2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• CaptainMusky

Help me understand this. What does buyout vs trade mean for the Wild?

If the wild had traded he and or Suter and they retired early due to injury the wild would get slapped for what is called a cap recapture penalty. Its some stupid rule they implemented AFTER these two signed their contract that penalizes teams if they are creative in how they structure a players contract (front load so its easy to buy out).
    I’ll try to illustrate it. Say its a 10 year contract worth $10M per year. The AAV is $10M. The team can however do this:
    Year 1 – $15M, Year 2 — $15M, Year 3 — $15M, Year 4 — $15M, Year 5 – $15M, Year 5 — $15M, Year 6 through 10 $2M each. If they buy out the player after year 5 they are basically saving $8M against the cap based on AAV so that team is penalized for this amount for each year that player doesnt finish out that contract. Its complete BS.

CaptainMusky

That was an elite shot too!
    The Tom Kurvers showcase which is at tria this weekend will be streamed on the Wild youtube channel. Not sure if its all games or just the ones the Wild are playing in. Friday at 7 and Sunday at 3.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Tom Kurvers showcase which is at tria this weekend will be streamed on the Wild youtube channel. Not sure if its all games or just the ones the Wild are playing in. Friday at 7 and Sunday at 3.

Yeah, I really want to watch the Saturday Blues vs Blackhawks game because I don’t see Bedard playing in the Sunday game vs the Wild…my guess is Chicago will stream that game for their fans to watch Bedard..

CaptainMusky

Yeah we will have to keep an eye out for options to view that one.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah we will have to keep an eye out for options to view that one.

per the Blackhawks website:

The Blackhawks will face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday at 6 p.m. CT and take on the Minnesota Wild on Sunday at 3 p.m. CT. Both games will be streamed on Blackhawks.com

JoeMX1825
    MN

1 week to training camp start and still no apparent movement on an Addison contract???

Normally this isn’t odd as every year there are numerous RFA’s still unsigned by camp, but the Wild’s situation is different in that there’s ZERO money to really negotiatie with and BOTH sides know it…

I wonder if GMBG is quietly shopping him right now? We could really only receive back guys still on their ELC or draft picks…if that’s not it, then what’s the holdup?

JoeMX1825
    MN

oh and Marat K bench yet again today for SKA in the KHL…hopefully he doesn’t succum to the pressure and sign an extension with them to play…full disclosure I don’t know if he’s injured or not, so it’s possible he’s out because he’s hurt…

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Here’s a link to tonight’s live stream in case a hockey fix is needed.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

1 week to training camp start and still no apparent movement on an Addison contract???

Seems odd to still unresolved and no news about it either

JoeMX1825
    MN

guys to watch tonight with a legit shot of eventually making the Wild 1-3 years down the road are Wallstedt, Walker, Heidt, Haight, Novak, Petrovsky, Hunt, Lambos, Spacek and Masters…I have no idea what Kumpulainen looks like in terms of talent..

everybody else playing are merely roster fillers…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Its going to be alot of fun watching the Iowa Wild Defense prospects grow up together the next few years…

CaptainMusky

The defense looks very good and wallstedt is a stud.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ooof, not much offensive talent in this group of prospects… Hunter Haight shows flashes of high skill, but too often he disappears…. Sammy Walker is the best player on the ice for both teams.

This group is all Defense…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

guys to watch tonight with a legit shot of eventually making the Wild 1-3 years down the road are Wallstedt, Walker, Heidt, Haight, Novak, Petrovsky, Hunt, Lambos, Spacek and Masters…I have no idea what Kumpulainen looks like in terms of talent..

I think Peart has a legit chance to make the roster when he leaves St Cloud. He looked pretty good at the end of last season, his second there, and is developing quickly.

He was tabbed as a preseason all-NCHC conference selection last week. I think he went right from Grand Rapids HS after he won Mr Hockey to St Could State too – no juniors. Not very common these days.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I think Peart has a legit chance to make the roster when he leaves St Cloud. He looked pretty good at the end of last season, his second there, and is developing quickly.

He was tabbed as a preseason all-NCHC conference selection last week. I think he went right from Grand Rapids HS after he won Mr Hockey to St Could State too – no juniors. Not very common these days.

for sure, I just listed guys playing tonight…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Reilly Heidt has looked good on offense..Keumppelianen has size and knows how to use it, but skates like his feet are in cement…

tswoboda

Tough night for the goalie of the future eh

Agree on Sami Walker looking out of place – I remember 2 years ago that was Boldy and Addison, only difference is they were about 4 years younger.

STL average agr has to be about 2 years older overall, right?

The D play is pretty disappointing considering they’ll almost all be in Iowa this year… could be a tough season there.

Hite and Hate could be a fun line combo in a few years, 2 complete skill guys. Hate should probably keep his gloves on though jester

Where is Beckman?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Beckman already played in it 2 years (that seems to be the Wild limit)

Wallstedt only let in 1 bad goal imo, the rest were crease deflections or back door tap ins…

Not sure who #58? was on Wild defense but he was godawful and probably a -3, they paired him with Hunt in the 3rd to help… I thought Lambos and Spacek looked good, Lambos can really move the puck and Spacek is just so steady…

The Blues lack the top name prospects (besides Snuggerrud) but brought a roster full of solid late 1st & 2nd rounders from the past few years with AHL experience.

Wild just had no offense besides Walker and Haight, Heidt stood out playing with lesser talent, but physically looked like the 18 year old he is…

Tune in tomorrow to see Bedard dance around everyone…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Elliott Friedman is reporting the Wild are close to signing UFA Jujhar Khaira.

WHO? Yeah I had to look him up as well…

He’s a 6’4” forward who missed the majority of last season in Chicago with a back injury…4th line depth guy I have no idea how we can afford…

JoeMX1825
    MN

watching tonight, Bedard looks like any other 18 year old skilled rookie, the big difference I see is he has an amazing shot, which he showed on the Powerplay (but honestly he just picked a corner with about 5 guys screening the goalie) its an insane release though…

I just dont see any speed in his game right now other than his stick…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Another Powerplay corner picked…

JoeMX1825
    MN

completes the trick with an against the grain snapshot in the slot… lol crown him right fricken now! )

tswoboda

Yeah Joe we get it Bedard sucks, 3 goals tonight all soft. Can’t wait for the 18 year old to put up like 50some points this year and you’re like I TOLD YA SO!

Fanitilli tearing up the Traverse tournament as well. We could finally see some exciting 1st year rookies again this year, would be the first time since Matthews and Laine.

Khaira was the 1st guy to get Troubaed like 2 years ago and honestly I thought that was the end of his career. Had no idea he was still in the league

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah Joe we get it Bedard sucks, 3 goals tonight all soft. Can’t wait for the 18 year old to put up like 50some points this year and you’re like I TOLD YA SO!

Fanitilli tearing up the Traverse tournament as well. We could finally see some exciting 1st year rookies again this year, would be the first time since Matthews and Laine.

Khaira was the 1st guy to get Troubaed like 2 years ago and honestly I thought that was the end of his career. Had no idea he was still in the league

I never said he sucks, I’m just fascinated with the response he’s getting (go look at twitter) and people reacting like they’ve never seen a good shooter before…

Ripjiggen

Why are you fascinated he’s been hyped for years as the next McDavid or Crosby and has done it at every level to this point.
    One of the main reasons that the draft was hyped as deep and these “top guys would go number 1 in any other draft.”

You go number 1 in the “deepest draft in years” you are probably pretty good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Marat is back centering the 2nd line today for SKA. It just sucks nobody can get any information on why he was out the last 3 games (injury? Discipline? contract?).

Surprised the North American hockey press doesn’t have any contacts over there…

tswoboda

Excited to hear the fluke reasons why Bedard scores on Wallstedt today

JoeMX1825
    MN

Excited to hear the fluke reasons why Bedard scores on Wallstedt today

if he plays Chicago is the dumbest franchise in history…

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 5,506 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.