and I knew the fuel pump was not working.

Talked to a knowledgeable dealer/mechanic and he told me about the temps affecting the relays. Also told me how to warm the relay to get going again.

I wish there was a permanent fix, as it is an annoyance at best to have to deal with it.

ponyexpress

Lots of relays are universal. I wonder if you could find a different one at a parts store.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Lots of relays are universal. I wonder if you could find a different one at a parts store.

That was my thought too but I have not checked it out yet.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

agree on the universal comment. we have used a lot of Bosch relays on snowplows and never had an issue with them not working, and they cost $1.50. maybe AC got a bad lot, not sure.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Very interesting, I have a 2014 Grizzly that left me stranded 2 years in a row on LOTW when temps were sub -10
    I could not figure out why, it just wouldn’t pop.
    Then last week when it was -10 I went out to start it, I turned the key on pumped the throttle about 40 times, held it to the floor and was amazed when it popped. Let off on the throttle and tried again. Bingo!

CaptainMusky

I liked when things were simpler. My AC ATV is a carbed machine, but it has the automatic choke which drives me nuts. Half the time I don’t think its working. I wish it had a manual choke. Its a big single cylinder so when it is brutally cold out its a bear to crank over. I’m always nervous about getting stuck on the ice because it will kill the battery cranking it over, but so far it hasn’t happened.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I liked when things were simpler. My AC ATV is a carbed machine, but it has the automatic choke which drives me nuts. Half the time I don’t think its working. I wish it had a manual choke. Its a big single cylinder so when it is brutally cold out its a bear to crank over. I’m always nervous about getting stuck on the ice because it will kill the battery cranking it over, but so far it hasn’t happened.

My 06 AC has a dinky little primer on the carb. Its kinda a pain to use but it sure is nice on cold starts. I dont think it would start without it after sitting for long. Summer or winter. A must to get fuel flowing to carb.

Gitchi Gummi

This is my first year with an ATV (2002 sportsman 700) and to give me extra peace of mind on the really cold ice fishing outings, I have brought a jump pack along with me out on the ice. It takes up hardly any room and I like the extra peace of mind. Granted it wont guarantee my machine will start, it will certainly give me a lot more chances at it turning over.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Jake,
    It doesn’t help if your not getting any gas. Trust me on that one.
    I had my generator running with a battery charger and got nothing, now that I know about the relay I won’t need a jump pack.
    I do carry a jump pack, but that’s what I use to run lights and charge phones.
    OK and maybe for a jump every now and then.

Gary M

My 2015 570 sportsman didn’t start over the weekend.
    It turn over but would not pop. I could hear fuel pump turn on but would not start
    Would relays be same for Polaris
    I could put a hand warmer pack on it to warm it up if that would work

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I too had the handwarmer thought. I first need to learn what the heck a relay looks like. redface

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll be trying mine Friday morning after sitting for two weeks. I keep the battery in the house so that wont be an issue. I’ll plug in the hose heater for an hour or so and it should fire right up. Without doing those two things I highly doubt I could get it running considering the temp.

big_g
    Isle, MN

this is a relay

Attachments:
    1. relay.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks “G”
    I will try and find the one on my Griz. I hope its easily accessible.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

x10 on the relay, EFI’s seem to be notorious for it.

Still amazes me they don’t offer pull start anymore either.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mr B. Eves,
    You ever try pull starting a 700? Unless your a gorilla forget about it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

x10 on the relay, EFI’s seem to be notorious for it.

Yes, I have a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO and I believe this is the last year they offered a carbed version, which is what mine is.

I have none of the issues mentioned. My ATV sits in the frozen shed at my hunting property for weeks, I go in, pull the choke, turn the key and she fires right up.

One thing that I think helps is I have a little solar battery maintainer that sits in a south-facing window and plugs into the ATV’s lighter plug. I actually think this works pretty well, I’ve never had any battery issues. Even below 10 degrees it spins up just like it’s warm, no slow/bogging down starter down. Seems really to be worth it for an ATV that doesn’t get used all the time.

Grouse

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Mr B. Eves,
    You ever try pull starting a 700? Unless your a gorilla forget about it.

Easy fix, get a 500!

Gary M

My friends 570 Can Am efi started and sat outside -26 out fired right up.
    Mine sat in enclose trailer No go.

Pull start on EFI won’t help . Fuel pump needs to be turn on.

Bought this Polaris for ice fishing. What good is it if don’t start in cold.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

you can pull start efi, my 2016 Honda has pull start and AC had it on their snowmobiles in the late 90’s. most makers use compression release cams so starting the bigger engines isn’t an issue.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Like Gary said – Pull starting won’t help if your not getting fuel.
    My Griz will crank for a long time, but no pop.
    Now that I know the secret I’m confident in it starting.
    Actually, last Sunday I took it out of Hunters to the Boot solo. Windy, Snowing, Cold, It sat for 4 hours. Turned the key on, pumped the heck out of it, pushed the start button yay yay yay yay yay waytogo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Grouse, 2013 is the last year of the 500ho carb, then it’s went to the 570. FYI

Gary M

Thanks eelpoutguy

I called a different dealer talked to a service guy.He said Polaris are known for that . Told me to turn key on and off several times while listening to fuel pump cycle on and off. Might have to do it 3 times he said it will go after awhile.Repeat until she fires up.
    Make sure battery is fully charged also.

I will test it out hope that it works .

John Timm

My 2014 Suzuki Kingquad 750 has a pull start and is fuel injected. I put the recoil on myself as my old 2005 700 had one on it and Suzuki never changed the design, but opted to not put it on them after 2009 or so? It actually isn’t terrible to start with it if you know what your doing. I’d rather have a chance of pull starting it if the battery went bad than to just be stranded like all other atv’s made now.

Gary M

6 below this morning
    Left ATV outside . Turn it over didn’t start.Try turning key on and off to cycle fuel pump several times. Still no go. Turned key on pump the throttle 8 to 10 times didn’t count started right up.
    Work for me hope that’s the solution from now on.

Thanks to eelpoutguy

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.