Cat Tip of the Day: Brush Anchor

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Anybody that has ever lost a $70 anchor while catfishing will appreciate this cat tip. Many times we anchor up in the tangle of a big logjam. Whenever we put down an anchor in that situation we wonder if we are going to get it back. What you need in your cat box is a good Brush Anchor.

A Brush anchor works best when fishing those snag infested backwaters and those long stretches of outside bend logjams. It is about as simple as it gets – just attach it to a rope, clip it to a log or snag and snug it off on the anchor cleat or gripper on the front of the boat. You don’t need to drop an anchor into the current in the middle of a logjam, just a quick tie off and start fishing.

I also have a “Brush Gripper” that works very well. It is a lot more heavy duty and I use this one when anchoring in heavier current areas. It tends to grab tighter and hold better. Do a google search for Brush Gripper and you should find it easy. Cabela’s and Catfish Connection both carry it – price is around $13 or so.

You can always try to tie off when fishing the tangles but believe me a Brush Anchor or Brush Gripper saves you time and effort. You won’t be hanging off the boat in the dark trying to untangle your rope from around a cold, wet log I use mine almost every cat trip.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That looks to simple to work Steve.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.