Am I okay for Canada?

• Deuces

This thread makes me wonder how the internet forums south of the border for border crossings look like lol

tswoboda

Tswoboda

If you have managed to get into Canada or Mexico with nothing more than a standard US drivers license, you are one lucky guy. Your chances of winning the lottery is about as good as that happening. Not saying it can’t happen, but I would for sure not count on it.

You’re imagining words into my mouth, completely contradicting what I’ve already stated in this thread ??? Please read my direct quote below.

A regular driver’s license won’t get anyone into Canada, not sure where you go that idea. Proof of citizenship and proof of id are the requirements and 16 is the age cutoff, under 16 they only need the proof of citizenship (birth certificate). Birth certificate is proof of citizenship and DL is proof of ID. Passport/card/EDL all cover both proof of citizenship and ID.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Birth certificate is proof of citizenship and DL is proof of ID. Passport/card/EDL all cover both proof of citizenship and ID.

In order to even get a passport/passport card/EDL, you need a lot more than just an ID and birth certificate. There is a specific list of items that qualify and you cannot use one for more than one purpose in full filling the requirements, so I’m not sure why you would think a simple DL and birth certificate are good enough, i.e. being equal to a passport/passport card/EDL. If you showed up at the passport agency with the intention of applying for a passport, or the DMV with the intention of applying for an EDL with only a birth certificate and ID, they would tell you to leave and come back with more acceptable documentation.

I allowed my personal passport to expire because I had not traveled outside of the US via plane in over 10 years. I updated my DL to an EDL and the requirements were exactly the same as a passport.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hers the last opinion………drive separately from your group so if you get denied you can turn around and go home.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You’re imagining words into my mouth, completely contradicting what I’ve already stated in this thread Please read my direct quote below.

If I miss understood what you said, I apologize. I though somewhere you said or implied you could get in without a enhanced DL or passport. I have asked several border agents what forms of ID are acceptable for entry. Each time I’ve received the same answer:
    A passport, A passport ID card, Or a enhanced DL from the US. If there are other forms allowed, then they either are not aware of them or simply choose to not accept them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Lots of good Info here:
    https://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/denied-entry-to-canada.php#:~:text=If%20border%20agents%20have%20denied,always%20at%20their%20sole%20discretion.
    Keep in mind this statement:
    When an individual is denied entry to Canada from the United States of America, they are informed of the official decision in writing. If border agents have denied you entry to Canada, it is crucial that you obey their orders and do not try to cross the border again until you are legally permitted. It can be counterproductive to dispute the denial with the Canada Border Services Agency since entry to the country is always at their sole discretion. Instead, if you still wish to get into Canada your focal point should be obtaining approval to re-enter the country in the future, and contacting an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer can help.

Riverrat

An EDL is not proof of citizenship. It does not guarantee entry into any country. It only guarantees entry into the US from those countries. It is harder to get your EDl than a passport and proof is needed each time you move. A passport only needs to be changed if your name changes. If I told you forget the EDL and get the passport and a passport card my boss might not be pleased but it is what it is. A passport card will get you over the border by land or sea also.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

An enhanced drivers license will get you into Canada and Mexico by land or sea. It will also get you on a cruise in the Caribbean.

That’s the reason I got it. So I can drive into Canada. Its half the cost of a passport.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Man you guys are good at bickering over nothing. And creating confusion

tswoboda

If I miss understood what you said, I apologize. I though somewhere you said or implied you could get in without a enhanced DL or passport.

What I’m saying is that a US Citizen can cross a land border into Canada with the combination of both a Birth Certificate and Driver’s License.

I fully agree with you all that a passport or passport card or enhanced driver’s license are better options and recommend everyone to go that route. But a Birth Certificate and Driver’s License will get you across the border and back.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Hers the last opinion………drive separately from your group so if you get denied you can turn around and go home.

This is what anyone in our party who has a pass DWI has to do if they are not willing to do the necessary paperwork to get pre-approval Nothing worse than being at the border and having one member denied entry and have to try and figure out how to get them back home. By the time we are at the border we are almost 5 hr’s into the trip. Adding 10 more hours + gas to get the person back home is not going to happen.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

But a Birth Certificate and Driver’s License will get you across the border too.

Only if the Border agent accepts that. Once again, the final decision is up to the border agents discretion. I myself am not willing to take that risk. If someone else wants to, Go ahead.

tswoboda

Only if the Border agent accepts that. Once again, the final decision is up to the border agents discretion. I myself am not willing to take that risk. If someone else wants to, Go ahead.

And that’s perfectly fine but just realize based on Canada’s immigration laws a passport is not required. I’m sick of talking friends off the ledge based on misinformation they read online.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

An EDL is not proof of citizenship. It does not guarantee entry into any country. It only guarantees entry into the US from those countries

As I understood it it was as good as a land passport and that is why I got it. Because of covid and other factors I have not had a chance to use it yet. Am I misunderstanding that?

To the OP looks like you got all the info you needed, I’m sure your glad you asked. jester rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am waiting for the “why do you have to go to Canada to catch fish” guy… coffee jester doah

Gitchi Gummi

And that’s perfectly fine but just realize based on Canada’s immigration laws a passport is not required. I’m sick of talking friends off the ledge based on misinformation they read online.

have you recently (in the last year or two) traveled into Canada with only a DL and birth certificate AND been able to get back into the US with only those 2 items? Its one thing to get into Canada… I care more about getting back into the US than I care about getting into Canada. Sure it probably could have been done 5-10 years ago but times they are a changin’

deertracker

I care more about getting back into the US than I care about getting into Canada.

I think this is the point that @tswoboda was originally trying to make. They can’t deny re-entry if you are a US citizen. Will they make it hard? Probably. Would it be easier if you had what they wanted? For sure. But you will still get in.
    DT

tswoboda

have you recently (in the last year or two) traveled into Canada with only a DL and birth certificate AND been able to get back into the US with only those 2 items?

Me personally? No, I haven’t crossed without a passport or EDL since I was a kid. People in my vehicle? Yes. Also had friends (in my vehicle) cross with an expired passport.

I want to get back into the US more than I care about getting into Canada.

I hear ya, and assuming you are a US citizen… what exactly do you think they’re going to do with you?

I’ll say it again, get the passport/card/edl. I’m not advocating regularly crossing with a DL and BC. But for the guy reading this who’s nervously waiting on the passport in the mail, or the guy who’s buddy asked him to go on a trip 2 weeks before they leave… don’t cancel your trip, you will get in and back home with your BC and DL.

tswoboda

I think this is the point that @tswoboda was originally trying to make. They can’t deny re-entry if you are a US citizen. Will they make it hard? Probably. Would it be easier if you had what they wanted? For sure. But you will still get in.
    DT

Thank you so much

CaptainMusky

Probably read it on a forum
    A regular driver’s license won’t get anyone into Canada, not sure where you go that idea. Proof of citizenship and proof of id are the requirements and 16 is the age cutoff, under 16 they only need the proof of citizenship (birth certificate). Birth certificate is proof of citizenship and DL is proof of ID. Passport/card/EDL all cover both proof of citizenship and ID.

I dont think you can get an enhanced drivers license until you are 18 which is what required us to get him a passport. Buddy went through the exact same thing with his kid 3 years prior.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

What I’m saying is that a US Citizen can cross a land border into Canada with the combination of both a Birth Certificate and Driver’s License.

Yes he is correct! Do it every year multiple times for the past 20 years. They are not fond of it if you have many in the vehicle because it takes longer but they cannot deny entry.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Getting back into the US is nothing I’ve ever given a thought to. I’ve personally never know a US citizen denied re-entry to the US. But I know more than a few who have been denied entry into Canada.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have no idea what you need per se – I have always just used a passport for everything, but we have a guy who has went with us that had a DUI within the last 10 years (this was right before Covid and 2 trips before that as well).

We approached it the exact same time each crossing. We always had 2 vehicles going due to gear and number of people (6) and one boat, but could all get into the one with the boat if he was ever denied. Everyone on the trip was on the same page and it was all understood beforehand each time. We all always had passports and would roll down all windows, hand them out, and the entire process took no time. I’m a firm believer in passports being a factor in them NOT saying anything, noticing, or caring about his relatively recent DUI. It just seems like a passport is less hassle for both you as a traveler and them, that they scrutinize everything less. That’s solely my opinion, and ultimately it’s still up to the person who is at the border working on that day.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Side note. One of the biggest things the Canadian Border patrol looks for from their own citizens when re-entering back into Canada is Goods purchased and attempted to be brought back into Canada without declaring or paying the proper Duties for. I’ve witnessed this on several occasions when entering Canada. Last year a Canadian Citizen was detained at the border for attempting to bring back a supply of Batteries for a solar setup on his Camper. He lied and was caught. He had been at the border for over 6 Hr’s when I talked to him. I heard a agent tell him he better not try anything like that again as his passport was now flagged and he would be CLOSELY inspected every time he ever tries to re-enter the country. Not Exactly sure what CLOSELY inspected involves, but my guess is it will take a long time and a long delay.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Exactly how you do it. Have a good communicator driving.. all windows rolled down, sunglasses off. Don’t talk unless asked a question. Kind of like the soup nazi line. grin

FinnyDinDin

And this is how these threads always turn out…

lol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Exactly how you do it. Have a good communicator driving.. all windows rolled down, sunglasses off. Don’t talk unless asked a question. Kind of like the soup nazi line. grin

Yep that about sums it up. Once someone in the auto starts talking to much, or a answer gets changed or paused for, Things are going to get more difficult. Simple answers just to the ?’s asked and nothing additional is the way to go. Some of the things they ask may be odd, but they are trained to pick up on little things.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

And this is how these threads always turn out…

lol

So what would have been your simple answer to the original poster been? This was simply different people who have had different experiences. None of the answers more correct or incorrect than another. It sure would be nice if the Question had a clear answer, but I can tell you when it comes to Canadian border crossings they are no clear answers.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.