2019 Rainy River Reports

• Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

On a related note I fish the Ontario side of Namakan in the summer which has a different slot limit than the Minnesota side. It has been my understanding that you could keep a fish in Ontario larger than what is allowed in Minnesota provided you return directly to your dock or access in Minnesota without stopping. I asked the warden if this was still the case and he said it was. The restriction only applies to the number of fish, not the size.

Sam Menard

Have also heard rumors of the Canadian side going to catch and release next year.

Not next year, maybe 2021.

B-man

Just got back from the river. Fished Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday.

Boated a bunch of fish and had a good time.

Biggest was 29 1/8th.

When it clouded over the jig bite would really slow down…..be versatile and change tactics if it happens to you too.

And move, move, move. Try new areas away from other boats.

We caught a lot of fish in spots that were featureless on the graph. Just plain old flats with nothing special to hold fish.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190405_105302-1.jpg

2. IMG_20190405_125124.jpg

B-man

….

Attachments:
    1. IMG_00482-1.jpg

2. IMG_20190403_171958.jpg

3. IMG_20190405_173355.jpg

4. IMG_20190404_163349.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Great report B-Man! It was about time for some pics…..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fished all weekend. Going home now. The walleyes were there to be caught, but after the 400th 16 incher we got board and switched it up. Targeted sturgeon for 2 hours Saturday afternoon. Buddy hit a beautiful 60 inch fish, shortly after I caught a 50, and my 7 year old son caught and fought a 57 on his own 100 percent. He kept trying to give me the rod because his arms were tired, id take that rod and plant it under the belly line on his life jacket. I wasnt about to steal his biggest fish of his life. There was a crowd of about 20 boats around and when we landed his 57 every one gave Mason a round of applause, it was priceless. Less then 15 minutes later he was napping on the floor of the boat.
    All and all it was a great trip. Lots of walleyes,no hogs in our boat biggest was 25.5 but it was still a great time.
    Lines are long and boats are thick.

Attachments:
    1. 20190406_111736.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Masons 57
    My 50

Attachments:
    1. IMAG00191.jpg

2. IMAG0012.jpg

grizzly
    nebraska

Good job Mason you will remember that fish for the rest of your days. congrats

B-man

Atta boy Mason!

It was nice meeting up with you guys Friday waytogo

Way to out do the old man yay

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Fished Wed afternoon & Thu. Lots of smaller males, my buddy got a 27″ & 28″, no piggies for me. Water 34 degrees, both Forks looked like they may not even break loose by the 14th without rain.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

2. image-1.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Atta boy Mason!

It was nice meeting up with you guys Friday waytogo

Way to out do the old man yay

It was nice meeting up with your group as well. Brats and beers in the parking lot is always a good time. We are fox river bound this upcoming weekend now.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Would you mind sharing how you caught your sturgeon and the kind of area you target. We are headed up Wednesday and I hope to spend some time targeting my first Sturgeon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Would you mind sharing how you caught your sturgeon and the kind of area you target. We are headed up Wednesday and I hope to spend some time targeting my first Sturgeon.

PM sent

blank

Nice pictures Bearcat. I was in the Tracker by you and quickly talked with you at the landing. It was really fun to watch your son fight that fish. He did a great job maneuvering around the motor and keeping that rod tip up. Good that you were able to land it just before that giant iceberg came by too! Such a great day on the river and so many fish caught in that area. Congrats again to Mason!

P.S. I apologize if our boats of friends by us were annoying, yelling back and forth.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice pictures Bearcat. I was in the Tracker by you and quickly talked with you at the landing. It was really fun to watch your son fight that fish. He did a great job maneuvering around the motor and keeping that rod tip up. Good that you were able to land it just before that giant iceberg came by too! Such a great day on the river and so many fish caught in that area. Congrats again to Mason!

P.S. I apologize if our boats of friends by us were annoying, yelling back and forth.

No worries we usually are in a group fishing doing the same thing.
    We had a bunch of action so I didnt even notice. You guys all cheering my son on sure made him feel like a rockstar.
    It was nice meeting you at the launch even though it was a short meet.

basseyes

Words of encouragement for a kid like that from another boat is always an ego boost to a kid. Cool deal.

lindyrig79

Nice report fisheyes and bearcat. And well done Mr Mason. Will be looking forward to getting my son out there someday.

lindyrig79

Looks like the USGS gauge really shot up the last two days (I think I’m looking at the right one?)

Is that a bad sign for the Forks breaking loose?

Attachments:
    1. D798A04C-910E-4288-A677-64B77066D4B7.png

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

WTG Mason! WTG Dad!

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Looks like the USGS gauge really shot up the last two days (I think I’m looking at the right one?)

Yes it is. I drove over them this afternoon on the way home and they were still intact but the ice looked really bad. Dark with lots of water on top. I would guess they will go tomorrow or Wednesday. Also the discharge at the Manitou Rapids went from 14,000 cfm to 17,500 since yesterday. River height went up a foot too. River was dirtier today with noticeably more leaves, grass and junk getting caught on your line. Water temp dropped 2 degrees from Saturday as well. Bite was slower today for us and everyone else I talked to.

dbright
    Cambridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Yes it is. I drove over them this afternoon on the way home and they were still intact but the ice looked really bad. Dark with lots of water on top. I would guess they will go tomorrow or Wednesday. Gauge on the Big Fork also went up 2 feet in the last day.

I looked at the gauge on the little fork this evening when we got off the river. It went up almost 7′ and doubled in flow in the last two days.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Just my luck….. I am heading up Thursday and pretty sure them damn rivers are going to let loose tomorrow or while I am up there..

Oh well what do you do? Just go and make the best of it!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just my luck….. I am heading up Thursday and pretty sure them damn rivers are going to let loose tomorrow or while I am up there..

Bring sturgeon gear with.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Messerschmidt wrote:</div>

Bring sturgeon gear with.

Oh don’t worry it’s coming with. Still hoping I can tie into a couple of good eyes. I am not giving up to easy. But the Sturgeon gear is packed and going with just in case

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yes it is. I drove over them this afternoon on the way home and they were still intact but the ice looked really bad. Dark with lots of water on top. I would guess they will go tomorrow or Wednesday. Also the discharge at the Manitou Rapids went from 14,000 cfm to 17,500 since yesterday.

The forks can “blow” and dirty up the rainy without the ice going. I’ve seen this in the past.
    The cfm jump is your indication it just got “dirty”.

Google “dirty water walleyes” for fishing advice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The forks can “blow” and dirty up the rainy without the ice going. I’ve seen this in the past.
    The cfm jump is your indication it just got “dirty”.

Google “dirty water walleyes” for fishing advice.

[/quote]

The fish are still there to be caught you just have to slow your roll big time and it’s not like shooting fish in a barrel anymore.

lindyrig79

The gauge has gone up 3 ft just today. Now sitting at about 13 ft.

klang

Was suppose to go leave today, got a report from some guys that fished it earlier and did real good. River got real muddy and they left today, Earlier than planned, we are not going up now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Was suppose to go leave today, got a report from some guys that fished it earlier and did real good. River got real muddy and they left today, Earlier than planned, we are not going up now.

Go to fox

lindyrig79

The Forks must have blown today then

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.