Any one else like portable camping.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

you’ve got a great setup Bearcat. I’ve been thinking about getting into ice camping and I think its time

where is the diesel heater in your first pics of your setup? I tried finding it but didn’t see it anywhere. Those diesel heaters are very intriguing

It’s out side, leads are ran in through the bottom to the deep cycle battery inside. The heat tube is coming in under my camp stove on the small table. Perfectly blocked. I don’t think I took any pics of it outside.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Seriously though, when my kids were smaller, those things were a life saver, not just for camping. Hotel rooms, visits to the grandparents, a nasty bout of norovirus (you don’t wanna know), they more than paid for themselves over the years. That reminds me, they’re just taking up space in my garage, I should do something about that…
    [/quote]

Those do look awesome and I am going to look in to one. My daughter could tag along and sleep up there or like I said it would make for good dry storage area

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I saw Chuckie was doing the same this weekend BC, and he rolls a woodstove in there. That would definitely have it’s pro’s and cons!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Here’s the heat tube coming in on the left before we pushed it under the table. Used the heat hogg to get it warm initially and the diesel to hold temp when we got rid of the propane.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240130_110641_Photos.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I saw Chuckie was doing the same this weekend BC, and he rolls a woodstove in there. That would definitely have it’s pro’s and cons!

Yeah he was out on the big pond. Him and the lady. The wood stove is nice if I’m going for a week or 2. But that’s not the case for me very often. Honestly the heat hog would be more then enough as well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Bearcat I have the disc-o-bed XL cots. I roll around a lot when sleeping and sleep on my stomach so the extra width is great. They are expensive and heavy but have been a great investment. Big time space saver not only for ice camping, where space is at a premium, but we also use them for the kids when they have sleepovers and at the cabin if we have guests. They are built like a brick poop house and will likely be passed down to my grandkids. My brother bought a set too and we have contemplated doing a 3 Bunk setup but haven’t yet. They are rated for 300 lbs I believe

KPE
    River Falls, WI

This is the way Bearcat! I’ll be upgrading to a larger hub shelter one day to sleep my whole family but I go solo in my eskimo quickfish 3i for ice fishing and every year for deer hunting. Good stuff!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Nope. No way I’m 66 maybe 30 years ago waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah this^^^^^^^^^
    [/quote]

Oh come on epg, the Belle would love this. It’s like a 5 star hotel, I had breakfast in bed, walleyes coming through the floor. And wet socks at least 4 different times.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat I have the disc-o-bed XL cots. I roll around a lot when sleeping and sleep on my stomach so the extra width is great. They are expensive and heavy but have been a great investment. Big time space saver not only for ice camping, where space is at a premium, but we also use them for the kids when they have sleepovers and at the cabin if we have guests. They are built like a brick poop house and will likely be passed down to my grandkids. My brother bought a set too and we have contemplated doing a 3 Bunk setup but haven’t yet. They are rated for 300 lbs I believe

I will be looking in to them. I for some reason never seen them before

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yeah this^^^^^^^^^

Oh come on epg, the Belle would love this. It’s like a 5 star hotel, I had breakfast in bed, walleyes coming through the floor. And wet socks at least 4 different times.
    [/quote]

You had me at the wet socks rotflol

B-man

If you’re not running your diesel heater in a loop you’re wasting a ton of heat and fuel.

The “suction” side of the heater should be pulling pre-heated air from inside the shack, not sub-freezing air from outside. (Two tubes going into the shack, one pulling, one pushing)

The combustion air and exhaust should be both taken/given externally.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.