2021 gardens

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

not sure how many gardeners are here, but………figured i’d try.

has anyone wandered through a garden center yet????? i have not as of yet, but my wife went to visit a friend yesterday in monticello. her friend said she had gone to a greenhouse to buy a couple hanging plants and she said the prices where outrageous!!!!! doah doah

sure hope vegtable plants arent that way!!!!!!!!! crazy

Dan
    Southeast MN

Reading my mind on a Sunday morning! I plan on having one for the first time since moving off the farm after school. Did a lot of tilling the last few days. This year is going to be very simple with sweet corn and potatoes, possibly carrots as well. Still deciding if I want a raised potato bed or grow them in the ground, my back is just suck an obstacle to so many things in my life.

I’m also hoping to plant a few trees this year.

There have been a few annual garden threads on here that I’ve looked through the pages of and gained a lot of insight from, glad you started one so I can see and learn from people this year too.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Reading my mind on a Sunday morning! I plan on having one for the first time since moving off the farm after school. Did a lot of tilling the last few days. This year is going to be very simple with sweet corn and potatoes, possibly carrots as well. Still deciding if I want a raised potato bed or grow them in the ground, my back is just suck an obstacle to so many things in my life.

I’m also hoping to plant a few trees this year.

There have been a few annual garden threads on here that I’ve looked through the pages of and gained a lot of insight from, glad you started one so I can see and learn from people this year too.

toast waytogo about a week ago i planted dill and radishes, yesterday i put in onions and kalarabi, cool weather plants this weather really shouldnt affect them.

i’ll wait till after mothers day or fishing opener weekend to plant the rest. things like green beans, and carrots, peppers and tomatoes too.

i’d just like to go get my tomato and pepper plants before there way picked through.

you should be good putting your spuds in now!!!!!! i got really tired of them darn potatoe bugs so i quit planting them.

sji

We have our first row of carrots in as they don’t mind cool weather at all. Will plant another row in three weeks or so. I also have stopped planting spuds. I could go through them before work and pinch 100 or more Colorado Potato Beetles and by evening there would be 40 more.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Haven’t done anything other than a pot of spinach that I’ve had going since late February.

I’ve got to get the garden tilled soon.

I was unhappy with our raspberries, so I killed/removed them last fall and have new plants scheduled to ship the first week of May. Hoping they do well!

Otherwise, we’re doing snap peas, beans, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli. I tried potatoes last year, but they got some fungus/disease, and I got nothing. I’m not willing to try again.

Brad Dimond

I am also pulling raspberries. Not enough sun in the raspberry bed, will bring them to my son for planting in the back yard of the house he bought last fall. Otherwise the same as most years, a salsa garden. Tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, herbs plus cukes, lettuce mix, spinach and green beans. I plant Mammoth sunflowers around the perimeter of the garden, this year am planting pole beans at the base of the sunflowers. Purple, red and yellow pole beans while I will plant bush green beans.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Start my tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and peppers in my homemade window green house.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210424_133409047-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20210424_092028_01-scaled.jpg

3. IMG_20210424_092013_01-scaled.jpg

MNdrifter

I’ve got all my seeds. The usual, green beans, peas, carrots, pickles, squash, pumpkins. I planted my dill this week also. I will buy my lettuce, pepper, and tomato plants probably next week or week after when they show up at the nursery.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I plant Mammoth sunflowers around the perimeter of the garden.

Ooh, I should do some of those. The kids would love it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve got all my seeds. The usual, green beans, peas, carrots, pickles, squash, pumpkins. I planted my dill this week also. I will buy my lettuce, pepper, and tomato plants probably next week or week after when they show up at the nursery.

for what it’s worth, fleet farm ad today is advertising them. 19.99 for a flat. I’ll be on my way shortly to scope it out. waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just done at the waite park fleet farm. Don’t bother unless you want to make extra trips. They had tomatoes, cabbage, and a bunch of herbs, no peppers.

B-man

This is our second year for a garden after a long hiatus.

I recently bought an electric tiller after contemplating getting a gasser. For smaller gardens this thing rocks peace

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/augers-tillers-compactors/earthwise-trade-16-13-5-amp-corded-electric-tiller-cultivator/tc70016/p-1508866089685.htm

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210425_174951665-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20210425_174936433-scaled.jpg

3. PXL_20210425_174931236-scaled.jpg

Brad Dimond

I was at Menards today, bought some squash and pole beans to grow at the base of the sunflowers. A variation on the three sisters theme, sunflowers instead of corn. I regularly get sunflowers that are >10 feet tall. I got Royal Burgundy heirloom beans, should look cool pickled with green beans and yellow beans.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

My fall crop of spinach survived the winter and has been going like crazy since early March. I mulched them in last fall and kept a cold frame on them until it snowed. We had a spinach salad at both Christmas and easter. Definitely will do that again.

The local Menards was pretty expensive and picked through by Saturday. 2.99 a plant, and most of them were frostbit and sad looking. So glad I sprout my own now. Seeds were picked through pretty bad too.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

seeds start showing up on the shelves about mid feb, first part of march…..when i see them out i get what i need right then and there!!!!!!! whistling waytogo

this year i’m going to do the same with my plants i get….. i think they will go fast!!!!!

Nick Matti

I try to get as many of my started plants as possible from the local HS horticulture club. There usually isn’t a ton of variety, but the plants always come in great shape, they are really cheap, and it supports a good program!

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I bought the same electric tiller as Bman except mine has 4 tines. I really like it, lite weight, easy to move around, but still work for a 83 year old man. I removed a tine on each side, hope it easier, slower but easier on my back.

Snake ii’s

I started plants indoors a few weeks back – mainly peppers (30+ varieties – mostly hot, super hot and ridiculously hot) , tomatoes (6 varieties) and basil (6 varieties). “Hardening them off” by exposing them to sunlight past couple weeks, so they should be ready to plant in a week or so.

Planted peas, beans, rutabagas, beets, lettuce, carrots, spinach and dill in the raised beds.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

All I need are tomato and pepper plants. They have always been readily available at Home Depot when I need them. Hopefully this year is the same.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

All I need are tomato and pepper plants. They have always been readily available at Home Depot when I need them. Hopefully this year is the same.

yea maybe i just need to drive a bit further into st cloud.

the old saying if fleet farm doesnt have it you dont need it is dead. i need to just give up an the store with no more!!!!!!! doah

thanks for the heads up suzuki!!!!!!!! waytogo

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

At least there’s time yet. I always plant around Memorial Day weekend. Probably before but often just after and everything has time to produce. I wish my garden was bigger so I could have beans and cukes again. Now I go heavy on tomatoes for canning and salsa. I can get 8 or 9 plants in with just enough room for 2-3 varieties of peppers.

tornadochaser

Started tomatoes, peppers, and some other stuff in the basement a few weeks ago.
    Put down a thick mat of grass clippings and leaves last fall. Tilled that in last night. Also expanded the garden another 160 sq ft. Will set the tiller deeper and run through it all again tonight. Probably plant carrots and some flowers this week. Onions and rhubarb already doing good.

Brad Dimond

At least there’s time yet. I always plant around Memorial Day weekend. Probably before but often just after and everything has time to produce. I wish my garden was bigger so I could have beans and cukes again. Now I go heavy on tomatoes for canning and salsa. I can get 8 or 9 plants in with just enough room for 2-3 varieties of peppers.

I have a small garden, use trellises to plant cukes and beans. These from Menards are $15 each, last for years – https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/lawn-plant-care/plant-supports/48-a-frame-plant-support/83712mn/p-1536906618378-c-1463608034801.htm?tid=-8124460726209938337&ipos=2

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Got all the rest of my garden plants yesterday, and scored these today. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210508_145103696-scaled.jpg

B-man

I was out of town this week for work and came home to find that the boys were busy planting stuff in one of the gardens jester

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210514_003154930-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I was out of town this week for work and came home to find that the boys were busy planting stuff in one of the gardens jester

rotflol rotflol

As of 3 pm today my garden is completely planted. waytogo

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol
    Your boys are just awesome!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Coming right along!! waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210520_174315662_HDR-scaled.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We’re upping the scale for this year. Have many plants started and just needed to prep the ground. Picked this spot and finally working on getting it sprayed off. 48’ x 1200’. Be interesting to see how much I share with the critters this year

Attachments:
    1. AF318A18-6301-44A9-995F-9CE7B48ADEA5.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We’re upping the scale for this year. Have many plants started and just needed to prep the ground. Picked this spot and finally working on getting it sprayed off. 48’ x 1200’. Be interesting to see how much I share with the critters this year

wowzer…that’s alot of planting!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo good luck!!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.