AIS inspectors at landings

• carver
    West Metro

Do they have any right to check inside your live well, or any compartment for that matter?

Angler II

Do they have any right to check inside your live well, or any compartment for that matter?

Nope.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I was told at the access in Walker the other day that they DO have the right, as AIS inspectors–to inspect ALL of your boat and related stuff. He told me that it is written in the AIS related laws….as this was after a guy had denied him access to his boat. The AIS inspector called a CO immediately.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I was told at the access in Walker the other day that they DO have the right, as AIS inspectors–to inspect ALL of your boat and related stuff. He told me that it is written in the AIS related laws….as this was after a guy had denied him access to his boat. The AIS inspector called a CO immediately.

My question is why did the inspector not show you a written copy of the section giving him that authority. One would surely think that this information, in written form, would have been provided to the inspectors along with all the rest of the materials given to them for the job at hand.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The way I read it, if they are AIS Inspectors, they are to only be looking in places that can contain AIS, that has/had water in it. This means livewells are inspectable, but a dry compartment (IE glovebox) cannot. Also I read into it, if they find “other” violations (23″ walleye in the livewell on Mille Lacs) they do not address that either, unless they are DNR or LE. See below…

They are looking in areas of the boat that could contain water or come into contact with the water for possible AIS. If conservation officers or other law enforcement officers perform the inspections, they will be required to deal with violations of state law that they come across even though their primary focus will be AIS.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

. The AIS inspector called a CO immediately.

That aswers the question and that is why he called the CO. No they have no right to open compartments let alone step upon your property.The only athority he has is to call the CO or any other recognized enforcment agency for suspected violation. Be prepaired when or if enforcement arrives or pulls you over and you’d better be served if your squeky clean.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Most of you will see it in your life time where all of the lakes are infested.

Then there will be an out cry for help to those out of AIS jobs…but more importantly, fishing/boating will get back to the way we’ve known it in the past.

In the mean time, stop resisting. (said dripping with sarcasm.)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS we do not vote for the highest DNR official. He’s appointed by the Governor. No reason to blame someone for following instructions given to them from they’re boss.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The Governor does not create laws either… that’s the congress’ job. crazy

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

A relevant MN Supreme Court case…

Therefore, a limited inspection of certain parts of the open boat would not be prohibited under the Fourth Amendment.4  As such, under the facts of this case, it was permissible for the conservation officer to conduct a lawful nonconsensual inspection of the areas of Colosimo’s open boat typically used to store or transport fish.   By refusing to submit to the officer’s lawful request to inspect these areas of his open boat, Colosimo violated Minn.Stat. § 97A.251, subd. 1(3).

– See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-supreme-court/1323869.html#sthash.6gglaphK.dpuf

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I’m for doing the best we can…and that is not always easy!

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0719.jpg

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think it is awesome that a state entity can make up a law that goes against the Bill of Rights, namely the 4th amendment. This is the one commonly known as the “search and seizure” right. IMHO the AIS guys can say whatever they want, but I refuse to let them look in any of my compartments. I will not let me rights slowly erode just because some clown says they have the right.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

glenn57
    cold spring mn

have been inspected twice up at lake pokegema by grand rapids. they asked to look in my live well no other compartments. the ones I dealt with where respectful and pleasant. when she asked what lake I would put the boat in next I told her I had no idea. she said fair enough and I was on my way!!!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Living in the metro I”m checked most times I”m out on weekends ( most everyone ) I’ve never had a problem. I always answer the same. What lake were you on last ” this one ” what lake will you most likely fish next ” this one ” this goes for whatever lake I’m fishing on. Did you use your livewell ” nope ” they take a look around the boat while I”m putting the straps on and letting water drain out of prop. Then it’s always ” looks good – thank you ” then I’m on my way. Never had a issue with any of them. I agree that it’s all a waste of time and money but it is what it is. They have to look like they are at least trying to do something to stop the spread of the invasive species.

dbright
    Cambridge

My favorite encounter was yesterday pulling my boat out the kid comes over and looks over my boat and trailer and says I am good and turns and starts walking away. I take a quick walk around my boat and 5 separate weeds hanging off the trailer and motor. Good thing these people are there. flame

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Governor does not create laws either… that’s the congress’ job.

True to a certain degree. The dnr will draft bills or endorse a bill drafted by others and it’s the legislators that passes them along with the Governor that signs or vetoes it.

Or the DNR makes a rule and the legislators/Govenor never sees them.

Either way, the Governor is the driving force.

IF our Governor would direct the DNR to back off AIS we would be like most other states, concerned but not freaking out with $$ like we (MN) have been.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The MN DNR is on a roll.

Just received the third notification in less then three weeks of another lake infested with Zeebs.

At this rate, even I might see things getting back to normal. crazy

Nice shot Pug.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

After several years of AIS B.S. it is hilarious to open the MN Fishing regulations each year and see just how much we’ve “Slowed” or “Prevented” the spread…

for 2015, see pages 63-76
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2015.pdf#view=fit&pagemode=bookmarks

For 2016, i’m betting there’s another 5 pages of lakes added.

By 2017 they’ll be listing the Non-Infested lakes to save paper.

Maybe by 2020 it’ll be back to normal BK.
    But you know we’ll have to go through a dry dock/clean procedure (red/green boat) before they eliminate that last page of “NOn-infested” lakes from the rule book.

Anyone care to look at previous books and tabulate the rate of increase..uh..i mean..decrease of infested lakes per year?

Dumb inspections.

Attachments:
    1. Capture.png

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

After several years of AIS B.S. it is hilarious to open the MN Fishing regulations each year and see just how much we’ve “Slowed” or “Prevented” the spread…

for 2015, see pages 63-76
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2015.pdf#view=fit&pagemode=bookmarks

For 2016, i’m betting there’s another 5 pages of lakes added.

By 2017 they’ll be listing the Non-Infested lakes to save paper.

Maybe by 2020 it’ll be back to normal BK.
    But you know we’ll have to go through a dry dock/clean procedure (red/green boat) before they eliminate that last page of “NOn-infested” lakes from the rule book.

Anyone care to look at previous books and tabulate the rate of increase..uh..i mean..decrease of infested lakes per year?

Dumb inspections.

Now I know why you remind me of Coach Bobby Knight…He had the brilliant quote of ”I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.”…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I like Don Lincoln’s quote better. “Comply”

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

@roosterrouster

…Never contsructive, just straw man banter…

Now I know why you remind me of Coach Bobby Knight…He had the brilliant quote of ”I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.”…

I won’t stoop to your level.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

@roosterrouster

…Never contsructive, just straw man banter…

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>roosterrouster wrote:</div>

I won’t stoop to your level.

…good that you see my point…Your “level” has already been seen over and over again…

hnd

so is this like a new paid position then? there are dnr employees strung about the state at major fishing destination boat ramps just sitting there waiting for boats to come in and inspect?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think they’re summer interns, at least they all seem to be young kids. I’ve run into a few of them that seem a little dense (like the guy that I insisted I empty my minnow bucket after I told him I was fly fishing) but no real problems. For the most part just kids doing a summer job. That being said, I haven’t run into any of the lakeshore/homewowner types yet. I’ve never had anyone insist they look through my boat.

SR

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

What I can’t understand is why does it matter what lake I was last on as I am launching my boat into a lake that contains every AIS there is already???

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I was at a softball field over the weekend that had a boat ramp. I casually walked by on my way to check out the fishing pier. The young individual had a cooler with them as they soaked in the sun. I asked if I could inspect their cooler (you can’t be too careful these days, right? AIS could be anywhere).

They refused. I LOL’d.

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

This i what i found at one of our landing. Granted he park and was out on the lake. But why did he take the time to clean it off to show that he cares. Make sure you read the tail gate!!! Maybe the weed police (AIS) should inspect them! LOL

Attachments:
    1. 11700938_785858744868622_1378219407095433543_n.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What is a federal wildlife officer?

Also, he’s not breaking any laws or rules. That I know of at least.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

This i what i found at one of our landing. Granted he park and was out on the lake. But why did he take the time to clean it off to show that he cares. Make sure you read the tail gate!!! Maybe the weed police (AIS) should inspect them! LOL

Wait – I am confused here. So you want him to clean it twice?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.