another area business is closing

• puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

This summer it was meat on mille lacs that closed, today, it is meleen’s that is closing there doors. They are having a 50% off sale on everything in the store, except, gas, lottery, and tobacco. I don’t know when they are shutting the doors, but it looks like it will be soon. Just so you know, the closest 24 hour gas station is in milaca or garrison.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Very sad. It’s not just the resorts that are being affected.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Bummer – We almost always stop there for something. I wonder if someone else will give it a go.

-Drew

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks for the post. Sad news indeed…

-J.

puddlepounder

Paul and holly also own a resort on sturgeon bay. It sounds to me that they are going to focus on that business and leave the mille lacs area. I don’t know if all the problems in this area is the reason for leaving, or if trying to run two businesses that far apart just got to be too much?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m sure everything came into consideration in closing the station. As a former business owner in Mille Lacs county I can say they probably are tired of the tax burden. I can only imagine the taxes they pay. Seems the powers that be haven’t figured out you can’t tax business out of existence and still expect to have taxes paid by the soon to be former employees.

Kudos to Mille Lacs county, you contributed to yet another business closing! Be sure to raise the taxes on the remaining businesses for next year.

tucrs
    NW Metro

That is a big bummer I always liked that place and would stop there all the time. Tutt’s will get my business from now on.

puddlepounder

You can still get bait and tackle at lundeen’s

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I should clarify. Taxes would only be one reason. I’m sure the health of the lake and the loss of tourism this past summer didn’t help either. Also Reeds had opened their shop down the Hwy a few years ago. when you have so many taking a slice of the pie it doesn’t take much to tip the whole scale.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

This is sad news.
    I would sure think that place could still make money though, couldn’t it? It is busy all the time. Prime stop-off point on the way to anywhere in the north part of the state.

kroger3
    blaine mn

I should clarify. Taxes would only be one reason. I’m sure the health of the lake and the loss of tourism this past summer didn’t help either. Also Reeds had opened their shop down the Hwy a few years ago. when you have so many taking a slice of the pie it doesn’t take much to tip the whole scale.

I know back to back late openers killed them and everyone else. Especially 2 years ago when there was no opener. Lots of different nails in the coffin….

puddlepounder

Looks like today is the day. I don’t know if somebody is going to swoop in and open a new station. When it was a holiday station, it was one of the top gas selling holidays in the state.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Looks like today is the day. I don’t know if somebody is going to swoop in and open a new station. When it was a holiday station, it was one of the top gas selling holidays in the state.

It’s a hot location, it won’t sit empty long.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

rumor has it that it is going back to the Woodlands Bank which the Mille Band band own. As Chief Art Garbo said in 1989, “We will take it all back by any means”.

just something that I heard….

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

It is in control of Woodlands Bank as they held the primary note. Word is that the sheriff’s auction did not produce a satisfactory offer. Therefore all inventory was sold and both the gas and propane were removed. It is now locked and it would seem odd that if the Band were to take over there would be no reason to liquidate at under cost only to have it replaced.

stuart
    Mn.

Bummer,was a good place to stop.

puddlepounder

the band already ownes the marathon/subway just up the road. i wouldn’t think they would put another station so close, but i am wrong more than not, just ask my wife.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.