Antenna length for vhf radio

• Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

For the guys using vhf radio’s what length antenna are you running? I’m going to Voyageurs National park and I decided to get a radio. My boat is an Alumacraft 175 full windshield.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I use a 6 foot on my 1675 impact full windshield and the canvas up at voyageurs on Kab without problems
    but I am only looking for weather when I am up there.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

VHF is line of site reception so taller is better. I use an 8′.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Don’t forget that your antenna is only as good as the connection between the radio and antenna. Make sure to solder.

FDR

Denny O
    Central IOWA

8 ft here as well and a big 10-4 on soldering the connection.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have an 8′ Shakespeare on one boat and a 4′ on the other.
    When they are side by side on land and the lock 2 air miles away talks using there hand held, I can’t hear them at all on the 4′.
    The 8′ breaks the squelch but I can’t hear them either.

If you want the best, go with an 8′. Caution: Bridges and trees eat 8′ antennas all the time.

Have fun up there!

PS I have a ram mount for and antenna for sale cheap. It’s a great little device if it would hold my 4′ antenna without laying down in the wind. I’ve switched to the ratchet mount.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If your radio doesn’t seem to work right after install, 99.9 times out of 100 it’s your connector.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have an 8′ Shakespeare on one boat and a 4′ on the other.
    When they are side by side on land and the lock 2 air miles away talks using there hand held, I can’t hear them at all on the 4′.
    The 8′ breaks the squelch but I can’t hear them either.

If you want the best, go with an 8′. Caution: Bridges and trees eat 8′ antennas all the time.

Have fun up there!

PS I have a ram mount for and antenna for sale cheap. It’s a great little device if it would hold my 4′ antenna without laying down in the wind. I’ve switched to the ratchet mount.

My ram mount held up the old 4 foot antenna but certainly cannot handle 8 footer.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve got the Shakespeare 4187 SS Ratchet Mount as well.
    hah Roofed docks like the antenna as well,,,,,NOT! bawling

JMP1890

Antenna range is 1.23 * square root of the antenna height. You add the height of your antenna to the height of the receiving antenna to get the total distance. I spend a lot of time on Rainy Lake fishing on my own. I have an 8′ Shakespeare 8900 on my boat and the same antenna on the cabin. The cabin antenna is about 24 feet above the water. The farthest I have been able to communicate with the boss (wife) is 8 miles. The calculated range is almost 9.5 miles, so not bad as there are many islands in the area that we area. The antenna’s will be in there third year of use.

Prior to installing the 8900’s I had the cheapest 8′ Shakespeare that you could buy and I could communicate 3 miles away.

My experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If your radio doesn’t seem to work right after install, 99.9 times out of 100 it’s your connector.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/InBNyWI1-Ys?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid116663″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></div></div>

The only thing I’ll quibble with on that video is the choice of a small soldering iron. I’ve soldered literally hundreds of PL-259’s in the last 50 years. I use a soldering gun. It produces a lot more heat right now and speeds up the process quite a bit.

One other comment….it sure would be nice to know exactly what the manufacturers put inside that fiberglass pole. I could fit a four foot long antenna into a 4 foot fiberglass pole that would smoke a 2 foot long antenna shoved inside of an 8 foot long pole….It’s like guns. Barrel length is important but so is caliber. The only reliable thing we have to go on is peoples experiences with different antennas, Like JMP1890’s report.

SR

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My Shakespeare 5225 XT has been great for 14 years and I’ve communicated over 20 miles on open lakes.

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m going with the 8 ft. I already have the ratchet mount so all I need is the antenna.

tim hurley

Brian, joking right? You can have 99.9 times out of a thousand not a hundred-I am 110% sure of this!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.