Advice on picking someone up at MSP

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Will be picking up my brother at MSP on our way to LOTW on Thursday 10/17. I’m concerned that the fact that I will be pulling a boat will complicate matters. Will be picking him up around 6:30pm at terminal 1. Not sure if I would be able to maneuver in the cell phone lot with a boat trailer at that time of day. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have gone through there with a boat on, not great but doable. Can always go over to river rd and park and wait for him to let you know you have landed. Hidden falls as a last resort. Don’t try to get over to the curb and get out and hug, stay in the 2nd or 3rd lane. Have him jump in.

B-man

Should be just fine. Park near a quiet exit, even if it means he has to walk a little farther waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Find a nearby lot to wait in (MOA or maybe Fort Snelling) and once he’s got all his stuff and is ready to go swing thru and pick him up.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Have him take the light rail to the terminal 2 and pick him up there.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

How much stuff does he have? Another option is to have him take the train to Terminal 2 (MUCH less crowded), the Mall of America or Fort Snelling.

It shouldn’t be too bad for you going to Terminal 1. But that would shift some burden to him and you would have a MUCH easier time.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

This or have them meet you at 28th ave stop. Lots of big open lots around there. Way less traffic. I’d avoid going thru the terminal with a trailer but I suppose it happens.

grizzly
    nebraska

Fishing report please

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Are you driving by yourself? There are a few strip malls off of highway 5 that are really close to the airport, if you have a buddy with you, pull into one of those and unhook the boat and have him stay with it while you go pickup the other guy.

It’s a little bit of a pain and probably adds a bit of time to your trip though.

zooks

How much stuff does he have? Another option is to have him take the train to Terminal 2 (MUCH less crowded), the Mall of America or Fort Snelling.

It shouldn’t be too bad for you going to Terminal 1. But that would shift some burden to him and you would have a MUCH easier time.

I like this best, especially if you’re just passing through. Keeps you closest to the freeway so you can get back on the road ASAP. Good luck and report back on the fishing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It can be done. Took the Navigator with to drop my folks off at the airport. Just be prepared to get in and out fast. If you drive being mn nice might not want to give this a try.

404 ERROR
    MN

Like others said. The rail between the terminals is free, have him take it to terminal 2.

munchy
    NULL

A little known pickup and dropoff spot at Terminal 1 is on the other side of the street from the main dropoff area and connected to the parking ramp. It requires the incoming passenger to go to the ticketing area, then to the top floor, crossing over in the skyway (yellow line) then going down a floor which brings you right out to the pickup/dropoff site.

The driver picking up drives up the road to the DROPOFF area but instead of going into the dropoff area (purple line) follow the orange line taking the first left at the top of the hill. It brings you into a typically empty area where I have sat waiting for 45 minutes without being hassled. And you’ll only see a few vehicles or busses at any time. Its perfectly legal to be in this area and very convenient during the high traffic times for both pickup and dropoff.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191003-045436_Maps-1.jpg

2. Screenshot_20191003-045436_Maps.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Munchys idea looks like the best to me. That or just bust right in with your boat. I dont think it will be that big of a deal. You just have a longer vehicle. Nobody is going to hit you. Just stay out a lane or two instead of hugging the curb. Maybe go further towards the end or wherever there is less parked traffic. Piece of cake.

Rick Janssen

I have done this MANY times when my son and DIL come back to fish. Good place to park with a trailer and easy for them to get there also.

watisituya
    North Metro

Whenever i pick my buddy up i have him hop on the light rail up to target field, I park in that holiday below the light rail station. But i come from the north and this helps me avoid driving to Bloomingtion… Maybe have him get off at the VA station so you can park?

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will let you know how the pick-up goes and more importantly, the fishing. Hoping the weather cooperates…

grizzly
    nebraska

good luck and have fun

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I work at the airport. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to navigate with a trailer anywhere near terminal 1. The lane Munchy mentioned is there, but it MAY be a commercial vehicle only lane as it is often clogged up with city busses, employee busses, hotel shuttles, parking shuttles, etc. during peak arrival and departure times. There is construction around terminal 1. Have him take the train (free) to terminal 2. You have comparably no traffic there and all the room to maneuver with a trailer. If you have to go early and wait, there is a Holiday gas station on 34th and 494 you could sit at that is about 2 minutes from T-2. Another option is the cell phone waiting lot on Post Rd. It backs up to Ft Snelling National Cemetery. Not sure it would work so well with a trailer as it does not have any parking spaces big enough for a vehicle/trailer unit. You can try to navigate the alternate lane at T-1, but don’t expect to be able to just sit there. It’s a sensitive area that gets watched closely by both airport police and TSA security. One picture below shows the cell phone waiting area on Post Road, and the other shows the Holiday gas station on 34th Ave.

Attachments:
    1. 21D74C90-9E7E-43D5-9006-6F9B182AA5D8.png

2. C5645D71-B460-4E40-B2AD-C470C63D14E3.jpeg

3. FE1E9E40-A9A1-4FBE-A7AD-FEBD17BAF77E.jpeg

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

We picked him up at Terminal 2. Smooth sailing! Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.