2016/2017 IDO Deer Contest Registration Post

• deertracker

I had a friend draw the teams last night. If you already shot a deer you want to enter into the contest use this thread. Please post a picture with your post. A little recap of the hunt is always appreciated.

Here are the contest rules again.

Here are the rules for this years Contest:
    1) I will only accept pics taken in the field before the deer is field dressed, if that is not possible please use your best discretion and make them tasteful.

2) I will require pictures of the deer tags from the winning teams.

3) All entries must be submitted with a photograph of the deer in the “2016/2017 Deer Contest Results” thread along with your team number and state that the deer was taken in.

4) Any legal weapon may be used during their set season depending upon states hunted.

5) Any buck harvested by YOURSELF is allowed to be entered into the contest. If you shoot a buck enter it, if you happen to shoot a higher scoring buck for the contest enter that too and the higher scoring buck will be the one counted and added to your team score. Still only one buck counts towards your score, but I’m allowing people to enter multiple bucks if they end up shooting a larger one or hunt multiple states.(Each team member may still only count one buck).

6) Adult does (no fawns) only can be entered into the contest, except for youth AGE 16 AND UNDER.

7) Points will be awarded for each harvest as follows:

-Two does allowed per team- 5 points each.

-Any legal Bucks are worth an automatic 10 points plus 1 additional point for each tine 1 inch or larger. Please also post the measurement of the longest tine rounded up to the nearest inch.

8) This contest is for whitetail and mule deer only.

9) Team members are not allowed to shoot Deer for each other.

***Deadline to enter the contest is 09/16/2016. There may be non MN states starting earlier but the teams are drawn randomly so it will be ok.

**Deadline for Deer entries is February 1st 2017**

Team 1:
    Deertracker
    Sticker
    dbright

Team 2:
    sktrwx2100
    poomunk
    dogs

Team 3:
    TheFamousGrouse
    Hunter D
    gunsmith89

Team 4:
    targaman
    Jason Beaulieu
    cboutdoors

Team 5:
    Mike W
    Jordanb
    Willy D

Team 6:
    bmiller41
    prieser
    Randy Wieland

Good Luck to all of the teams!

DT

deertracker

Don’t forget to post the length of the longest tine rounded up to the nearest inch along with the number of legal points. A legal tine is over one inch.
    DT

Jason Beaulieu

Might as well break the ice!
    TEAM # 4

Mule Deer from North Dakota – 3 points (don’t have length of longest tine, but will get it if needed down the road)

Whitetail doe from Wisconsin

Link below is a video from the doe hunt

Attachments:
    1. Early-Doe.jpg

2. ND-Muley.jpg

deertracker

Nicely done Jason. I will need a longest tine measurement for your FIVE point muley at some point. Darn westerners. coffee
    DT

prieser
    Byron, MN

Well, that was quick….first sit of the year. I reached my stand at 6:35 am on Saturday Oct. 8th. It really is my favorite stand and I almost always see deer from this perch. We had a new picture of a nice 10 pointer on this camera last week and decided to give it a go. Not much to speak of for the first 50 minutes and then I saw him coming from my right. About 75 – 100 yards out, I could tell he had a taller rack and I grabbed my bow and tried to get set up. He kept coming, slowly and methodically moving his way towards me. Hoping he would choose the trail that leads right in front of my stand, I got a hold of my string loop as he neared my stand. He was heading the right direction and as he did, I knew there was no hesitation with his age or rack size. He came to a halt, perfectly broadside at 10 yards and I let him have it. Backed out of my stand at 7:45 and walked back to the bunk house to let him lay. Found him in his final resting place around noon and was very happy with him. My new Personal Best 10 pointer was down and out a mear 1 hour and 10 minutes into my first hunt. This will maybe help ease the pain of all the years of sitting and hoping only to eat tag soup in December.

Team 6 – 10 point buck – longest tine length is 10″

Time for my son to put one down during the MEA youth hunt.

Attachments:
    1. unnamed-3.jpg

2. unnamed.jpg

3. unnamed-4.jpg

4. unnamed-1.jpg

5. unnamed-2.jpg

deertracker

Nicely done. That thing looks very symmetrical.
    DT

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Congrats on a great buck Prieser!! toast

sktrwx2200

Very beautiful buck. Nice job.

cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

Team 4 Minnesota Doe

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2418.jpg

Jason Beaulieu

Wisconsin Buck Down!
    Team # 4

10 total points
    Longest tine 11″

Came back from Nebraska just in time to catch this guy still hanging around a ridgeline that is usually only a “random pass through” during the rut. I’ll throw up a video at some point of the hunt, couldn’t resist that Snort-Wheeze!

Attachments:
    1. 20161101_114234.jpg

2. 20161031_085735.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

sorry for the crappie pic but quickly went from shooting it to so concentrated on getting it back, skinned and cooling that I forgot about taking better pictures until the deer was half skinked. One out of MN for team 2. 8 points, G3 on right side broke off, but what’s left is still over an inch. longest time 7″.

Saw this deer Saturday but never presented a good shot. I returned to the same area this morning as he was with a hot doe and I figured they wouldn’t wander too far. About 7 am I see movement and see them just in time to see him getting off of her. Fortunately this time the came towards me and not away and I popped him with my CVA at about 75 yards. First deer with that gun and my first MN buck.
    Now back to WI next weekend for some ‘overtime’ bow hunting to see if I can get a bigger one there.

Attachments:
    1. VZM.IMG_20161106_073100.jpg

sktrwx2200

South Dakota Archery Buck 2016. 4×4. (8 pointer for MN boys) Threw a grunt at him and he came charging my decoy. Pretty cool hunt. Was too perfect to pass up, although there are bigger bucks I had on camera, But I am happy with him for a bow kill. Now off to Missouri for rifle season for a week and then zip back to South Dakota for its rifle season! Love November!

Team #2
    8 points
    longest tine= 10.75″

Attachments:
    1. BloodRun1.jpg

2. BloodRun2.jpg

3. BloodRun3.jpg

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Team 3 doe in South Dakota

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0366.jpg

2. IMG_0369.jpg

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Team #5
    Saskatchewan Mule Deer
    15 points
    Longest Tine- 16 1/2″

Attachments:
    1. mule-4-2.jpg

2. mule-4-1.jpg

3. mule-7.jpg

4. mule-6.jpg

5. mule-5.jpg

6. mule-4.jpg

deertracker

Insane. That’s all I can say.
    DT

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dang Willy. Way to come through for team 5. Im seeing deer every day in the woods but nothing to shoot yet. Only buck so far had maybe 3″ on one side. Rain, snow and cold Ill be givin it one last shot this weekend.

sktrwx2200

Team #2.. Missouri rifle buck. 5×5.(10pt). longest tine =7 in
    Really hot weather down there this year, was really tough. No big dog this year.

Attachments:
    1. 20161115_090219.jpg

dbright
    Cambridge

Team #1 muzzy buck. Hunted my first time with a muzzleloader down south with my cousin for the last 4 days of the season and probably my last days for the year. Friday night the deer were moving as soon as we got out to the field with my cousin shooting a 10pt and doe and my small 7. Not the biggest deer but I had a hard time passing it up with the amount of time I have in the stand this year without any meat in the freezer. 7inches was the longest tine.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20161211_093511068.jpg

deertracker

Way to get it done at the end Dustin. Unfortunately for our team I am done for the year. I passed on a lot of good bucks waiting for the giant. All in all I’m happy with my season.
    DT

sticker

Nice job dbright!! Someone has to get points for our team whistling I have passed a bunch of bucks too waiting for big John, but I ain’t going to stop until the season is over. I did get a doe with the bow, but it was at last light in a blizzard and I didn’t get a pic because I was by myself. I thought I would get a few more chances to get a harvest pic.

DT can quit on us if that’s what he wants to do roll , but I am fighting til the last minute chased chased

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, sorry to Team 3, but I scored a big fat zero this year. The good news is I saw more deer this year than at anytime in the past 4 years, but I didn’t get a doe permit and I wasn’t going to take out any small bucks or we’ll never get any big bucks.

I’m starting to feel like I’m the dead weight. Like pretty soon it’ll be known as The Grouse Curse to have me on a team.

Grouse

dbright
    Cambridge

I passed on similar bucks earlier in the season with the bow but after hunting every weekend but one since bow opener. It was time for some venison. I still have a bonus tag but I don’t know that I will find the time to get out much before the end of archery season.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A bit late…
    Team #6
    Randy W
    WI – gun Season
    Buck – 4×4 – 7″ tine
    Extra buck for meat in the freezer
    Plus
    (1) Anterless

Attachments:
    1. 2016-anterless.jpg

2. IMG_9024sm.jpg

3. IMG_9031smb.jpg

deertracker

DT can quit on us if that’s what he wants to do , but I am fighting til the last minute

@sticker1

This comment is almost making me think about driving 4 hours for a Christmas day hunt. Almost…..
    DT

cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

Team 4

Iowa Archery Season

Buck 8 pt- 6″ Tine

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2468-1.jpg

2. IMG_2461.jpg

3. IMG_2468.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice Buck.

sticker

It’s just a doe on the last day, but I had to register something.

Attachments:
    1. 20161230_172931.jpg

2. 20161230_165118-1.jpeg

bmiller41
    La Crosse, WI

Shot this WI 8pt 11/1/16. Longest tine 7.5″ Team 6

Attachments:
    1. 744973270.jpg

deertracker

Here are the winners for this years contest:

1st place- Team 6
    -bmiller41
    -prieser
    -Randy Weiland

2nd place- Team 4
    -targaman
    -Jason Beaulieu
    cboutdoors

3rd place- Team 2
    -sktrwx2100
    -poomunk
    -dogs

Thanks to everyone who signed up. We didn’t have as many people sign up this year but it is always fun. If you are one of the winners please PM me your address and I will send the gift cards out.
    James

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.