2005 Silverado blower fan

• bigpike

I had an occasional problem with my air/heat. The heat would get stuck. No adjustment. No air. I am leaning towards a faulty blend door here. Then it would go away, next start up things are fine. Last weeks it didnt stop. I started looking in the owner’s manual and checking fuses inside my truck. Then my blower fan goes out. I find a fuse blown under the hood: insert picture above top center. Replaced this fuse yet my blower fan still doesn’t work, my air wont come on, my temp control seems stuck.

Any ideas? My mechanic is booked this week. I have vacation next week. Truck is running great inspite of HVAC issues.

Thank you for any suggestions

Attachments:
    1. 20210719_144704-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20210719_144704-scaled.jpg

Stanley

There is a resistor by the blower motor that controls speed. Usually you will get like one or two speeds and nothing else. It’s pretty cheap like $30 and takes maybe 10 mins. YouTube has videos on how to replace them. Might want to replace your cabin filter while you are in that area maybe it’s plugged and restricting some air flow as well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Most likely the stuck on heat issue is a blend door actuator. However that has no control on the blower not working so most likely not related. So either the blower motor or resistor, try tapping on the motor, if it starts back up replace it. We have also seen underhood fuse block problems with those that can cause all sorts or issues but usually unrelated to hvac. I have a shop that can fix this week in the north metro if you would like.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Stanley is probably correct. My 2000 – 1500 had all the problems he mentioned and would also collected debris through the front cowl screen (would stall out the fan).

You have to drop the blower motor out to get to it.

I had what could of built a birds nest before I cleaned it out.

Have replaced the resister twice and periodically blow out the cabin filters.

JEREMY
    BP

What heater control system do you have? Is it CJ2 or CJ3. If its CJ2 the climate control version it could very well be your control head in the dash. Used to sell alot of them including two in the 2006 i used to have. FYI no cabin filter in that truck unless retro fitted.

deertracker

There is a resistor by the blower motor that controls speed. Usually you will get like one or two speeds and nothing else. It’s pretty cheap like $30 and takes maybe 10 mins. YouTube has videos on how to replace them. Might want to replace your cabin filter while you are in that area maybe it’s plugged and restricting some air flow as well.

This was my issue as well in my 2002. However mine went bad a few months later again. Found that the fan was going bad which caused the resistor to go. Replaced them both and good to go.
    DT

Coletrain27

in my experience if the resister goes bad the fan speeds dont work intermittently, they quit working forever.

munchy
    NULL

I went through like a dozen resistors on my 2005 Colorado. More than likely the culprit.

munchy
    NULL

in my experience if the resister goes bad the fan speeds dont work intermittently, they quit working forever.

Depends how bad it’s fried. Some will have an intermittent issue while others have an all or none.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

I had similar issues with my 2005 Silverado. Re-calibrating the climate control system fixed it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mine did the same 3 times resistor was the issue. Until the 3rd resistor. Then I did both the fan and resistor. Never had another issue

bigpike

Thanks for all the help! I tested the motor and it read good all 360 degrees. Hooked wires to the lead and hit it with 12 and it kicks like a mule. Install it and put in a new resistor. Takes off no problem, will see about the blend door as I run it. $80 for the part. Not bad and I’m happy for the fix.

Thanks again I appreciate it.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Check the wires going to that resistor pack as there were some issues with the insulation melting on them

bigpike

Check the wires going to that resistor pack as there were some issues with the insulation melting on them

New wiring harness included. No meltdown on old one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.