Aqua vu 5c or marcum

• competitor
    South central, mn

I am seriously looking at a camera to learn what is really beneath me while both hard and soft water seasons. I like the portability of the Aqua vu, but hear great things about Marcum. Is the Aqua vu a quality enough camera to get the job I want done? I would like to know if cameras are usable at all in the not so clear wAters of southern Minnesota? I will use it soon at Devils Lake, Winnie, and all over in the summer too. Thanks for your insight!

Riebs

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I bought an LX-9 last year and was very excited about the camera function. The first dozen times I fished with it I used the camera every time. What I found as the season grew long was that the camera became less and less useful. There was almost 30 inches of ice plus two feet of snow on top of it by February of last year. I found that so little light penetrated the water that camera function was not good. The Marcum camera is not very good in low light and as far as I know the Aqua Vu cameras are about the same. Also, anything below 15 feet even in relatively clear water is difficult to see.
    So far this season I haven’t used the camera. I find I can “see” just fine with the sonar function on this unit and don’t want to hassle with hooking the camera up. Once it is set up I also find myself “stuck” in one place. This year I have found more success in moving around a lot. I guess if I were going to use a camera a lot for checking structure I would buy the Aqua Vu. It’s smaller and easier to drop down and pull back up which is a great way to do hole hopping.
    I guess it just depends what style you prefer. For tournament fishing I believe a camera is essential. If you’re just fishing for leisure I think they can be a lot of fun, but otherwise not worth the hassle (IMO).

competitor
    South central, mn

Wharf Rat,
    Thanks a million! That is what I was looking for. I did not want another hassle to carry around. I bet the LX-9 is awesome though. I may need to retire the LX-5 and move into a new Marcum unit. Probably the LX-7 with a separate smaller camera.

Thanks again!

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Though I have not used it yet, I bought an Aqua-vu micro at the recommendation of several ice fishing competitors. They like the smaller one. Will fit in a pocket and is easy to lower to determine structure and/or fish species.

competitor
    South central, mn

Thanks Amos! I would assume if the guys in the know are using them, they have to work for what I want it for. Post again if you get a chance to use it please. Good luck!

Riebs

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

What’s interesting is in some conditions, even though you will get the “snowstorm” effect of particles in the water the Aqua Vu line has a very bright light. I could see fish at night that my Marcum 625SD could not. That being said the quality is night and day different and better with Marcum. In Most scenarios their camera’s are far superior to anything on the market. Just have to balance what you can afford. For $200, Vex’s 800 cam isn’t bad if you can’t swing a $699 VS825 purchase. Its not a 3x difference IMO.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here’s a MarCum VS-825 in 50 feet of water in the scour hole of Dam #3 near Red Wing.

It’s the same camera that’s in the Lx-9.

competitor
    South central, mn

Doug, thanks. That helps reinforce what i have read. People really seem to like that Sony camera. I am just wondering about lugging around another bag, but I want quality as well or I won’t bring anything along that does not work or serve its purpose. Interesting that the Aqua vu does some things better. Also good to hear.

BK, that is amazing footage! No wonder you river guys catch awesome fish. If that camera can pick up that footage 50 feet down in river current, it must be amazing in the 20 foot depths in the clear lakes up north.

I needed to know the difference in quality to help with my decision. Thanks guys!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well I don’t have any video from up North, but here’s 24 feet or less on an over cast day.

Don’t miss the Everts Christmas Tree around 3:20. )

competitor
    South central, mn

Wow!!!!! Ok, I HAVE to get a camera now! I love Marcum stuff and have had great luck with their customer service. I really wish they would come out with a more portable camera……..that is still my sticking point. Thanks for listing BK, that is awesome!! Makes me want to brave the river again out of Everts!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.