New prop results

• look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I have a 09 185 Tournament Sport with a Yamaha F150 and T8 kicker. It came with the standard 19P SS Yamaha Reliance prop and I was just not happy with the lack of bow lift and some porpoising issues I have been having the past two summers. This spring I started looking around for a new prop and settled on a Powertech OFS 3 blade 19 pitch that was recommended by Ricky at Brainerd Props. It is vented to improve hole shot and the 15.25” diameter helps to improve the bow lift and staying on plane at lower speeds. After getting the motor moved up to the third hole from the top I had the chance to run this prop all week while on vacation. The results have been very satisfying so far, I’m getting 48 mph GPS at 5800 rpm’s with two people and a half tank of gas. Hole shot is still very good along with the improved bow lift, better ride and no porpoising. If any of you guys have the same setup and want to improve performance I recommend giving Ricky a call.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I have a 09 185 Tournament Sport with a Yamaha F150 and T8 kicker. It came with the standard 19P SS Yamaha Reliance prop and I was just not happy with the lack of bow lift and some porpoising issues I have been having the past two summers. This spring I started looking around for a new prop and settled on a Powertech OFS 3 blade 19 pitch that was recommended by Ricky at Brainerd Props. It is vented to improve hole shot and the 15.25” diameter helps to improve the bow lift and staying on plane at lower speeds. After getting the motor moved up to the third hole from the top I had the chance to run this prop all week while on vacation. The results have been very satisfying so far, I’m getting 48 mph GPS at 5800 rpm’s with two people and a half tank of gas. Hole shot is still very good along with the improved bow lift, better ride and no porpoising. If any of you guys have the same setup and want to improve performance I recommend giving Ricky a call.

Good to know Mitch. I’ve been talking with Ricky about the WX1850. I should be receiving a Powertech OFS 18p sometime in the near future to test.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

That sounds like good results, but IMHO the best thing you could do now is put the best ‘whale-tail’ back there you can afford and you’ll take it to a level you’ve yet to know even existed… I’ll never have an outboard with one.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

What were your old GPS speeds and RPM’s?

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Quote:

Mitch is retired now, doesn’t always remember things like he used to. I’m sure he’ll get back to you in time, since that’s all he has is time these days.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Quote:

Speed 47 mph at 6000 rpm.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Mitch is retired now, doesn’t always remember things like he used to. I’m sure he’ll get back to you in time, since that’s all he has is time these days.

My GF calls it a selective memory

MilleNortEnder

I have a 2005 t.s. 185 with a f200 and a t8 kicker, stock 21p prop 2 ppl I am only seeing 40-45 depending on wind and waves. Not sure on rpms but I was hoping for 50 + prior to purchase, think a prop would get me there?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.