13 Fishing Free fall reel reviews?

• Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Anyone out there get this reel last year? Any reviews? looking possibly to add this to my line-up this year.

BrianF

Hi Matt! After trying nearly every in-line reel in the market, including the original Black Betty, the Freefall is my favorite. Perfect? No. But, better than the rest IMO and is the one I wanna reach for every time I open up the rod case. You’d probably like the Freefall, if you like the in-line design generally. If not, I’ll buy it from you. ????

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks for the feed back Brian! I do love the in-line reels for panfish and not having to use two hands to operate one sounds pretty appealing! I’m an overhand rod gripper and am hoping that release trigger will work with that style of grip? Will probably need to hit the release trigger with my middle finger I’m thinking? The new White Out Free Fall looks pretty sexy! Will pair nicely with my new Green Hornet Ace Custom Rod.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Good find Kong! I’ve never seen that reel before!?

Kong

They are nice. They have very good drag systems which is what I look for when I buy my multipliers. I have not compared the weight to some of the 13 fishing reels, and find it to be a touch heavy, but they work slick!!

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Good price point too! That’s why I’ve used the cheapest Eagle Claws for years to save on weight, but still have the in-line effect. Black Betty’s are just wayyyy too heavy for these feather light custom rods. Hopefully the Free Fall has cut out the weight…

mrpike1973

I returned mine last year was not impressed at all especially for the price.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Reasons besides the price mrpike?

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I tried one last year, I was impressed with the drop and drag but had occasions when the line would slip between the spool and the housing, otherwise it was a good reel…

mrpike1973

If you set the reel down at all the line would freeze or get stuck. I did not think the drag was that great either just my opinions same problems as iceager01 had to. When fighting a fish always had to make sure the line was not stuck in the housing lost to many fish and lures.

Brennon Nielson

i bought one and loved it! im really trying to decide whether to buy another original freefall or to buy the new freefall ghost at a much cheaper price for my new TUCR FUSION that is coming sometime next week.(I HOPE) but definately am a big fan. also gonna replace my cheap eagle claw with the new “decent” inline reel from one 3 tackle. seems like a good inline for that $35 price point. but i will definately say that the freefall is my favorite reel i have used. really smooth drag and i havent had any problems with my and have fished it anywhere from 5′ to 80+’. i was an over the handle holder until i got this reel and now i am a converted pistol gripper. it just feels right with this reel lol

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve got the Free Fall Ghost on back order at Cabela’s. It will pair nicely with my Ace Custom rods Naked noodle for a top end pannie set up!

Attachments:
    1. Ace.jpg

2. Free-fall.png

hnd

in shallow water they are fine i guess but ultimately i’ve gone back to spinning reels.

the free fall is way more “free falling” than other in lines but i still find my self stripping line off it with 3mm jigs and in deeper water. i didn’t like the trigger spot as with gloves you hit it frequently and start free spooling. Its drag system is really crappy like all the inlines are as well.

In all the years of using inlines (starting with the okuma fly reel probably because of James’ use) i’ve really not seen the benefit outside of just having new toys to tinker with. lure spin has never really come into play either.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

In-lines have been working great for me for many years now! Not sure what everyone’s deal is with the complaints on the drags for the in-lines? Put a little Quantum Hot sauce grease and oil on the gears/friction points of the reel components and you’re golden. I’ve landed a 10lb walleye on 4lb line with a cheap Eagle Claw no problem… Played her out until she was tired with that Eagle Claw star drag like a fiddle!

Attachments:
    1. EYE.jpg

BrianF

The drag works okay for me. Not as smooth as a high quality spinning reel, but good enough.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

Brennon Nielson

I’ve got the Free Fall Ghost on back order at Cabela’s. It will pair nicely with my Ace Custom rods Naked noodle for a top end pannie set up!

the ghost is pretty sweet looking. im really just wanting to test out the drag compared to the original. the ghost has a disk system drag where the original has a USA carbon drag on it. we ordered both at my store so i will play with both before i buy lol

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

That must have been the true test for the drag on these Brian! Nice Sturg! I remember you telling me about it, must have been a great battle! waytogo

Lefty76

I bought a Freefall last year. For 4mm or heavier jigs, I really liked it. Also very handy when used as a dead stick. With one hand you can raise or lower the bait without taking attention away from the rod you are jigging with. Can’t do that with any other reel I have ever owned.

I have a fishing buddy who recently opened up his Freefall. He removed one of the magnets, and says that reel will drop a 3mm jig much faster than his other Freefall. I’m not mechanically inclined, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend everyone go altering their expensive reels. But I am interested to see how his reel performs on the ice this season.

Mark Spesard

What’s the difference between the freefall and freefall ghost except for $40 and color?

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

The only difference I see is the Ghost has a Composite frame Versus the original has an Aluminum frame.

Attachments:
    1. Free-Fall.png

Brennon Nielson

Actually the original has an airfoil carbon frame and the ghost is composite. The original also has trick shop compatible parts and a usa carbon drag system. The ghost is not trick shop compatible and has an oiled felt drag. The original has an aluminum spool and the ghost has a composite

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Makes Sense, so they could get the price point down on the Ghost.

Brennon Nielson

i have a freefall ghost coming next month. i will compare it to my original and post some feedback on it. i wont be able to field test it until end of november first of december but i will give some initial feedback

Mark Spesard

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Brookman wrote:</div>

i have a freefall ghost coming next month. i will compare it to my original and post some feedback on it. i wont be able to field test it until end of november first of december but i will give some initial feedback

Perfect. I’m sure they’re both great reels. I was just curious. I’m still using the original 6061’s. Been working great for years

Brennon Nielson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brennon Nielson wrote:</div>

Perfect. I’m sure they’re both great reels. I was just curious. I’m still using the original 6061’s. Been working great for years

i have wanted to try a 6061 out but at the price they are and the fact that i love the freefall function i find myself saying ill just spend the extra money lol

Mark Spesard

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mark Spesard wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brennon Nielson wrote:</div>

i have wanted to try a 6061 out but at the price they are and the fact that i love the freefall function i find myself saying ill just spend the extra money lol

Lol I hear that. If they were on the market before i bought the 6061s, I would’ve had those. Haha. They are sweet reels

jarrod holbrook

I had a 6061. It was well made but too heavy to balance and the drag wasn’t that smooth. I tore it down, polished it up and hot sauced it. It got a lot better. I have gone back to spinning reels. I bought the last three symmetry 500 from the local shop and never looked back. After running inlines next to spinning reels we never saw a difference. If the bight is that sensitive we usually set more tip ups, then resort to playing cribbage and drinking lol!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.