Anyone try leeches or worms icefishing?

• usmarine0352

Now I know leeches and worms aren’t available in winter but what about lures like Berkley’s Gulp Alive Leech or Powebait Worm?

Leeches and worms are a stable of fisherman’s walleye bait in the summer and a leech could be something a walleye hasn’t seen in awhile and might separate you from the million other lures down the hole.

What do you think?

Attachments:
    1. Leech.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I’ve used the in summer and winter and never had good luck.

duh queen

I bought some years ago and have tried them on multiple occasions, almost always for crappie or perch. Never had a hit. I can see where they might work well for gills, but I don’t target gills.
    On the flipside, I use gulp minnows in Firetiger as my go to walleye presentation. I have been out-fished only once when using it, but have created dozens of converts.

duh queen

I bought some tears ago and have tried them on multiple occasions, almost always for crappie or perch. Never had a hit. I can see where they might work well for gills, but I don’t target gills.
    On the flipside, I use gulp minnows in Firetiger as my go to walleye presentation. I have been out-fished only once when using it, but have created dozens of converts.
    I should clarify: I tried the leeches through the ice, but use the gulp minnows during warm weather.

ironmike1

Has anyone tried real frozen leeches for perch or gills? I find them often in perch stomachs ice fishing. Might be soft but great action.

usmarine0352

Has anyone tried real frozen leeches for perch or gills? I find them often in <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch stomachs ice fishing. Might be soft but great action.

Didn’t even know they sold frozen leeches.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ironmike1 wrote:</div>
    Has anyone tried real frozen leeches for perch or gills? I find them often in <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch stomachs ice fishing. Might be soft but great action.

Didn’t even know they sold frozen leeches.

probably a DIY thing in summer.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

you want a ridiculously real leech presentation? try the ice leeches from a local in SE MN who makes them. it’s called a liquid leech made by liquid willow cat. put that on a slick jig and man does that look enticing under the water. only had one chance to use them on Mille lacs but the 5 inch perch could’t handle it! going to give them some serious soak time this spring on P4 and i don’t see why they don’t put fish in the boat.
    i only panfish in winter and the liquid larva is a hit with the crappies. not a big fan of plastics for panfish but the action and scent on these is making me a believer.

https://www.liquidwillowcat.com/

ironmike1

Yes it would be a DIY with leeches you had in the summer but didn’t use. I haven’t tried it yet but I plan to. The leeches from liquid willow cat look awesome! Just wondering if the scent of a real leech is what it would take?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Those leeches are definitely soaked in something. Whether fish eat them is still something I will have to explore more this year out of my boat.
    I did see one of the guys did very well on the H2H series using some kind of fake leech under a float last year. I plan on using them vertically and maybe pull them behind spinner rigs?

olas88

Only thing I use worms for in the winter is sturgeon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.