Anti Reverse Feature – Shimano Spinning Reels

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I see Shimano has removed the anti-reverse feature on most of their spinning reels….claim reels are more watertight. Looking at a new Sedona or Sahara, but might have to open my aperture a bit.

Are other brands eliminating anti-reverse as well?

Pete

404 ERROR
    MN

I might have to look into them again…I have 4 Sedona reels on the shelf that are essentially junk due to the clutch slipping at the least opportune time. Sounds like maybe they couldn’t figure it out, so they eliminated it…

tucrs
    NW Metro

Merican eagle- Sometimes that is due to oil and water getting into the clutch bearing. Unfortunately sometimes this does ruin the bearings.

I am not a fan of having anti-reverse removed. I use when store reels to release the tension off the line.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That seems like an awfully aggressive change. Weird.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I personally never used it so it hasn’t bothered me to see it go.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

To be clear, they removed the anti-reverse switch correct?

Removing anti-reverse completely sounds silly.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Maybe even more clear. They removed the ability to back reel? coffee

-J.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

To be clear, they removed the anti-reverse switch correct?

Removing anti-reverse completely sounds silly.

Exactly!

I bought a pair last spring and noticed it after rigging the reels on a rod.

Kong

They removed back reel 4 or 5 years ago now originally with the Stratic’s. Their top end reels Like the original Stratic, and Stratic Ci4 did not have them. saved some weight and balanced the reel.

I used to be a big fan of the ability to back reel. When I asked a rep about it’s removal, he said that the drags have gotten so good, back reel is more of a detriment.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

They removed back reel 4 or 5 years ago now originally with the Stratic’s. Their top end reels Like the original Stratic, and Stratic Ci4 did not have them. saved some weight and balanced the reel.

I used to be a big fan of the ability to back reel. When I asked a rep about it’s removal, he said that the drags have gotten so good, back reel is more of a detriment.

I have 2 old stradic reels and they both have anti reverse

mrpike1973

how would you even keep your lure from falling off when done? makes no sense?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol, well he said they removed the anti reverse feature. Way different than removing the ability to switch to back reeling.

I think I’d only want back reeling on an ultralight. That’s the only time I have used it. Let the damn drag do it’s work.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Maybe I should of said the switch to be able to back reel

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Let the damn drag do it’s work.

The stradic has probably the best drag of all spinning reels. Not sure why you would want to use the back reel feature. Good riddance if you ask me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

BG has the best drag. coffee

Loomis13
    NULL

Pflueger has eliminated the anit-reverse switch on some of their reels, although Im not sure if all of the models have lost it.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I like the back reel feature to set the depth on my 3 ways and Lindy rigs when anchored.
    Without backreeling to control the drop, the leader tends to spin around the main line a lot more.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BG has the best drag. coffee

Attachments:
    1. DAD90C2C-A393-40E7-B442-FC328F3E0EAC.jpeg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice picture Did you win Matt?

moon

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.