Any one else like portable camping.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The kid, buddy and I went west and are sleeping in the Otter monster lodge. This thing is sweet. Cooking steaks, making eggs and catching fish in bed. Any one else setting up portable camps.
    We have a 16 mil tarp down, then foam puzzle pieces and the new diesel heater.

Attachments:
    1. 20240126_200719-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20240126_191541-1-scaled.jpg

3. 20240126_200719-scaled.jpg

4. 20240126_191541-scaled.jpg

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Never done it but that sure looks like the way to go. I had a smaller Ice Castle but got rid of it. Too cramped

This seems to be the ticket going forward

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I had full intention of doing this this year on red early ice but mother nature put the kaibosh on that. Next winter I fully intend to do so.

Stanley

My son and some of his friends went the weekend it was -30 and had fun. They were supposed to do it again this weekend but a couple backed out last minute so they are fishing just not staying the night. Him and his girlfriend had 2 heaters going to stay warm that night.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My son and some of his friends went the weekend it was -30 and had fun. They were supposed to do it again this weekend but a couple backed out last minute so they are fishing just not staying the night. Him and his girlfriend had 2 heaters going to stay warm that night.

We have camped in some -27 real temps with nasty winds on lake of the woods a couple years back. It was brutal. But we stayed comfortable. Just had a very frosty shelter. This weekend is beautiful and we have been running and jigging out side all day

AK Guy

I’ve been intrigued with camping in a hub house for several years. I finally did it this week on Red Lake. I had a great time and caught a bunch of fish. The one thing I wasn’t prepared for was how long it takes to get set up. I have a wheelhouse, a flip over sled, and it doesn’t take long to get the lines down. Setting up the hub house to camp took awhile. I’m sure it will be quicker next time I do it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been intrigued with camping in a hub house for several years. I finally did it this week on Red Lake. I had a great time and caught a bunch of fish. The one thing I wasn’t prepared for was how long it takes to get set up. I have a wheelhouse, a flip over sled, and it doesn’t take long to get the lines down. Setting up the hub house to camp took awhile. I’m sure it will be quicker next time I do it.

It is definitely a task to set up, but after a few times you get good at it. This took 45 minutes to get set up with this big if a floor and trying to figure out lay out. But it’s totally worth it

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Beautiful night tonight. Big Ole bright moon. And the kids having fun

Attachments:
    1. 20240127_201616-scaled.jpg

2. Resized_20240127_195930_1706407187658.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

The smile says it all.

How does the diesel heater vent? I’m sitting here thinking of how diesel exhaust smells at an intersection and trying to figure out how you can stand the smell in a shelter. Or does it deliver heat like a camper furnace?

Anyway, it looks like a great evening was had and some fish were caught.

Ripjiggen

Were you able to drive out? That’s a lot of stuff. Looks like a blast. Stayed in a wheel house on Mille lacs with my 7 year old and then took him out in the hub and asked if he wanted to sleep in it over night. He said heck yeah. Think I would have the big one though if I had to walk out all the things he would want to be comfy.
    That monster lodge looks huge. See they are on sale at Scheels for 649$ how is that beast to set up?

Jimmy Jones

That monster lodge looks huge. See they are on sale at Scheels for 649$ how is that beast to set up?

It looks expanse but comfortable. I don’t ice fish anymore but that lodge looks, based on these pictures, like its made for serious overnight angling.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Beautiful night tonight. Big Ole bright moon. And the kids having fun

Moom my azz, Looks like Matt @Eelpoutguy has his light on out at the same lake!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The smile says it all.

How does the diesel heater vent? I’m sitting here thinking of how diesel exhaust smells at an intersection and trying to figure out how you can stand the smell in a shelter. Or does it deliver heat like a camper furnace?

Anyway, it looks like a great evening was had and some fish were caught.

The heater sits out side and has an actual exhaust tubing that we put down wind. We added 10 ft of heat shield hose so the forced air comes right in one of my windows. It’s actually a pretty slick set up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Were you able to drive out? That’s a lot of stuff. Looks like a blast. Stayed in a wheel house on Mille lacs with my 7 year old and then took him out in the hub and asked if he wanted to sleep in it over night. He said heck yeah. Think I would have the big one though if I had to walk out all the things he would want to be comfy.

We pulled a small trailer behind my wheeler out here. But there is trucks and wheel houses out. I just didn’t want to drive my big truck with a trailer out here.
    The lodge takes only a few minutes to set up and take down. I forgot my drill for anchors so that sucked and took a while putting them in by hand.

Attachments:
    1. 20240128_103036-scaled.jpg

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The kid, buddy and I went west and are sleeping in the Otter monster lodge. This thing is sweet. Cooking steaks, making eggs and catching fish in bed. Any one else setting up portable camps.
    We have a 16 mil tarp down, then foam puzzle pieces and the new diesel heater.

The young version of me, yes. I enjoyed those days and things. The 48 year old version of me, doesn’t camp. Glamp, yes. Camp, no.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Lots of videos out there on how to do this.

Aboxy17

I’ve done a fair amount of camping in my otter but haven’t made it out yet this year. I like having a good layer of snow rather than glare ice so it doesn’t get super wet inside. The system I found best for me was packing the snow down real good, putting down a tarp and mats on top of that. Also using a lipped rubber floor mat for boots. With this setup, we were able to walk around inside with socks on because of how dry it was. Crazy how much more heat you hold in with the floor.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1965-1.jpg

2. IMG_1962.jpg

3. IMG_2015.jpg

4. IMG_2004.jpg

5. IMG_1968.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Homeward bound. But we got our bucket of eyes and perch.

Attachments:
    1. 20240128_111319-scaled.jpg

tswoboda

Ice camping ultralight and super ultralight editions

Attachments:
    1. 20210310_195726-scaled.jpg

2. 20220305_155215-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I assume that’s some boundary waters action there ?. I could get down with that.

picklerick
    Central WI

Looks like the only thing Bearcat89 is missing is a YouTube channel. I’d watch.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Love ice camping. Haven’t had a chance to go yet this year unfortunately. Bunk cots are sweet. Ice invested a lot into equipment in the last few years

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Love ice camping. Haven’t had a chance to go yet this year unfortunately. Bunk cots are sweet. Ice invested a lot into equipment in the last few years

What kind of bunk cot ?

zooks

What kind of bunk cot ?

We have the kids version of THESE and they’ve worked great for my family, either on their own or stacked. The XL adult versions look nice, too. Definitely not packing light though, even the kids version weighs a ton.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Those things are sweet. Not sure I like the idea of sleeping under my 200 pound son or his ass moving all night. But I see it goes to a couch as well and or the bunk would be sweet storage

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not sure I like the idea of sleeping under my 200 pound son or his ass moving all night.

LOL rotflol

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have those ones also, the “couch” is very uncomfortable. The bunks work very well and are comfortable to sleep on. They are very well built, I have the kids ones also, the adult ones are at least 10 years old and still look and work great.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Looks like fun. Would be something I would be willing to do. The rest of my family would not.

Gitchi Gummi

you’ve got a great setup Bearcat. I’ve been thinking about getting into ice camping and I think its time

where is the diesel heater in your first pics of your setup? I tried finding it but didn’t see it anywhere. Those diesel heaters are very intriguing

Wildlifeguy

Those things are sweet. Not sure I like the idea of sleeping under my 200 pound son or his ass moving all night. But I see it goes to a couch as well and or the bunk would be sweet storage

I think the weight limit is a bit less than that grin

Seriously though, when my kids were smaller, those things were a life saver, not just for camping. Hotel rooms, visits to the grandparents, a nasty bout of norovirus (you don’t wanna know), they more than paid for themselves over the years. That reminds me, they’re just taking up space in my garage, I should do something about that…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.