Wingdam Eyes – Pool 4

• Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Recently moved to Kenosha, Wi. (Basically very southeast point of state). Have yet to find any great fishing down here. Not saying it doesn’t exist but I have not found it.

The company I work for decided at the last minute I needed to attend a training class on some of our new product so off to white bear lake, MN it was for the week. Here’s the kicker they gave me all day to travel on Monday. The light bulb in my head went off right away! I can leave early, pull the boat up and be fishing on the river by noon, fish until dark and then drive to hotel.

Had everything ready the night before so Monday morning I hopped in the truck and headed north. Stopped in at Pepin for a couple hours and a few of my favorite spots produced nothing. Made the call to get off and trailer up to Everts. Great call!

After a quick stop in and chat with Kari I was set to go. Went up to the dam side and started pitching 1/8 oz bfishn tackle dragging jigs. I was getting a ton of short bites. I changed to a fire tiger 1/8 oz crappie jig (smaller hook) and the hook ups started! Boated over a dozen eyes in last hour and half of daylight. 5 being over 20″ and biggest being 23″. I positioned the boat basically on the point of wing dam just down current a bit and would pitch the jig up over wing dam at about 45 deg and slowly pull it over wing dam straight back to boat. Not sure if this is proper ediquite for fishing wing dams but it was what worked for me.
    So here I sit in my hotel typing this story trying to figure out an excuse to tell my boss so he lets me go early on Friday to travel back so I can stop in and fish Everts again. I grew up always fishing lakes mid summer but I have to say. There is a lot of great fishing to be had on the river this time of year as well Until next time good luck and tight lines.

Attachments:
    1. image63.jpg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Very nice. Good to here you found some success. As far as etiquette, let the fish do the talking. Sounds like you were listening.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice report and glad everything worked out for you…ps we can help you out by calling your boss and telling him you have an emergency at home and need to leave early….:)

What are fishing buddies for?? LOL!

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Awesome! you had the perfect etiquette! I only went down there once last year and hope to make a few visits this year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Very nice. Good to here you found some success. As far as etiquette, let the fish do the talking. Sounds like you were listening.

Darn right. There’s no wrong way to catch a fish!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well…almost no wrong way.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Great job on the walleyes!

As for finding some good fishing near Kenosha, hasn’t anyone told you about Lake Michigan yet?

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Joel,
    I do plan on spending some time out on the big lake. Just need to do some research and get together a plan. I’m not big into trolling so I would like to find other ways to fish Lake Michigan. All I can find info on is people trolling the kenosha and Racine harbor for salmon and trout.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.