Buying a Used boat?

• williams.luca

What are some things I should look for and should check out when buying a used boat? Im looking at getting a 16ft tiller competitor or something similar

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I am sure others will think of other things but the main things I look for in both the motor, trailer, and boat are:

1. Buy a compression gauge at Napa and check each cyclinder on the motor; they should be +/- 10% of each other.
    2. Look for anything odd inside the engine under the hood. I generally stay away from “rebuilt” power heads; but that is only me.
    3. Check for any mouse nests. They can do alot of damage when they take up residence inside an outboard motor. Look for leftover food (seeds, grain??) and small chew marks on the wires or foam inside the hood.
    4. At a minimum, start the motor with ear muffs and listen for anything odd.
    5. Check the trailer for welds or damage; if the lights don’t work, maybe use that for a price reduction?? Also check the axle for damage (had this happen once to me); you can tell if the wheels are worn unevenly.
    6. Check the floor for any softs spots; it can be replaced but it can be a little more work than what it would appear.
    7. If it has trim/tilt, make sure it operates fine.
    8. Make sure the title is clear of any 3rd party interests (had this happen once). Also, make sure all the title transfer and registration paperwork is complete and up to date.
    9. Be wary of “ran fine 3 yrs ago”, “just needs a simple tune up”, or “might need a quick carb cleaning” in any ad; especially on CL. These are relative terms and may involve alot more than a simple fix.
    10. Check for water in the lower unit by turning the bottom drain slowly; water will settle in the bottom and will be first to come out of the drain opening.

Again, this is my “check list” and I am sure others will add to it.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

My best advise is to get the prospective boat into the water and let the owner show you how it runs.
    Let you at the controls a bit, and see how it actually performs. If the owner will not do this, maybe a good idea to pass on that one.
    Honest sellers are more than happy to do this as this can be a make or break part of the sale.
    Just my take on it.

Roger

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

+1 on the sea trial!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

^^ All good advice here ^^

If you are not comfortable with trying to do the compression test yourself I would suggest meeting at a shop of your choice and have a mechanic look it over and do the test for you.

I bought a used boat on CL from South Dakota and the guy was willing to meet me half way. From that I knew he trusted the trailer on the highway if he was willing to tow it that far – we each drove about 3 hours to meet.

Take some time to really look around and get the feel of what you want, I was surprised I was actually able to find what I wanted and what I could afford with the first few boats I owned.

Good luck

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

What are some things I should look for and should check out when buying a used boat? Im looking at getting a 16ft tiller competitor or something similar

Do a search on “competitor” in this forum and make sure the boat you’re considering doesn’t have any of the same issues.

Change the criteria at the bottom of the page to….

Show “from all dates”.

dbright
    Cambridge

If you are taking it out on the water bring with a extra person or two depending on what you plan on having with you fishing. Nothing worse then a boat that can’t plane or struggles to plane. My fist boat was fine with me and two other average people but if you put two bigger people in it wouldn’t plane.

Aaron

Check the transom strength! Tilt the motor up and push then push down on it couple hundred pound guy, the transom should be able to support the weight without any flex. obviously take into consideration haudralics, good way to check those seals as well, for any leaks. If its a fiberglass and there is any flex in this move on to the next boat cause its not worth the risk of the wood inside being rotten and spending a few thousand to have it all replaced, my buddy had this happen was a $3000 fix and there are very few people who do this. Aluminum boats are the same deal if it flex=not a good idea. As for the rest everyone else has good points, drop it in the water and have them run it after inspecting it.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I once had a mechanic ride my motor (F80 Yammie) like he was a saddle bronc rider. He was showing me that the tilt and trim was functioning properly after he repaired it.

I guess you could give that a try to test a transom.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Very good points to consider. Will be selling my first ever rig (great starter boat). Not an alumacraft but hoping to buy one as a upgrade. The points made will serve me well when I put it on the market.

Thanks guys

D

Johnbrad

Look over material used for riggings, depending on the craft, analyze the gel-coat and make sure bulk heads are secure.

Johnbrad

Ask for a maintenance history on the boat. Find out what major repairs have been made to the boat. If a lot of work has been done to the boat, chances are there will be lots to come, which translates into dollars.

Adley

If you’re looking at an inboard/outboard boat check to make sure the trim works, which allows the motor to move from the down position to the angled position.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Take it out for a test ride.

If you are unsure about anything walk away.

Go to the DMV with the owner and take care of the paperwork right away.

It is a sellers market right now though.

16 – 18 foot tillers don’t last long.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.