Cat Tip of the Day: How to Hook a Bullhead

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

On the Catfish Forums we get a lot of questions about how do you hook a bullhead. One of the things about flathead fishing is that you will get a lot of runs and when you set the hook there is a good chance you will come up with a miss. Flatheads have a huge mouth and they will engulf bait unfortunately when you set the hook there is also good chance you will pull the hook from the bait and right back out that big, wide open mouth. Missing a clicker screaming flathead run after waiting several hours for the opportunity tends to get most beginners and even experienced catmen questioning how they have hooked their bait.

There are many kinds of flathead baits and just as many ways to hook up bait. Some people prefer to hook their baits through the mouth, others go 45 degrees across the back, and many people hook the bait just in front of the tail. I’m going to show you how I do it and will tell you right now before the debate starts that I am not claiming this is the one and only method. How you hook a big, feisty flathead bait is a matter of personal preference and one in which you must have confidence. This is the way I do it and it works well for me and I am confident that if I get a run I’m going to hook up with the fish.

Bullheads are my preferred flathead bait. I use circle hooks and have had good luck with them. I have used J hooks and have a leader holder full of pre-tied J-hooks but I seldom use them. Since going to circle hooks I have a good hook-up rate so they are my Go-To hooks. Here is how I hook up my baits and I would use this technique no matter what type of hook I was using.

In my opinion, flatheads will in most situations take a bait head first. This is based on personal experience from looking down the throat of a freshly caught big flathead and seeing the tail of my bullhead just sticking out of his gullet. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so the attached photo should explain how I hook up a bullhead but I will explain it here also.

I primarily fish a two hook cat bait harness made up of two snelled circle hooks. I use a large 8/0 Circle hook as my main hook and run it parallel with the spine near the fin on the top of the back. I run the hook just under the skin and back out leaving plenty of gap in the hook. I run my hooks so that they come out with the hook point facing the head. If the flathead takes the bait head first I want him to encounter the hook point as soon as he takes the bait. As I said I use a two hook cat harness and hook both hooks the same – the large front hook near the back fin and the stinger hook near the tail parallel with the spine and just under the skin, hook point forward. I have an excellent hook up rate.

That is all there is to it – simple and easy to do. Watch out for those side fins and the top fin on the bullheads as they can make a painful puncture. I don’t trim off any fins and I don’t think a flathead is in the least bit worried about them. At this point in the season I’ve been poked by enough bullheads that I’ve learned to just put up with it. If the sting bothers you there is a product out there called Sting-Eze which is for bug bites but it works pretty good on bullhead stings to.

Good fishing!!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Great info Steve, thanks! I’m deciding whether to go or not tonight, if I do I’m staying all night…..

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Good luck, Bob. Windy right now but forecast is for calm winds tonight. Should be good catting weather.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Kudos Steve, nap time, see what happens…. If they’d only get out of the launch!

catdadmn
    Inactive
    Southeast minnesota

I like the rig very much and on occasion have used such a rig. My one question is to the legality of it in Minnesota. I am not sure and do not have time to look it up right now but I believe in interior waters you can only use one hook unless it is part of a lure. I believe on the border waters you can use more than one hook but would only be allowed to use one rod at that point. I could be totally wrong on this so please do not be offended. Someone look it up and let us know the regs. I do know that with such things as Quick Strike rigs used for Pike fishing all they do is put a spinner on them and they become a “lure”.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

I like the rig very much and on occasion have used such a rig. My one question is to the legality of it in Minnesota. I am not sure and do not have time to look it up right now but I believe in interior waters you can only use one hook unless it is part of a lure. I believe on the border waters you can use more than one hook but would only be allowed to use one rod at that point. I could be totally wrong on this so please do not be offended. Someone look it up and let us know the regs. I do know that with such things as Quick Strike rigs used for Pike fishing all they do is put a spinner on them and they become a “lure”.

It is a legal rig because I add beads and a spinner to make it a lure. Read my previous Cat Tip of the Day: Cat Bait Harness and I discuss making the 2 hook rig legal. It is basically a quick strike rig.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I was out last night and picked up a feisty 28″ flathead on a bullhead. I thought I would post these pictures to show you the value of that extra stinger hook. I missed this fish with the main hook but the stinger hook hung up right in the roof of his mouth. The roof of their mouth is some tough stuff and that sharp circle hook was firmly embedded. You can see with that big mouth it is pretty easy for a single hook to just whip right out of his mouth on the hook set so this shows you the value of having one more chance with that stinger hook.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

There have been several questions asked about whether the Cat Bait Harness would be considered a legal rig to use on Minnesota in-land water. This question was posed to the Minnesota DNR and their response indicates the rig would not be challenged by a Conservation Officer. There is a rule change in process that would make the 2-hook rig legal – sounds like that language is in the same package with the bullhead rule change. Here is the DNR’s e-mail response:

To: merkman <>
    Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44:38 AM
    Subject: Re: Legal or illegal?

You are correct that the current statute language would not allow either rig to be used. However, these are fairly common configurations used for angling that are generally not causing problems.

With that in mind, DNR started a permanent rule package in process in about 2006 that would clearly allow up to three single or multiple hooks that are either inserted into live bait or within three inches of the live bait. Only one live bait could be used on a line. Live bait would include bait that is alive, dead, or preserved. That rule package would also allow one additional single or multiple hook when the additional hook is within three inches of an artificial bait. Artificial bait would include jugs, artificial flies, and flashing spoons. Quick strike rigs and stinger hook arrangements meeting these requirements could be used.

Originally, we thought that rule change would be completed in 2007, but some of the changes in the rule package have been more controversial than originally anticipated, and is taking more time to get through all the legal processes.

While this 3-inch rule language has not yet been adopted, it is a standard that our officers have been working with in the interim, and is acceptable for anglers to use.

One other comment – I cannot tell for sure how large the bullhead is in the photo that was attached to your email, but bullheads that are used for bait cannot be over seven inches long (legal definition of a minnow). The hitch comes in when transporting live bullheads that are over seven inches. There will likely be some changes that allow some limited transportation of the larger bullheads for use as bait in the rule package I mentioned above, but I am not certain of the details at this point in time. If you catch bullheads in the same body of water you are fishing and do not remove them from the water body, that should be okay.

Pat Watts, DNR Enforcement Division, St Paul MN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.