1st time skid steer buyer

• rubberduck
    east bethel

So…
    I’m looking at purchasing a used bobcat skiddy. Got my heart set on 763 or S160.Does anyone have any pointers on What to look for(besides wet spot) whether good or bad. Would like to stay sub 3000 hours. Thank,RD

Snake ii’s

Stay away from anything that has a Peugot engine. I’ve read they are the worst performing engine Bobcat ever used.

I have a 1986 843 with and Isuszu diesel motor. Love it. Had a mid 70’s with a wisconsin gas motor a few years back. Both dependable, the 843 is a beast.

Search skid steer forums – there’s a lot of good information and lot’s of experience that is shared. Post your question and you’ll get a lot of good advice.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Those 2 models are good picks. Both run a Kubota diesel and seem extremely reliable. We have an ’04 S160. Bought with around 2,300hrs and now have around 2,800 with next to no issues. If you can find one in your price range, I’d go S160 because of the fact you get a turbo engine with about 10 more horse. If you plan to do any digging, you’ll be glad you did. Maintenance records would be a huge plus looking at a used skidsteer. Check for leaks at engine (unlikely), and all hose connections. Check for play in all of the boom and bucket pivot points (there will likely be some, but shouldn’t be excessive). And I’ve always been a little skeptical of machines that have been repainted. The drive system is another area to look at, but somebody else may have a better idea what to look for there. We haven’t had any issues with that.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks! I Def want a Kubota motor.I agree 100% Im also sketchy about painted machines. Heard a lot of auction nazis buy a turd and polish it and flip it. Now I’m looking at an decent S185 3046 hrs for 22500. Thinking about offering 18000 cash and go from there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Nobody owns an ASV brand??? There made in grand rapids mn by a member here!!!

Tom schmitt

Never owned an asv, but ran them at work. Awesome machine.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I would take the 160 over the 763 any day. It came with and option of a 56 hp turbo engine or a 46 hp non turbo. The 46 hp is adequate for most jobs the 160 will do but if you get the turbo the power diff is huge. It has 2 tilt cyls. instead of 1. Elec/hyd parking brake and much more. Test drive it and get it up to operating temp. Put it under heavy load and turn slowly. If you hear a grinding or clunking noise, its most likely the drive chain on one side or the other. Drives need to come apart to repair. If one side seems to go faster with the levers both engaged all the way, that is just an adjustment. I would jack it up and check to make sure there isn’t excessive play in the final drives. They are great machines. I have the S185 on the farm and I use it everyday. Outside of regular maint. its been an awesome skid steer. Good Luck in your search.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Bobcat makes a good machine but me personally favor the Gehl skid steers as they don`t have all the fancy electronics. It is an easy basic machine to work on that any one with mechanical skills can repair themselves.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Well the 763 and the S160 are now out of the picture. Went with a 02 S185. Didn’t pay that much more than a 763. Picked it up for 21 with 3046 hrs. Lotsa life left…….. hopefully😉 thanks for all you input! RD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.