6.5 creedmore

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Looking to get another rifle in the next couple of years and I think this will fit the bill. What are some of your suggestions for the gun? I am thinking about a ruger or tikka bolt action, synthetic stock, some kind of coated barrel. What kind of optics are guys liking now? Not looking to break the bank, just looking for a good deer/anything gun. Thanks!

tornadochaser

I have a ruger american 6.5cm with vortex rings and a vortex diamondback HP 4-16×44. Shoots sub MOA 5 shot groups with 4 of the 9 loads I’ve tried so far. I’m into the gun/scope for less than $700.

Buddy of mine has the Bergara scheels exclusive rifle and that gun is smooth and accurate.
    Another buddy just built a 6.5 off of a bare Howa action from Brownell’s. I haven’t seen groups from that build yet, but my buddy said it shoots really good.

Midway has some Vortex Viper scopes (next line up from the Diamondback HP) for 35%-55% off right now; a few of those models would be excellent choices for a 6.5.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks! I’m definitely considering the rugar American rifle.

grpubl7
    Central WI

A bud in AZ won that exact rifle and he is pretty happy with the accuracy he’s getting.

Do not overlook any of the Savage hunting rifles. Of the low-end factory rifles that we see come through deer sight-in clinics, these will consistently shoot better than anything else. They might be a bit ugly, but they shoot better than the average hunter will ever need.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Mossberg MVP LC 6.5 with the same vortex Diamondback hp as mentioned above…though I’m not sure they make that still. I have the vortex viper which Is a little spendyer but same glass.

Very little kick with the 6.5. I’m still getting used to it but it may be my go to rifle soon.

I really like the ruger precision looks but got a smoking deal on the mossberg I couldn’t pass up.

I’m plinking out to 500yrds with it. Tried 700 but ammo was to light.

tornadochaser

What bullet/factory round are you shooting out to 700? Try any of the 143 or 147 grain ELD hornadys yet?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

What bullet/factory round are you shooting out to 700? Try any of the 143 or 147 grain ELD hornadys yet?

129g Hornady whitetail Ammo. That’s all I had.

tornadochaser

I think you’ll like the performance of the 140+ grain bullets past 500 yards. Give them a try next time you’re out shooting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.