Anyone use a Truck Tent?

• Jake
    Western WI

We are looking at a truck tent like the one in the image below. Has anyone had any experience with these? Our last camping trip turned out with the tent and everything inside soaked after the second day. Since it’s time to replace the tent, though maybe this would be a good replacement. It would be nice to be up off the ground, and could put an air mattress between the wheel wells. TIA for any input!

Attachments:
    1. napier-backroadz-truck-tent-rain-fly.jpg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

No, we just use a topper on the truck, queen size mattress fits perfect.

Jake
    Western WI

I thought about a topper too. Unfortunately I have limited storage space to store one of those when not in use.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Key is to have a good tent, a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground all the way around. Cabelas and REI make a tent like this $400 range for a 6 man. Being with the Boy scouts we camp a lot and this is the best style tent.

Ben
    Central MN

One thing to think about with this kind of tent is that if you’re sleeping in the truck bed then you no longer have that area to store gear when you’re set up.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

In the several years of using a tent cot, no other tent has made me feel like I got the wrong one!

Mine is a gander mountain xl.

Been in all weather conditions in it.

Plus, I set it up and tear it down in an instant.
    I’m 6’7″ and it is roomy.

munchy
    NULL

One thing to think about with this kind of tent is that if you’re sleeping in the truck bed then you no longer have that area to store gear when you’re set up.

That’s the one thing that keeps me away from them.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

My big concern, other then losing my truck bed for supplies, is that the rain will run down the tent or other areas and the box will have some standing water in it…making it very wet!

But no-I have no experiences.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

That’s the one thing that keeps me away from them.

x3
    Also you have to take it down to go to town with your truck. Like say it is raining out and your wife wants to hit up the local stores. You can guess who will be sitting in the cab while you take the tent down in the rain. Or you ran into some IDO friends at the camp site and they drank all your Hamms the night before. You will have to take it down to restock.

Kyhl
    Savage

x2 also you have to take it down to go to town with your truck.

I had one for my last truck and it worked ok but only used it a few trips. Eventually I went back to the regular tent for this reason. Every time I wanted to use the truck I had to take down the tent. It got to the point that I would take it down each morning then pitch it again in the evening.

Need bait? Take down the tent and plan to put it back up again. Beer? Breakfast in town? You get the idea.

I also gave up on sleeping on the ground many years ago. The truck tent was a little cozy if trying to sleep two. Two cots gives separation but it is still close quarters. Might be better if going solo. Even then, I switched back to our big 11X11 Eureka dome for solo trips because once set, it could stay there for the entire trip, and it stayed dry. It was tricky to set up and take down for one person because of the size, but that was easier than pitching and breaking down multiple times.

I wouldn’t do the truck tent again. Just get a good tent and be done with it.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I thought about a topper too. Unfortunately I have limited storage space to store one of those when not in use.

I’m guessing stout meant just a standard topper (not a camper topper), When I got mine 7 years ago i had been brainstorming a pully system to rig the topper up in the garage when i didn’t have it on. 7 years later i have yet to take the topper off once.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My big concern, other then losing my truck bed for supplies, is that the rain will run down the tent or other areas and the box will have some standing water in it…making it very wet!

But no-I have no experiences.

I never had that experience with mine. I made damn sure it was setup properly so that wouldn’t happen. Made it through 60+ mph winds and a severe thunderstorm warning perfectly dry. Everyone else sleeping on the ground had to dry out their gear and tents.

I liked mine when I had it and the only downside is that you had to take it out in order to drive anywhere.

Jake
    Western WI

Thanks everyone for the responses. I certainly have some more to think about now. If I do still go this route, we may need to slim down the packing list a bit. I would miss having the storage space in the bed.

Jake
    Western WI

Biggill, do you recall which one you had, if they still make it? I was thinking I could just pop it down and roll the tonneau cover over for any trips into town.

Kyhl
    Savage

Biggill, do you recall which one you had, if they still make it? I was thinking I could just pop it down and roll the tonneau cover over for any trips into town.

That’s not a bad idea. I didn’t have a tanneau cover at the time.

Much of the setup and breakdown will be connecting straps to the wheel wells and bottom of the box. Those would have to come off and tossed inside.
    Then there are poles and a fly like a regular tent to still break down and reassemble.

rubberduck
    east bethel

I got one from sportsman guide you can have for 50 bucks never been used. Never even taken out of the package. Got the rainfly also. I was gonna use it bear hunting but never did.

Jake
    Western WI

I got one from sportsman guide you can have for 50 bucks never been used. Never even taken out of the package. Got the rainfly also. I was gonna use it bear hunting but never did.

Thanks rubberduck, I’ll shoot you a PM!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Mine was a Sportz II truck tent if I remember correctly. I sold mine 2 years ago for about the same price you amwre just offered. Please be aware they are typically custom made per your specific truck. One size doesn’t usually fit all.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

This is why I love this website. Just recently bought my first truck and was going back and forth on whether to buy (an expensive) topper, get a truck tent like this, or just suffer sleeping in the back seat of my truck. Couldn’t decide for awhile but I’ve been sold on the tent I think!

I’ve dreamed of doing this sort of camping fishing walleyes up north and hunting big game out west! Cant wait.

Kyhl
    Savage

Mine was a Sportz II truck tent if I remember correctly. I sold mine 2 years ago for about the same price you amwre just offered. Please be aware they are typically custom made per your specific truck. One size doesn’t usually fit all.

I think I had a Sportz also. And it was fitted to the truck, mid 2000’s F150.
    Come to think of it, it might still be in the garage. Not sure if I threw it in with the truck when it was traded in three years ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.