Rod holders for Navigator 165?

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I could use some help from your experience in mounting rod holder bases into a 165 Nav tiller. The boat is here but I don’t see any easy way to put bases into it. I’ll appreciate any tips/clues/experiences you have.
    Thank you
    LundgEYE

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

By a versa track mount and some ram rod holders. You can slide em up and down the rail or take the holders out when your puttin on the cover. That’s what I did and love it

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

P.s. I don’t have a navigator but it still works on one

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run a 175, and I assume it has the same narrow gunnels. In the back, I mounted 3 foot rails. I attached a couple pictures that show at least some of the rails. In the front, I used RAM flush mount bases. Drilled a hole with a hole saw just big enough for the section the holder fits in and then screwed it in with stainless screws. Fits perfectly. I don’t have any pictures of those though. I also installed one flush mount base on the plate where the side and transom come together. You can see it in one of the pictures. I had a hole from a GPS puck there that I needed to cover.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have an03 165. I also did three foot rails in the back. Side mounts up front though.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Quote:

Previous post on installing flush mount rod holder bases on Navigator gunnels

Scroll down to Navigator175’s reply.

X2.
    I have a Nav 165 and drilled flush mounts in my gunnels after seeing a Nav 165 tiller with them installed. I used Scotty bases.
    There is a note of caution–be sure to place them off-center so that you do not drill into the side of the hull, yet not too close to the inside of the gunnel that the base cannot be screwed or riveted (as I did) into the gunnel extrusion. The rail system is a very good one and you may find it easier to install and definitely more adjustable. Up front that may not be the best system unless you plan to have passengers up front and could use the grab bars up there.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

You guys have really given me some greeat ideas and techniques. Guess I’m off to buy some parts and pieces, and get busy. Thanks everybody for helping me with this. This is my first time setting up an Alumacraft and it’s just a bit more interesting than the Lunds I have done in the past.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

I run a 175, and I assume it has the same narrow gunnels. In the back, I mounted 3 foot rails. I attached a couple pictures that show at least some of the rails. In the front, I used RAM flush mount bases. Drilled a hole with a hole saw just big enough for the section the holder fits in and then screwed it in with stainless screws. Fits perfectly. I don’t have any pictures of those though. I also installed one flush mount base on the plate where the side and transom come together. You can see it in one of the pictures. I had a hole from a GPS puck there that I needed to cover.

For the flush mount do you have to drill through the bottom side of the gunnel as well or just the top side? I am about to do the same and debating on installing traxstech rails instead…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The hole saw hole for the part the rod holder inserts into needs to go through both the top and the bottom. Mount the holder as far toward the inside of the gunnel as you can while still allowing room for the screws. If you mount it too close to the outside (anywhere from centered out) you will have issues with the tube the holder slides into hitting the edge of the boat and not fitting all the way down without cutting a part of the bottom of the base off. Check out the post linked earlier in this thread.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

What a handsome devil in that musky picture. He looks like one hell of angler.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.