6 inch vs 8 inch ion

• jech84

Just wondering opinions on fishing walleyes out of a 6 inch hole. I mostly fish for gills and crappies through the ice but every once in a while I get an opportunity to chase walleyes. I have never fished walleyes out of a 6 inch hole and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I am sold on a battery powered auger, now the question is what size.

prospector
    Wyoming

My buddy bought a six and when I bought my eight, He was wanting the bigger one. They both cut like butter.

AaronMoore

I would get the 8″, when (if) the ice get too thick I find it easier to bring a fish into a 8″ over the 6″ hole.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

A walleye that is 29 inches and length and has a 15 inch girth and will weigh right at 10 lbs. A six inch diameter hole has a circumference of 18.85 inches. A ten pound walleye will fit thru a 6 inch hole with room to spare.

jech84

I’m thinking 8 inch might get the nod. Although Huntindave has a point, losing a big walleye or pike due to hole size would haunt me for a long time. Thanks for the responses!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

8. 6 is a small hole most use with hand augers or drill rigs because it’s “easier”.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Over the years I have used augers all the way up to ten inch. I currently use a 5 inch and a 7 inch. The 7 inch is a real nice size hole. Not too small and not too big, easy to auger. Everyone has their favorite and I guess a 7 inch is mine.

(I realize the 7 is not an option for an Ion auger)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.