Pool 4 Trolling: Leadcore vs. Mono vs. Braid

• cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

While on the topic, I fish Pool 4 primarily and have trolled both leadcore and mono (have yet to try braid) I had success trolling cranks with mono for a few years when I was first cutting my teeth on the river however after talking to several “river rats” I was convinced that leadcore was the way to go. Is there more of a learning curve with leadcore compared to mono? I am getting frustrated with my lack of success with the leadcore. If you could pick between leadcore, braid or mono for trolling cranks on Lake Pepin and Pool 4 what you choose? Also, would that choice be appropriate for a yearly trip lets say to either Mille Lacs, Oahe, or LOTW?

Thanks in advance!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I don’t think I would go anywhere without a set of trolling rods setup with lead core and another set of rods setup with braid.
    Others would probably choose mono over braid but either way, my lead core rods are still coming with.

The two sets of rods allow me to target different depths with ease. Lead core allows me to go deep while the other rods allow me to troll suspended fish.
    The braid or mono lines also work well when trolling in water less than 10′ deep. Sometimes we troll in water as shallow as 4 or 5′ deep. No need for lead core in water that shallow.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I echo what Joel says above, though I favor shallow water and often don’t bring the leadcore unless I know I’m going to be fishing deeper. I’m comfortable trolling braid or mono in water up to 13′ or so. It’s all about line diameter to achieve depth. If I’m targeting deeper then I use leadcore.

Leadcore for me is a constant speed, constant depth. I don’t have a kicker motor so I fight to stay in relatively same depth, same speed. If that’s not working, I have to adjust depth or speed and then line out for leadcore.

I don’t think your question should be an either/or. Get both or come to the water with a game plan and one type of setup and work it!!

ET

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Just a you could troll some deep running baits, i.e.: tail dancer deep, husky jerk deep, X-Rap magnum to name a few. Some of these get down 25′ to 30′ with braid

phoyem
    Minneapolis

My setup this summer on pepin (when there are enough licences on the boat) has been 2 lead rods (usually running #5 shad raps), 2 bottom bouncer rods (braid with mono leader; x raps have been working really well for me lately), and 2 planer rods with deep diving cranks (8lb braid; reef runners and deep walleye divers usually best).

It’s been working well for me on pepin and the croix, and allows me to fish 18-22 fow efficiently.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

My preference over having leadcore is braid with snap weights. 30# braid or 10# mono with a 1.5 to 2 oz snap weight will run at basically the same depths as lead core. I frequently run a rod with a 2 oz snap weight over a rod (same side of the boat) with a 4 oz snap weight. Spooling up with braid or mono is more versatile from the point that you can do the same things by adding snap weights. I always have 2 leadcore rods along but if your space or budget is limited, braid or mono can be used in more depths, long line for shallow or add a snap weight to get deeper.

Not trying to talk anybody out of running lead core because some times it is the ticket. Lead core in general is less speed sensitive that snap weights but takes a little longer to deploy.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Dale,

How much line do you typically let out before attaching the snap weight?

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Dale,

How much line do you typically let out before attaching the snap weight?

I will typically attach the snap 6-10′ ahead of the bait when fishing the Mississippi. Fishing in higher clarity I might go to 20′. Two reasons for keeping the snap close are; you don’t have to remove the snap prior to netting a fish and you don’t have to remove it when clearing debris off your bait.

Started using the 50/50 method where if you are going to let out 80′ of line you would place the snap at 40′. Having to remove the snap while bring in a fish increases the chance of losing the fish so now I make it so I can net the fish without removing the snap.

When fishing alone with a shorty rod I may go as close as 4′ to make sure I can get the net under the fish.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Dale,

Thanks for answering my question.

I want to give snap weights a try and that will help me get started.

What brand of snap weights do you use?

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Dale,

Thanks for answering my question.

I want to give snap weights a try and that will help me get started.

What brand of snap weights do you use?

Off Shore Tackle OR16 Pro Snap Weight Clip. These are the clips with the pin in the center of the pad. Your line goes below the pin to make sure it does not come off. Get a few extras because you will lose one on occasion.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks Dale.

I will have to pick some up and give them a try.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

BenC true that- and ubet Dale- Snap weights can be deadly at times in the lake. If u hit it right, and work them right, you will only be able to run 2 rods with snaps! Every technique has it’s time and place, eventually you will rule out the ones that take too long to really drill them, if that’s your deal.

1bogey

In regards to the advice on the trip. Other than Erie, Oahe is my favorite place to chase walleye. I have been there in June, July and August, July in the Pierre area is amazing. Lots of fish on Slow Death, and trolling cranks with braid, and snap weights.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.