Anybody ever use a pontoon boat for duck hunting?

• lundojam

I’ve got a 20′ Ercoa with no furniture. Seems like it would be easy to stick a blind on there and be pretty comfortable. Not a hunter myself, but I’m wondering if it would be a good selling point. Maybe I’m nuts.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

The only issue is you cant hunt out of a boat/pontoon unless partial inside vegetation except for some portions of the Mississippi, and a few large lakes like mille lacs. I have considered but in the land where nothing is allowed I passed on the opportunity to get a smaller pontoon to make into a floating island like I saw in an old issue of waterfowler magazine. It had a small dead tree and was grassed out to look like a hummock with a dead tree.

Mwal

404 ERROR
    MN

An old friend of mine has a small bowfishing pontoon he has used for waterfowl. The problem lies in the height of available vegetation. Unless the vegetation you are hiding in is 8+’ tall, you stick out like a sore thumb. I have hunted out of it once, the available space is nice. Biggest hiccup is since the blind needs to be low to stay under vegetation, you are pretty much army crawling around…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.