Trailer Tire Wear

• Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Before leaving town Friday I noticed that one of my tires is wearing on the outside. I walked around to look at the other tire to find the same thing; wearing on the outside.

Now I have owned this trailer for ten years and have always had even tire wear. The spring of 2013 I did put on a new axel, so I’m thinking this could be part of the problem.

So, how does a guy go about fixing this? Not sure if any or a specialty shop does this?

brad-o
    Mankato

Good thing its the trailer only a few things that can go wrong. I would start with air pressure,tires out of balance,broken leaf spring,

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Same issue except opposite for the last boat trailer. Axle was bent down in middle. Never got it fixed, just got new boat:)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Before leaving town Friday I noticed that one of my tires is wearing on the outside. I walked around to look at the other tire to find the same thing; wearing on the outside.

Now I have owned this trailer for ten years and have always had even tire wear. The spring of 2013 I did put on a new axel, so I’m thinking this could be part of the problem.

So, how does a guy go about fixing this? Not sure if any or a specialty shop does this?

My first guess is that the new axle is over rated for the load it is carrying. Did you buy a heavier axle than the original axle?

Most axles have a pre-bend in them which will straighten some as the weight of the trailer and boat is applied. If your axle is not flexing down because it is too lightly loaded, then the tires will not be perpendicular (or at least perpendicular to the point as designed) and the outside edge will wear first. A good shop should be able to take some of the pre-bend out of your axle if there is too much.

The other thing that might be wrong with the new axle is the spindles themselves may have been welded on incorrectly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.