AGM Batteries and Charging them

• flanders51

Ok, I have a couple questions:

1. I just bought two AGM size 30 batteries from Cabelas for my trolling motor. I think they should be a big improvement. I currently run two size 27 batteries and they are a “little” small for the compartment. Will my size 30 batteries fit in the tray or do I need to buy and install two new size 30 trays in my Alumacraft Trophy 175 boat?

2. I have a 20 amp, 3 bank charger in the boat. It currently charges three size 27 batteries: 2 for the trolling motor and one cranking battery for the engine. The engine battery is a lead battery. So, can I, should I, use the AGM setting on my charger to charge all three batteries even though one is a lead battery?

I know, tough questions. I don’t need a new cranking battery and I don’t want to spent $200 more just so they are all AGM. Thoughts?

David Ellingson

Don’t know about you trays, I would think they would handle size 30 batteries. As for the charger AGM batteries charge the same as standard lead acid. My charger only has two settings, Gel and AGM/standard lead. My starting battery is regular lead acid and deeps are AGM. Been charging them together for the last 7 years and they have worked fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.