Anyone built a classic A Frame cabin?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been trying to get a direction figured out for a cabin on my hunting property for about 2 years now with no success. The “get everything I want” option is just too costly because it requires too much labor that I can’t provide myself. I’m really scratching for ideas that can get me a 2 bedroom + sleeping loft cabin that I can build myself (excepting foundation).

So Mrs Grouse was watching those DIY TV shows (always dangerous, I know) and she points to the screen and says “Build us one of those! What fun! It’s funky retro-modern, I could have a great time doing the interior of THAT one.”

Well, what Mrs. Grouse was pointing to was a funk-o-delicious, back to 1972, A Frame cabin. She’s too young to remember when they were first in style…

I had never even considered one. These things were all the rage back in, well, back in the day. The appeal was supposed to be fast and cheap construction because the roof eliminates the need for walls. What I’ve heard is that construction is also easier because you can pre-fab the “A” trusses on the ground and then set each one in place and without having to get up high, a major advantage over more conventional 2 story construction methods where you have to be way up in the air to set the trusses on top of the top story. It would seem to me modern metal roofing instead of traditional 3 tab shingles would also simplify and speed up the construction.

The last person I know who actually built one (circa 1976) has died and I was too young then to recall if the alleged simplicity of construction was real or just a pipe dream.

Anyone actually built an A-frame cabin? Pros/cons? Would you do it again?

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My home in Mound is a true A frame with no insulation on the roof! You can have it if you want

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The look is unique and I’m old enough to have seen many of them. I haven’t been in very many but have always thought there had to be a lot of wasted space on the interior. I somehow don’t see Mrs. Grouse or yourself crawling around the “edges” where you can’t stand up and do anything. My opinion is scrap the idea and go in a more traditional cabin or maybe even a 1/2 house 1/2 pole barn type.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Another thought.

Get Mrs. Grouse off the DIY network. Otherwise you will be stacking, welding, cutting metal storage containers into a house. grin

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My home in Mound is a true A frame with no insulation on the roof! You can have it if you want

Thanks, but that sounds a little chilly.

The look is unique and I’m old enough to have seen many of them. I haven’t been in very many but have always thought there had to be a lot of wasted space on the interior. I somehow don’t see Mrs. Grouse or yourself crawling around the “edges” where you can’t stand up and do anything. My opinion is scrap the idea and go in a more traditional cabin or maybe even a 1/2 house 1/2 pole barn type.

Most A frames do a knee wall from the base to minimize this “edge space” that is unusable, but I’d be tempted to do the modified A frame probably with a 4-5 foot knee wall so there is a verticle wall before the angle starts.

I have been advised by several people and 2 builders that a true “pole” building is a bad idea as far as finished space. Here in the tundra, everyone says the same thing, sooner or later the frost will jack one of the poles and you’ll have cracked walls and busted windows no matter what.

So that leaves us with just building a stick frame steel-clad building, which is where I stared.

And yes, DIY channels are the Devil’s Playthings. But this idea may have some traction. Plus, if it’s a decorating canvas for Mrs. Grouse, that helps grease the skids when the project comes before the Financial Oversite Committee for budgetary approval…

Grouse

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

In a similar situation myself. Cost is the main concern. Trying to decide between a simple cabin on stilts (so you can access plumbing underneath ect) or a slab with in-floor heat. I am leaning towards the slab with in-floor heat, but we can’t afford to put a septic and well in right away.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In a similar situation myself. Cost is the main concern. Trying to decide between a simple cabin on stilts (so you can access plumbing underneath ect) or a slab with in-floor heat. I am leaning towards the slab with in-floor heat, but we can’t afford to put a septic and well in right away.

I’m going to put down a slab as I don’t want to be battling foundation settling issues for the rest of my life as well as having constant issues with critters setting up housekeeping under the cabin. Also, having air under the cabin makes for cold floors and I really want to be set up for 3 season use so I can eventually keep the water/septic in use until after deer season.

For sewer and water, just put the drain pipe and water lines in the slab and cap them off until you’re ready. That’s what I’m going to do. I’m going with a very simple setup, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen sink, so plumbing is going to be kept to a minimum.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I love small A-frames. The only down side I recall is heating. To make it comfortable on level one the upper sleeping levels are usually a bit warm.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would scrap the a-frame idea. Too much wasted space and a pain to build. Get someone to set your trusses if you need to and go with a stick frame home. I am sure Eelpout will have some good ideas for you.

munchy
    NULL

I have been advised by several people and 2 builders that a true “pole” building is a bad idea as far as finished space. Here in the tundra, everyone says the same thing, sooner or later the frost will jack one of the poles and you’ll have cracked walls and busted windows no matter what.

If you dig deep and flare the hole so the bottom is larger in diameter than the top that pole will never move. Unfortunately most builders just go to minimum depth and keep the sides straight which gives those record winters and frosts something to grab onto.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think you should build a more traditional structure, put it in Iceland on a good Salmon river, and invite me fishing on frequent occasions.

SR

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I don’t see the English stone fence.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Built plenty. Would never own one

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Try screw piles building will never move

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Consider 5lb french stones instead of 5lb english stones. French stones are lighter.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

So much wasted space. Customers long term normally learn to dislike them. Very harsh wind resistance. Round the clock fans or air handling to stabilize temps. Cost factor isn’t great. More energy efficient if built with all engineered products.

Sorry, just so tight on time tonight.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I remember when the “A” Frame in the late ’60s’ and early “70’s”. My wife and I dreamed about owning one on a lake in the north woods. There are a few left in the area where I live. They have morphed today into a structure with two additions, one on each side with conventional vertical side walls.

When I went to have my retirement home built we settled on a “Frost Protected Shallow Foundation” (slab) home. Heat in the floor …..

I owned the property and found a great local builder, cost was reasonable, quality was good. He will build most anywhere in North MN and will build from very small to very large. PM me if you want a name.

This is what our dream turned out as ….

Attachments:
    1. snow_shot-002.jpg

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Any thought on having a vo-tech build whatever you choose and have it moved to your property? Had a buddy do this with his house. Free labor. He just supplied the materials as they needed them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate the replies, everyone. Been doing my own research on A-frames as well.

The reason for this direction is to get the size of cabin I need, it’s going to have to be self-built. I got multiple estimates, but with the limited number of contractors in the area and the cost of labor, it’s not happening. To make it work, I’m going to have to go with a simple plan and a DIY approach and cut out the $30k+ labor costs.

I think I found a simple-to-build 30×30 that might give me what I need. Mrs. Grouse won’t like it as a “design canvas” as much, but this is a hunting cabin so we can only go so far with high end interior design…

Any thought on having a vo-tech build whatever you choose and have it moved to your property? Had a buddy do this with his house. Free labor. He just supplied the materials as they needed them.

Interesting idea, but my farm is accessed via a 1/2 mile private road through the woods, then when you get there the cabin will sit in a clearing that I’ve cut. There just isn’t the room or road quality for a house moving projct. Apreciate the idea though, would be worth looking into if not for site access.

I still thing A-frames look cool…

Grouse

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was in your position and was exactly contemplating what you are thinking… I ended up with a 26×28 on a slab. 2×6 walls, 2 stories. 9′ height on lower level. Then a 6 1/2′ wall on second level, middle wall splitting the 2nd level at 11 1/2′ high, with 2×8 as the rafters. We have 3 bed rooms upstairs, a master at 13×11, one at 13×10, one at 13×9 a bathroom at 10×7 and a small living/kitchen area that is 18×13. The bottom is wide open, 26 x 28, other than a supporting post in the center… I have (2) 10×8 garage doors installed now, but future plans are to finish the bottom into a nice sized bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/living area. Upstairs living area would be the future bar area toast and extra bedrooms for guests. I built this myself with a lot of help. waytogo Here is a picture of the upstairs living area.

Attachments:
    1. modified-cabin.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

that looks really nice big_g. nice work

huskerdu

I have been in a few of the old A frames, no room due to the roof angle, 2nd level is really bad.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pretty much what Tuma and Randy said.
    LOL – My wife wanted an A-Frame. Big waste of space. I laugh when I drive by one and say Honey look there’s your favorite type of home, then she punches me.
    Square/rectangle structure with engineered trusses is most cost effective.
    Foundation is where you need to be careful. Are you going to completely shut er down in the winter? If so, you could do floating foundation or up on stilts or crawl space. If you put it on frost footings with a slab, then you you should keep it heated to prevent heaving.

As I tell all clients when building a home – take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle, left column is needs, rights side is wants. That’s your starting point to design your place. Pay special attention to the kitchen, baths and stairways.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

FG the style in your picture is very common here in Wisconsin by Castle Rock flowage. They call them “Chalet style”. Most were built in the 70s or 80s I think. Don’t think these are 30×30 though. I’m headed up there fishing this weekend and will try to get a pic or 2.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.