Air Bag installation in rear suspension

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Looking to get some air bags installed in my Ram 1500 to help with the squating. Quotes from a Dodge dealer is crazy expensive. Radco prices were way cheaper. I live in the Annandale area. Anyone have recommendations on who to use to install them? Looking at the airlift brand. The main thing is I want it done right so I don’t want to bring it to a shop that has never done it before. Thanks. Chad

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I did the Firestone brand and installed it myself in my 2010 F150. It was pretty damn easy. Are you installing a compressor?

If not, I’d just do it yourself or find a buddy who’ll help.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I did the Firestone brand and installed it myself in my 2010 F150. It was pretty damn easy. Are you installing a compressor?

This ^^

If you just want manual fill bags, they are easy to install yourself.
    From what I’ve seen that is what most guys are using on the Dodges. I agree, the Firestone bags are the way to go.
    If you want a compressor that’s much more involved project that I’d not recommend doing in the driveway.

dbright
    Cambridge

I installed a set of Airlift bags on my Dodge last spring. Very easy install but it was unfortunately a two day deal since they did not have the right hardware pack. They were fast at getting it out to me though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Come on over to the garage I will install them like 20 bucks cheaper than whatever your most expensive bid was. Just kidding they are simple to install I have a 2017 Dodge I put them in

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

I know you’re looking for an installer, but seriously, I gotta agree with these guys. Installed Firestones on a Chevy 1500. If you have a set of wrenches and maybe a drill, depending on the kit, you’re looking at a couple hours work. Less time than you’ll spend calling and driving to an installer.

I put an onboard compressor in mine and was able to do everything on a lazy Saturday.

404 ERROR
    MN

Yup, did Firestones on my 11′ F-150. Took me about an hour and a half. Only reason it took that long is my factory bump stop got hit so hard that it broke the weld on the nutsert in the frame, requiring me to remove it with a cutoff wheel.

I guess WSAndy was right, I drive my truck too crazy…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A neat little tip. If you go without the compressor, install the schrader valves through the bottom 2 holes in your license plate. Makes for a great unintrusive place to put them.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

What load are you putting in the truck that causes the squatting? Depending on the COG of your load, air bags can have a jello side effect on your suspension. There are other fixes for that but just wanted you to be aware that your ride might change.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Depending on the COG of your load, air bags can have a jello side effect on your suspension. There are other fixes for that but just wanted you to be aware that your ride might change.

Wouldn’t that only happen if both bags are connected together in the same circuit? They should definitely be on their own circuit so they can be adjusted individually.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>
    Depending on the COG of your load, air bags can have a jello side effect on your suspension. There are other fixes for that but just wanted you to be aware that your ride might change.

Wouldn’t that only happen if both bags are connected together in the same circuit? They should definitely be on their own circuit so they can be adjusted individually.

No. Even with independent circuits side to side rocking can get amplified.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.