Recommendations on trolling motor to fish wing dams or troll a certain depth

• eyellaw10

I would appreciate some insight on the best trolling motor and options/accessories that will keep me in position on the wing dams as well as have the flexibility to follow a certain depth while trolling. This is for a bow mounted set up. I’m in a 20ft fiberglass boat currently running a 12v minn kota which is useless on the river. I have room for running 24 or 36 volts.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’m not sure what you’ll need for thrust, but a Terrova with I-Pilot will to the trick.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

YOu’ll never regret having too much bow mount power!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not sure what you’ll need for thrust, but a Terrova with I-Pilot will to the trick.

@eyellaw10

Given you’re running a 20′ boat, go for the 36v. Terrova w/ Ipilot. The spot lock is really handy when fishing wingdams.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Given you’re running a 20′ boat, go for the 36v. Terrova w/ Ipilot. The spot lock is really handy when fishing wingdams.

I missed half of your question. With regards to “or troll a certain depth” portion if you have Humminbird electronics you can buy Lakemaster chips that will allow you to pick a depth to troll and the Humminbird will network with your bow mount trolling motor and do the driving for you. Here’s the link to the Humminbird I Pilot Link info that ‘splains how it all works together.

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/i-Pilot-Link/

rogan

how well does the spot lock acually work? some say it takes along time for it to lock in but then does ok. how tight of a spot would you say it can hold? thinking of getting one if it works as billed.

Thanks, Rogan

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

how well does the spot lock acually work? some say it takes along time for it to lock in but then does ok. how tight of a spot would you say it can hold? thinking of getting one if it works as billed.

Thanks, Rogan

@rogan

I don’t find it takes a long time to lock in at all. The accuracy of the “spot lock” depends a lot on conditions. If you get a nasty cross-wind spot lock can really struggle when holding in current. Most of the time it seems to keep me within 15′ – 20′ of the spot which is pretty good considering you’ll swing a bit even when anchored with a single anchor.

Is it a perfect solution? No sir, it is not. But there’s times when it works pretty good and it beats the heck out of pulling up and resetting an anchor over and over.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ideal conditions it hold pretty good. Poor conditions it has to work to hold a spot. Then again in poor conditions I have to work to hold a spot to. At least with the I pilot I can fish and let it do its thing.

Didnt Everts have Terrova for sale not to long ago?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I’ve had both, and the spot lock on the motorguide xi5 is far superior for anchor locking. The depth integration isn’t out yet for lowrance products, but should be soon. I absolutely love the jog feature on the anchor mode.

Moving 5 feet any direction is way better than anything I ever did with my ipilot.I’m not sponsored by motorguide, but I love the spot lock so much I can’t stop telling people about it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve had both, and the spot lock on the motorguide xi5 is far superior for anchor locking. The depth integration isn’t out yet for lowrance products, but should be soon. I absolutely love the jog feature on the anchor mode.

Moving 5 feet any direction is way better than anything I ever did with my ipilot.I’m not sponsored by motorguide, but I love the spot lock so much I can’t stop telling people about it.

I’ve been told the same by people I trust that have used both with regards to the spot lock. I know there’s some features missing yet with the Motor Guides but when they get it all up and running I expect they’ll give the Minn Kota a run for its money. I for one can’t wait to get rid of my Humminbird graphs and switch to Lowrance once everything is up and working with the Motor Guide troller.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Ditto James on the Lowrance, I currently run a Lowrance HDS7 touch and Love it. I run 1 Hummingbird 798 just to work with the IPILOT. I like the Terrova With IPILOT but I LOVE the Lowrance Graphs.

igotone

I for one can’t wait to get rid of my Humminbird graphs and switch to Lowrance once everything is up and working with the Motor Guide troller.

really — so much for the bird

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The biggest gripes I have are the lack of a display, which I hear is coming, and the auto pilot feature is a bit quirky. I really liked the old school compass driven auto pilot, the gps versions have always reacted too slow for my taste. That goes for the “Advanced autopilot” feature I had on my old ipilot too. I always used the original.

The other nice thing is the updates should be doable by downloading to sd card and sticking it into the lowrance linked to it. I trust that motorguide will be able to correct most issues with software. That being said, anchor lock is the most important feature for me by far.

I spend all summer on wing dams, and the spring and fall on current seems. I do like to use the troller to steer while trolling, and am hoping for the auto pilot resolution to come soon.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The biggest gripes I have are the lack of a display, which I hear is coming, and the auto pilot feature is a bit quirky. I really liked the old school compass driven auto pilot, the gps versions have always reacted too slow for my taste. That goes for the “Advanced autopilot” feature I had on my old ipilot too. I always used the original.

I’m new to Ipilot this year and can say the same. The advanced seems like needs ideal wind or current conditions to work really well. It seems I have preferred the compass Ipilot feature. Might have to ditch the terrova once motorguide make the jump. I’ve also found the damn thing spinning around on anchor lock when it says that it’s not possible.

Believe it or not I decided to rig my boat with new hds8 and 7 and bought a terrova to go with it. I’m kinda glad I avoided the bird.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have the I-Pilot Link and an 1198 talking with an Ethernet.
    The only time I ever leave the console is to deploy or retrieve the Terrova.
    I use the GPS setting on the remote to navigate and don’t seem to have any issues with that.
    I use spot lock all the time, I almost never troll.
    I use the cursor on the 1198 to pick the next location that I want to navigate to. Turn off the spot lock. Click the GOTO button on the 1198 and choose the location. It takes control of the Terrova, goes to the newly selected location. Beeps to let me know it is there and the prop has stopped.
    Push the spot lock and am at the new location electronically anchored.
    Works really sweet.
    Most people fishing around me are unaware that I just moved the boat 20 feet from my last location.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The Motorguide XI5’s ability to Anchor Mode and Jog in 5′ increments without disengaging the Anchor mode is a game changer in a big wind, current or just to pick a spot apart.

dairycat

I like to stick with what works, Humminbird and Minn Kota have great customer service. When something might go’s wrong THEY fix it. The other two choices are hit or miss, everyone has there preference but I like what works. So far no problems with having the terrova and linking to a humminbird. I love the features of the terrova and I-link:) To each there own….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.