Anyone familiar with copyright stuff and decals

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Figure before I contact Lund I’d ask around here if anyone knows. Planning phase 2 of my boat restoration which is the exterior. Plan is to vinyl wrap the outside and I would like to slap some decals back on after (planning to do this all DIY). Great lakes skipper has the exact prosport decal that is ony boat now, but I cannot find a Lund decal (and mite as well put 1600 back on there too) that is the same champagne color (top rail is champagne and plan on leaving that alone). Now I assume I cannot just go to a printing place that can make vinyl decals and they can make the Lund decal can they? Sound a lot like copyright issues bit I have about that much knowledge when it comes to that stuff. Guessing would have to pay some kind of royalty if they even allow it and likely put it at more expense than I care too but maybe I am wrong.

For reference this decal is the one I found that is the exact decal originally put ony boat.

Attachments:
    1. 6c318119087a61cd6e32b0000edd0085.jpg

Matthew Sandys

Not sure about it but I would not worry if you are trying not trying to make money off them (selling logo). For personal use don’t think they would care, is more advertising for them. But I have not ideas of the law.

Red Eye

You might be able to get new logos right from lund. Give them a call

Mike

As long as you’re not selling them there should be no issue.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve never used them but have heard good things about Lettertech in Minneapolis. I’d give them a call–doesn’t hurt to ask.
    I agree if they’re for personal use, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The issue is having a print shop duplicate and produce copyrighted material. If you did it yourself for personal use , the chance of anything coming out of it is about zero. But a reputable shop will not duplicate any copyrighted material.

This falls into similar situations I have with the house plans I designed. I know contractors and vendors copy my plans for internal use and I have no issue with it. But if they copy and share/distribute, or use for any other purposes than building MY project, I sued for a use fee

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Years and years ago when I wrapped my Tuffy I wanted a Huge DareDevil incorporated into the wrap. He took a close-up digital photo of a DareDevil & their logo and used that. It turned out great. I wish I still had some pictures of that.

I would do it. Lund won’t say anything.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

He took a close-up digital photo of a DareDevil & their logo and used that

That is copyright infringement. “He” put his company and himself at risk

blackbay
    mn

I’ve had a number of stickers made like these. There will be no issues with having the stickers made. Lettertech was mentioned, look at their website, they sell stickers and wraps with manufactures logos already.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    He took a close-up digital photo of a DareDevil & their logo and used that

That is copyright infringement. “He” put his company and himself at risk

Legally you may be correct. However since he wasn’t attempting to steal or defraud from anybody I doubt there ever would be a issue. At the very worse they could have asked me to remove it. At that point I would have put a big Band Aid over their logo.

In the OP’s case whats the harm? Restoring a boat to original condition doesn’t do any harm to Lund and they have zero to gain. Like I said, legally it might be a no no but I don’t see a problem if he can find somebody to produce it.

milemark_714

I wouldn’t worry about it.Surprised Lund hasn’t gone after Pantene for using”Pro-V”?But either use probably isn’t copyrighted.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.