Want to fish sturgeon but not sure how?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s more then one way to skin a cat or catch a sturgeon.

Take a looky see.

Brian Klawitter (BK) provides excellent advice for gear, bait, and strategies in the article posted on our website:

A Lake Sturgeon Starter

BTW, don’t forget to tune in to see BK on Minnesota Bound with Ron Schara this Sunday (11:05 p.m. on KARE Channel 11).
    It’s a show that you might find hard to swallow.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When you going to write a book?

Doesn’t even have to be a good one since there are no good tactics for lake sturgeon books.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Want to Co Author it with me Andy? That way we’ll sell at least two! )

There’s so much info on the net, unless someone came up with a radially new and different approach the book would quickly become a Best Dust Collector in the warehouse.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well does anyone know about the anchovy anchor bait bomb?
    Doh! Now that’s out there.

Well reading the reports, it sounds like wind is affecting people’s fishing. Even going home early. I think I should put out an ‘anchoring in wind’ book.
    With sturgeon being open nearly year round it’ll open it up for better understanding. I’ll be targeting them frequently next year assuming I’m still living in the area and the new regs take affect.
    Where are those sturgeon going to be caught in April or may, December or July? Is it in the same spots with the same bait as we find them in September and October?

Lots to learn about finding sturgeon. Lots… But maybe I’m the only blind squirrel stumbling around trying to find a nut.

Hey Brian. Why do sturgeon jump? ;)

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Can you give a link to this new catch and release season? The info I find is dated saying its close being done deal and kind of scetchy on facts on if its state wide. And info stating the St.croix a rainy regs stay the same. I’m confused.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Can you give a link to this new catch and release season? The info I find is dated saying its close being done deal and kind of scetchy on facts on if its state wide. And info stating the St.croix a rainy regs stay the same. I’m confused.

This isn’t final yet so you might have to wait for next season regs book. That’s what I’ve been told by the DNR.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

As with most fish its very easy to over think how to catch them. Nothing beats time on the water and eliminating things that don’t work. Its pretty amazing how many random spots we have stumbled into that have been lights out for catching fish.

Catching fish in the wind isn’t that hard, however it does take more work and a boat that plays nice in the wind (there are some boats that its just not worth the hassle of fighting the battle). When the wind is hard and heavy from the South it almost becomes more work than fun, not impossible though. Given a choice I’ll pick my days based on wind speed and direction.

As for the year round season, yes they are moving forward with the rule change and will most likely take effect March of 2015. This is first hand information straight from the MNDNR.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Brian. Why do sturgeon jump?

To quote an $18,000. Florida study….”because they can”. )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

As with most fish its very easy to over think how to catch them.

I agree. Same with any other fish that we use strictly live/dead bait to catch.

Put something on a hook. Drop it to the bottom. Wait….MOve…Wait…Um..There’s more to it, and you know it. Some of us have a lot of time on the water and it’s good for us to prove our standards wrong by picking a random spot and doing very well from time to time. It’s good to challenge our “Tactics” frequently as you and I know that they don’t always work.

It Wasn’t that long ago someone came up with lateral movement and channel catfish, this likely happens with most species to some degree and i think Brad would agree.

Always more pieces to a puzzle.

Good news is that next year we have more than 6 weeks to legally target them.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I guess I just agree with Brian on the book thing, mostly because all the information you need to know is right here and/or other places on the web. I think a guy could really get frustrated trying to figure these fish out, instead I say just have fun with it, if you are not catching fish, someone else in the boat is, or the guy 100ft away is. Sometimes you are the pigeon sometimes the statue. At this point we sort of know what works and what doesn’t. Learn from each other. Speaking of which, I must say I hate bells, but after the past couple trips I think I’m a believer in your bells tactic FBRM. ) Now I can play cards, mess around on my phone, or close my eyes for a few minutes and not miss a bite.

In return of that tip I’ll share another tactic. Sturgeon like certain kinds of music. Key in on what is playing in the background when you are catching fish. There should be a noticeable pattern towards a certain artist or genre. Then when things are tough you can pull that out that card and play it. I sh!t you not, it worked for us the other night. I won’t say who the artist is, but as soon as she started wailing, we had a double. LOL

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Haha.

I’ll keep that in mind.
    Very true about the pigeon and statue.

Bells are awesome. Yeah, they are loud, but should only go off when a fish hits or your reeling in.

Zip tie them bells on. Make sure boat rocking isn’t setting off the bells (Defeats purpose of bells and drives you wacko) with rods in rod holders, a slight tap on the rod should sound the bells.

Play your cards. Hear the bells. GEt on the rod. Second the tip moves a 2nd time, reel down on em.
    OH, and make sure you have a variety of bells on so you know which one got hit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m getting a bell ring tone and anchoring next to you guys. )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m holding out on getting hearing aids…I enjoy the quiet too much. D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.