2023 pheasant reports

• Gitchi Gummi

suzuki, do you use an ecollar? the vibrate function or a light nick might be able to get her attention.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

suzuki, do you use an ecollar? the vibrate function or a light nick might be able to get her attention.

You’re right. That would likely work. I have an ecollar but dont use it full time. Im going to try and change that with my young dog and use it 100%. I dont know if its old school or just laziness that I have not been using it all these years on 3 different dogs. I would like to think its not necessary but in fact everyone I know uses them and its for a reason. My bad.

ps-shhhhhhh Im doing it….

Gitchi Gummi

99% of the time throughout the bird hunting season, an ecollar isn’t totally necessary… But that 1% of the time you need it, it’s REALLY nice to have one.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I wouldnt go without one either, but I hunt with pointing dogs and the main reason is for the beeper because they go on point somewhere and I have no idea where they are so I turn the beeper on to locate them. I have RARELY had the need to shock my dog while hunting. I think in all the years maybe twice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I went today to a couple spots and folded up a couple of dumb ones. I raised about 15 at two spots. One of the roosters landed right in the ditch and they are full of water where I hunt. The dog willingly went for a swim to retrieve it.

Finally some corn being harvested too. Stunning day out there.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3679.jpg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Can confirm, beautiful night. 20 min limit on my way to Fargo. Corn came out last week and birds were easy to come by.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2525-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One more time girl. The last motel bed.

Attachments:
    1. 20231117_205525-scaled.jpg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Anyone seeing any huns while walking this year?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Twice. Got shots once and got one.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve never seen a Hungarian partridge in 25 years of pheasant hunting.

Makes a guy wonder why the daily bag limit is 5.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

We hunted what I call “metro” pheasant spots today. Weather was warm, and only flushed a hen. Now that deer is done, we next tried a private spot I can hunt. My buddy missed one, but we managed to bag one. Looked like a really mature bird to me, just look at the beak! Saw another 5 or so roosters that flushed just out of range. A fun day afield for sure.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231118_213713.jpg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I saw a covey of huns this year in far south central MN. I was driving and the were on the shoulder of a gravel road. First time I’ve ever seen any in my life.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Quite a few in the Stephen-Argyle area this year. They are everywhere you look inside Fargo. Never when Im kicking brush for roosters though.

Charlie W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>

Quite a few in the Stephen-Argyle area this year. They are everywhere you look inside Fargo. Never when Im kicking brush for roosters though.

Oh yes. Have seen a bunch of different coveys myself since September 1st in MN. Just have not bumped into any walking yet. Pray for another drought and we’ll have a bunch more next year.

That is why the limit is still 5. They’re around if you know where to look. Shot 4 last year.

Charlie W

Got a couple more this evening with the pup. First small, immature bird we have found this season (have only hunted pheasants 4 days this year). I actually called hen but then it let out the weakest cluck I’ve ever heard.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5938-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We finally got humbled in Iowa. Tried the NW and although the countryside was beautiful we could not connect with birds. Also were in the extreme drought area and that had to make things worse. Two of us shot 3 bird.

Charlie W

We finally got humbled in Iowa. Tried the NW and although the countryside was beautiful we could not connect with birds. Also were in the extreme drought area and that had to make things worse. Two of us shot 3 bird.

Have you bumped into any quail on your trips? Or have you been too far north? I’m thinking about heading down there end of December or into January and really want to target the bobs.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Never seen a quail there and I have hunted as far south as Desmoines. We see Huns once or twice a season but usually in a plowed field while we are driving.

CaptainMusky

My middle son took the hound and went hunting with 2 friends. He shot his first rooster. His friends can’t hit anything so they should have had more. He missed on but it was a long shot. Nice mature second year bird.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Check out the beak on this one! Last Saturday waseca county. Nice spurs, tail, the works.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231118_213713-1.jpg

FinnyDinDin

I’ve never seen a Hungarian partridge in 25 years of pheasant hunting.

Makes a guy wonder why the daily bag limit is 5.

The limit is 5 because hunting has little to no effect on their population. They are a boom and bust bird. When there is a drought they can reproduce well and populations explode and the opposite when wet.

Based on your posts, I’d say you are too Far East to see huns.

The key to shooting huns is to be driving the roads at dawn and dusk and catch them when they are coming out to pick gravel and make a quick play on them. Then avoid flock shooting and pick a bird. I haven’t jumped many while working the cover with a dog.

We went out to North Dakota right after their pheasant opener and saw a good number of huns and were able to shoot two. Both very colorful males. Cool birds. My brother is mounting his. There were good pheasant numbers everywhere but we found a pocket where they were stupid thick. Birds running up and down the roads at dawn and dusk in groups up to 100 birds. We quickly realized we had to stop shooting road birds or the dogs wouldn’t get a chance to work. Filled up our three bird limit each person in no time every day and came home with a possession limit. It was almost too easy. I am going to try to do a quick trip out there late season. I need to spend a little time working before doing another trip. I have been on vacation a ton this fall for a few waterfowl trips and the pheasant trip.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Based on your posts, I’d say you are too Far East to see huns.

Guess I just assumed that they had the same range as pheasants. Apparently not.

CaptainMusky

I haven’t seen a hun in decades. Had like 10 flush right in front of my dad and he never fired a shot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hunted one spot today at noon for about 40 minutes. Raised 9 and got 2. Easy peasy.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3685.jpg

Charlie W

Hunted one spot today at noon for about 40 minutes. Raised 9 and got 2. Easy peasy.

That parking spot looks like it could be a grouse trail. They certainly don’t all live in the SW part of mn.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That parking spot looks like it could be a grouse trail. They certainly don’t all live in the SW part of mn.

Haha. That’s just where I park the truck.

I usually walk that spot and then end up back near the truck where there is that grove of trees you can see. Every once in a while there is a bird or two in the trees, but it’s hard to get one in there.

I had deer hunted that area for a week straight and saw a lot of pheasants. Plus the neighbors cornfield came out last week too. I didn’t even make it halfway through the piece before I had to unload my shotgun and turn around.

isu22andy

Never seen a quail there and I have hunted as far south as Desmoines. We see Huns once or twice a season but usually in a plowed field while we are driving.

Shot 21 pheasants today . 7 man limit in Iowa . 5 quail . The best numbers I’ve seen in my 32 years of existence . 2 hours south of the MN border . I will add – this was some private CRP with food plots . Damn near too easy, but I won’t pass up the offer to tag along . Props to you fellas grinding it out on public. Spent Many a day myself walking all day for 2.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

4 guys and 3 dogs and we bagged 2 MN public land roosters yesterday morning. Call it a win for only driving about 50 min out of the metro and hunting a new to me wma.

Attachments:
    1. bird.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

I might try and get out after some MN pheasants this weekend. Fun fact – I’ve only ever hunted pheasants in SD and never in MN. I’m scouring maps trying to find a couple spots to try on Saturday. I’m used to looking at maps for grouse cover so thats throwing me for a loop. Total different ball game from what I’m used to

If anyone has a pointer or two that they’d be willing to share, I’d be all ears and can return the favor with some grouse pointers/spots. Shoot me a PM if you’re willing. Thanks guys!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I might try and get out after some MN pheasants this weekend. Fun fact – I’ve only ever hunted pheasants in SD and never in MN. I’m scouring maps trying to find a couple spots to try on Saturday. I’m used to looking at maps for grouse cover so thats throwing me for a loop. Total different ball game from what I’m used to

If anyone has a pointer or two that they’d be willing to share, I’d be all ears and can return the favor with some grouse pointers/spots. Shoot me a PM if you’re willing. Thanks guys!

Any specific area of MN?

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.