5' Short Leadcore rod thoughts?

• Brad Dostal

I am looking at buying some lead core rods and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the 5′ short rods? The ones I am considering are a cabelas brand but I know Scheels makes some still. I found some all set up with Okuma CV 30D Convector line counter reels each loaded with 100 yards of 18# Leadcore line. The short rods just have me concerned. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gitchi Gummi

I have the 5 ft cabelas shorty rod and its a solid rod for running leadcore on the inside lines of your spread. I have used it trolling on lake superior for probably about 5 years and it gets the job done just fine.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I use the Cabela’s shorts. They work fine and are cheap. 5ft on the inside and 12 footers on the outside. Remember your trolling with leadcore, not finesse fishing. I’m very happy with them

rivrtroller
    northeast Illinois

I also use the Cabelas 5 footers for my inside rods . Thought the action and shortness would cause me to lose fish do to the no stretch of leadcore . I was greatly surprised . The rod actually has a lot of “give” to it . Caught some real hogs up at Mille lacs and over at Erie with no problems . I use 10 footers in the front . I mainly use the lead in the rivers I fish but have been using it more often lately . Took 4th place on the Illinois river MWC this spring pulling lead.

holstc

I use limit creek 5 footers and prefer them over the cabelas or JM versions. They are just mroe fun to catch fish on.

I also have a few rigged up with braid to run out the back with snap weights also. Great way to spread the lines out to avodi tangles.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Im not a fan. Some really like them but they are not for me.
    I have a pair of cabelas and a pair of JRs.
    Id sell ya any or all real cheap. Nothing wrong with any of them.

flanders51

I have two 5 ft, “The Runt”, trolling rods from Limit Creek: http://www.limitcreek.com/TrollingRods.html

I use them mainly for leadcore. I troll for walleye and sauger on Lake Pepin, mostly. However, I have used them in Canada trolling for lake trout and I have caught trout up to 12 pounds on them.

They work great. Nice action. They make the fight more fun. I am probably going to buy two more. Can’t go wrong.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I had a post on this a few months ago and went with two cabelas depth masters. I am happy with them so far but if I was to have one recommendation and that is not to buy a Peregrine Leadercore shorty. Got some from fleet farm before and there is little to no sensitivity on the rod and I struggle to feel the bait with only a couple colors out.

sktrwx2200

5fters are great.. maximize the spread on your rods to minimize the tangles.. Seems like the shorties catch more fish for some reason. They handled a 40 pound channel catfish, and an accidental tail snagged 60lbs paddlefish just fine with 18# leadcore. I wouldnt have any concerns.. Ive got 2 st croix eyecons and 2 scheels xtreme trolling.. I cant tell the difference in feel or action between the 2. Scheels rods were cheaper.

Oldmill1973

I have enjoyed trolling leadcore with the 5′ Limit Creek rods for seven years. Brag on these and recommend them often.

fargotridad

I have a pair of them and love them. I caught a 10 # walleye on them and it handled it great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.