Tough fishing on Altoona

• dave53
    Altoona, WI

Was out on Lake Altoona today from 6:30-12:30. Took my new son-in-law out. The fish didn’t want to cooperate. We worked pretty hard for the few fish we caught. We caught a few perch and some smallmouth. The biggest smallmouth was just over 16.5″. Saw lots of carp in the shallows, so we decided to go home and get the bows and see if we could thin the herd a little. The warden was making the rounds, so we flagged him down and asked about bowfishing on the lake and he said they encouoraged it.

We got back on the water around 5:00 but the water was so churned up from a day of speed boats and then the water ski show (or practice) so it was tough to see the fish. We did get a few shots, but not any hits. We’ll have to try again in the morning or after dark with a spotlight.

Still a great day on the water.

Dave

whittsend

Thanks for the report, Dave.

Same story for us. Hit the water early Monday for a few hours of fishing before other family plans (and to beat the Memorial day crush of boats at the landing)…

Caught a few panfish, but it was very slow. Slip bobbers and crawler chunks.

Mike

whittsend

Fished last night for all of 20 minutes.

By the time we threw my wife in the lake and mader her swim 3/10’s of a mile (training for a triathalon.. OK, she willingly jumped in… ), the kids were tired and hungry.

Zero fish in those 20 minutes, just thought I would throw out the latest update. Beautiful night to be on the water, though!

Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.