Any metro fishing advice for tonight?

• usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Even with the predicted wind I am going out tonight after work, hoping you can point me in a somewhat productive direction. Some Military friends are coming in from Colorado to assist in a large exercise. They would like to get out and do some fishing before all the festivities kick in this week. With the wind I was thinking Pool 2 would be a better option. Problem is I have not been on pool 2 this year.
    Would you suggest we put in near Snelling? 494? Jig and plastic or Jig and live bait? If live bait minnow or crawler? What bait shop is near St Paul? Troll (upstream or down?). Sorry about the questions, as slow as its been reported about pool 2 it may just end up being me trying to fight the wind while we get to enjoy the scenery and weather…..

PM if you would like.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

The fish are there in P2. You just have to go get them. I have been trolling as of late doing well for a few hours in the morning. One day it’s an up stream bite the next day they want down stream. If you are not getting bit,change cranks until you find the right one. Sunday they wanted the crank moving fast, 3+ mph.

Not a very good plastic bite yet, but I’ve heard crawlers on a jig is working.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thanks Francis, if i remember right you were going up stream at 3+ ?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If they are just looking to catch fish the croix around Osceola is good right now. Cant beat the scenery to. Franconia landing should be pretty quiet during the week and is right below the lower cliffs. Ive just been fishing crawlers on slip rigs on the bottom. Just find a current seam or just about any place else that looks fishy and drop anchor. Pulling up on a nice snad bar and fishing off lawn chairs has been working well to. Its shallow water up there so better suited for smaller boats.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thanks Mike, the croix is a good suggestion as well and I may have to check that out. Not sure if my Tyee fits the bill as a smaller (shallow water) boat.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Thanks Francis, if i remember right you were going up stream at 3+ ?

Last trip was up stream. The trip before was down stream. You’ll have to see what the fish want.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks Mike, the croix is a good suggestion as well and I may have to check that out. Not sure if my Tyee fits the bill as a smaller (shallow water) boat.

You could get that boat from franconia to the cliffs but not much farther. Even at Franconia its not uncommon to have all 4 wheels of the vehicle in the water to get a boat launched.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Let us know how you do.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Don’t know why I torture myself trying to find fish that aren’t there. Hit the SAF pool with my fishergal for a couple hours.

We had fun anyways catching some smallies, she brought in a nice sheepie too.

Thought I’d add to the river report but not really doah

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20150819_183658325_HDR.jpg

2. IMG_20150819_195911553_HDR.jpg

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Well, their plane was late…. go figure. And they did not buy their licenses on line so we had to take care of that. After all said and done we were on the water (St.Croix by Hudson) at 630 PM. Launched and started out, was not going overly fast but must have had a loose wire, my locator blanked out on me. Slowed down to idle speed and turned it back on. While it was booting up again i made the comment that I hate driving blind on unfamiliar water and sure enough the back of the boat lifted, crunching grinding sound and I found some rocks. Toke some chunks out of the skeg and gouged up and bent the stainless prop pretty good but still operational so it could have been worse.

Good news, we started to fish and had two fish in the boat within 5 min. Large sheepshead and very respectable Blue Gill. Many bites after that but not able to put anything else in the boat. Turned out to be a beautiful night so we still had a good time.

Thanks for all your input!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.