Anyone try Genie Jar yet?

• mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Has anyone tried this product yet? I really like the idea, I have been using my XL bait puck for minnows to travel light but I may try this out.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

How long are a scoop of minnows going to live in something that small?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Seems like a pretty simple thing. Funny how nobody thought of that before. A good test would be to set it outside tonight on Mille Lacs to see how that plastic holds up. jester

eyeguy507
    SE MN

good to see a young entrepreneur come up with a nice product. I too got sick of hauling around a bigger cooler for a scoop of minnows. I like the red Strikemaster bait cooler but not the $15 price tag so I got a small plastic thermos that works great for what I need and only $5 or less.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How long are a scoop of minnows going to live in something that small?

I’ve had fatheads stay alive in a plastic baggie without water for 6 hours. Keep them cold and they’ll last for days in that thing.

munchy
    NULL

I use a small insulated 1/2 gallon water jug (the kind with the flip up spout in the lid) to transport the bulk minnows, then while hole hopping I dump a handful into a small strikmaster bait puck with very little water. The minnows will stay alive plenty long that way and I don’t worry about anything breaking open.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Never heard of ice fishing for cats.. might have to try that out

Not sure where your from Dupac, but search the catfish forum for Horseshoe Lake. It’s near Richmond, MN.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Not sure where your from Dupac, but search the catfish forum for Horseshoe Lake. It’s near Richmond, MN.

Castle Rock lake in WI too waytogo

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Looks interesting, I could see myself trying one.

Bobby Kuennen

Keep the water cold and every once in a while dip it in your hole to switch the water. My only concern would be if i forget it in my tent and it freezes solid, would it fracture?

TripleA
    Blaine

Keep the water cold and every once in a while dip it in your hole to switch the water. My only concern would be if i forget it in my tent and it freezes solid, would it fracture?

It would freeze and expand just like your normal minnow bucket.

– Just ordered two of the 17oz size. Great idea.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My only concern would be if i forget it in my tent and it freezes solid, would it fracture?

The whole idea of it’s compact size is that you can keep it in your coat pocket where it isn’t going to freeze. You have to trust it isn’t going to leak while in your coat pocket. shock

Bobby Kuennen

No I understand that but during travel or staying overnight somewhere if I leave it in the tent I dont want it to freeze and crack.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Don’t leave in the tent….

Bobby Kuennen

Mudshark, you are a man of infinite wisdom.

If by chance, I forgot to take it out of the tent, the truck or any cold place, would it crack the plastic? That’s all I’m asking.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would guess since it is plastic if you freeze the water and then drop it there is a chance it would break.

SW Eyes

Do people use live minnows when hole hopping, to the point where you need to carry a scoop around with you?

I typically only use them in dead sticks or tip-ups. I’m always almost always stationary with those techniques.

If I’m out hopping around, I’m using minnow heads on jigs/spoons for walleye/pike or waxies/plastics for panfish.

What I do, either with a fresh scoop or even dead ones most throw out, is pinch the heads off and freeze them. I’ll throw a pile of them in a bait puck. I wondered if it would work, but it seems to just fine.

Good way to “recycle” minnows. There are times when I hear the bite is hot right now, or I want to go on a whim, and don’t have live ones around, I don’t have to mess with picking up live ones just to kill them. Don’t have to haul a bucket of water around.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I still dream of Genie…ok Jeannie, thanks for the memory anyway!

Attachments:
    1. Dream-Of-Jeannie_-Barbara-Eden-Has-Us-Still-Dreaming-Of-Jeannie-___.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I checked them out last night and debated ordering one or two. I did notice one thing on their website…maybe it’s me being cheap. I noticed that if you buy each spare part on their website, the complete jar is $5.24 cheaper than buying a whole unit…maybe i’m missing something, however.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I bought one at the Ice show in saint paul. I haven’t used it yet. I was hoping too for tip up walleye fishing with fatheads, or tip down fishing for crappies.

Like others said if I am hole hoping I am not using full minnows, but maybe that would change with the genie jar.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I bought one too at the ice show but have yet to try it out. Like Evan said i bought it for when setting up Tip Ups. I always seem to be waiting for the minnow bucket. I got the bigger one and i think it will be plenty big to put a couple of big minnows in.

David Blais

I ordered two. One for crappie minnows and one for fat heads. My thought was these may be awesome for summer fishing. Just toss them in the cooler. Especially with all the regulations on invasive species. Less water to change out when you leave the landing

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.