Anyone fishing crappies this weekend? What is the plan?

• tim hurley

Always start on a lake that is close in case something does not work-going Sat. will try shallow but they may still be in winter spots. Lake I think I’m going to has lots of bass and pike so I should see some action.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tim bass and pike season is closed you know.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ll get out Friday pm. Start near wintering holes and work towards shallow, mucky bays/backwaters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

North bays that receive more sunlight are usually a little warmer and often bring in more fish.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I will be looking for crappies on cribs along with the bass I will be targeting….. mrgreen

queenswake
    NULL

I’m going to try a couple shore spots that, from past experience, you have hit on just the right day. I’m thinking that it’s still probably a bit early for them to be on shore, but won’t hurt to try and will scratch the itch. I’m not dealing with the boat just yet.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think the crappies are shallow already. Caught some shore fishing last week in reeds in a couple feet of water. Last time on ice the crappies were in 9-11′.

I’ll be hitting Friday in the north metro…plan to hit the north side and start in about 10′ on the weedlines and work shallower. As the day wears on my guess is they are up very shallow.

BrianF

Fished west metro yesterday eve in the wind and cold on a solo trip. Main lake water temp 37. Back bays water temp 43. Water was unusually murky. Didn’t matter. The crapps were thick as thieves around the spawn grounds, seeking warmer water. Caught 77 of them as shallow as 3’ on the wind blown shorelines. Released all. No giants, but some nice ones in the bunch.

Attachments:
    1. 7E811AFF-5FCF-4EF5-84CF-363975C11314-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thats how we spend Easter. Catching crappies

onestout
    Hudson, WI

What are the early techniques to cath crappies? Is it to early for spinners? Are you jigging for them with small ice fishing jigs yet? I would like to try a little shore fishing with kids since it sounds like they may be moving in. Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just pitch jigs., also like to pull jigs straight over the school and if they are suspended I do figure 8s over them with the boat.
    Small raps work well and always a slip Bob and minnow.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I usually start with a small slip bobber and minnow but once I know they are there, I switch over to a gulp minnow instead. Constantly having panfish steal my live bait and re-baiting gets pretty old. Gulp minnows are durable and work just as good once you get them dialed in.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the input/advice, hopefully we can catch a few.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I always start with a small plastics or hair jig. If they are lethargic, I suspend the jig under a float and pop it.

If they are still lethargic I add a minnow. I find that once you add a minnow you start getting smaller fish so try to stick with the artificials. Start aggressive, slow down, downsize, add meat in that order if needed.

Also, I just bought a 7′ UL for pitching plastics…..holy cow is it sweet. No more short rods for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I always start with a small plastics or hair jig. If they are lethargic, I suspend the jig under a float and pop it.

If they are still lethargic I add a minnow. I find that once you add a minnow you start getting smaller fish so try to stick with the artificials. Start aggressive, slow down, downsize, add meat in that order if needed.

Also, I just bought a 7′ UL for pitching plastics…..holy cow is it sweet. No more short rods for me.

Same thing I do. And I fish a hellbent 7 ft ul and I love it. I absolutely love long ultra light rods.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

No live bait for this guy. Jig/ plastic is all that is needed.
    This weekend is looking beautiful. Should be prime crappie time throughout central and southern mn. I expect the lakes to be very busy all weekend.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ll have to look and see if they make a 7′ UL Barbie rod.

tim hurley

Lots of great ideas, nice thick 13 Brian. Will not be fishing for bass or pike but if I throw minnows around a weedline I know what will happen. Some will be in spring mode some in winter, both can happen at the same lake. I do best swimming a jig but I’m lazy so I might just be watching a bobber a lot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lots of great ideas, nice thick 13 Brian. Will not be fishing for bass or <em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike but if I throw minnows around a weedline I know what will happen. Some will be in spring mode some in winter, both can happen at the same lake. I do best swimming a jig but I’m lazy so I might just be watching a bobber a lot.

Let me know if you need me to come reel them in for you again. toast just teasing

WSAF
    Western WI

Tempted to get some minnows and check out Minnetonka shore spots- Wayzata bay marina near the beach, Spring Bay?(by Lord Fletcher’s),Maxwell Bay launch area, etc.

Jack
    Stillwater, MN

This is from last Monday, metro lake. Been getting a few 14s and 15s from shore along with this 16 incher (new pb).

Attachments:
    1. F7970037-6882-4922-A6C4-4671AA9344D7.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whoa, nice slab! Looks like a night time bite. That is what I’m after. Not interested in the 12 inchers anymore.

tim hurley

Dang Jack-congrats on the PB.
    Reel them in and fillet them Bear, how do you cook them? Like a potato & salad too.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Packed kids fishing stuff and headed out after school….and the lake is still iced over….WTF. might have to travel around a bit to find a lake that is open, friend up here said there are a few lakes he can still ice fish on.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I tried to get out today….wind was no good. I tried a few spots but the shallow shorelines were all torn up from the wind. Motored over some deeper water but didn’t really mark anything.

Looks like this weekend it’ll turn around. Need some sun and light wind and they’ll be back up shallow again.

tim hurley

I surprised by the ice,onestout- ‘Tonka has been out for a while now when that is out, everything metroish is out and you are not too far from us.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Im going to be out over the next couple days in the kayak – Winona and north on the backwaters as I find spots. Off white Hobie peddle yak… can’t wait to wet a line starting tomorrow am. Mostly w gulp, but may try the slow rolling of a little rippin rap, even under a bobber as mentioned.

dirtywater

I surprised by the ice,onestout- ‘Tonka has been out for a while now when that is out, everything metroish is out and you are not too far from us.

What’s Tonka like in terms of traffic on a weekend this time of year? Never been out there this early. Tough for me to enjoy that lake much in the summer with the jetski/wakeboard crowd. Want to get out for some crappies on Saturday.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What’s Tonka like in terms of traffic on a weekend this time of year? Never been out there this early. Tough for me to enjoy that lake much in the summer with the jetski/wakeboard crowd. Want to get out for some crappies on Saturday.

Almost always will be dependent on the weather. Sunny, warm days will have A LOT more boat traffic than cloudy/rainy days. I fish crappies out there in the spring every year and if its a nice day out on the weekend you can bet I won’t be out there past 10 or 11am.

dirtywater

Thanks for the tip. Thankfully Saturday looks nice and grey, but any break in the rain might have people out after this wet week.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.