2.79′ in Red Wing last night

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m thinking my River Rock Gauge is going down for the summer.

11/15/21 3.86
    6/5/21 3.86 and dropping

The National Weather Service posted the forecast this morning.

The Lake Pepin Ice Thickness reports were taken today but they aren’t posted as of now.

Link to Ice Thickness Reports

Attachments:
    1. redm5_hg.png

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

24 hours later and bumped up to 3.12′.

5 rigs at the back channel ramp at 7 amish this morning.
    Yesterday about 4 pm there were 50+ rigs left in the lot and the road. Not nearly the boats as the weekend.

Anyone drive by Colvill lately? That normally opens before Bay Point.

Still no update on the Corps Lake Pepin ice thickness.

On another more somber note, I sure miss River Rat Randy sending me txt messages in all hours of the night asking if I have looked at the river forecast! frown

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Still over 20″ of ice in a few places on the lake.

We could be set up for some significant ice jams in areas. We’ve got the perfect storm of reasonably thick ice with no snow cover and well above average temps, meaning shorelines are going fast. As the water levels rise this breaks free chunks of ice that still have a couple weeks to melt. Generally the broken stuff is a foot or under. This could be very different.

For comparison’s sake, they still measured over 20″ of ice this week in a couple spots, while exactly one year ago they were already done with their ice measurements on Lake Pepin for the season.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Agreed Bucky! The Corp just updated the ice thickness taken yesterday.

There’s a LOT of 24 to 35″ thick ice yet.

The lock are opening today, not that anyone can get through Pepin, but I don’t want to have a dock in the water when it does break free!!

Ron S

BK I drive around Pepin once a week (driving Miss Daisy, actually FW ) just to get out a bit.

Headed north on 61 I always take a quick glance at Colvill. tue it was all ice about 10’ out from ramp to the channel. Not the best report but a quick glance.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Ron! If temps hold like they say they are to, Colvill will be open next weekend. yay

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The first tow of the year made it through L&D 11 yesterday.

The Motor Vessel W. RED HARRIS is near Harpers Fairy and in the lead of the two tows heading this way.

Last nights reading at Red Wing went to 3.38′. Predictions are 5.8′ in Red Wing for Friday, a week from today.

Good fishing flow. Not so good for the spawn I wouldn’t think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.